Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For all you track day people, what are some good tips to make the best out of a track day. What items you like/need to take. What are common causes to lowsiding the bike on the track adn how to avoid them.

Also, does insurance still cover you in case anything happens, since its not a race and instructional???

·
I m starting to eat my R6
790 Posts
from my 1st track day experience:
1. tires - make sure u have good tires with enough meat left
2. ride within your limits: for me this meant control of speed and following the race line vs high speed+hard breaking+missing entry/apex/exit points.
3. bring lunch+water; u'd prolly be ok with just 1 gas tank on your 1st day

·
Registered
42 Posts
As someone already said, ride within your limits and be predictable. Those are the 2 most important track day rules.

I have State Farm insurance and they covered my bike when I totalled it at a track day. I told them the truth, didn't make up any BS about deer jumping out at me and they covered it. Just make sure it's not a competitive event and tell them so.

Drink lots of fluids. Stay out of the sun when not riding and try to rest as much as you can. Remember you're out there to have fun and scaring yourself silly is no fun.

·
Ride for you, not others.
229 Posts
No one can tell you how to avoid a lowside but I would advise you not to be concerned with how fast you are going or lap times. Just try to be smooth and relax. There is no need to break any records on your first day at the track. Also, make sure you read the tips and rules of the track day organization that you ride with. Most will send you an e-mail with a list of things to check/bring.

·
$4 a gal. 4 gal. a shot
933 Posts
Depending on the organization there will be control riders, talk to them a lot. Ask to follow them to learn the lines. They will see when you are on the right line and start picking up the pace and you will be going faster without doing stuff like hamming the straight and then braking too hard. Have them follow you to work on body positioning. Be very open to suggestions because there is a lot of good stuff you can learn from the other riders there.
Bring more water than you will even thing you need, I went though a lot.

·
Registered
331 Posts
smooth throttle and front brake actuation are key to getting comfortable on the bike and settling the chassis at speed. hit your marks and keep your eyes up.

Remember to breath!

Slowly feed the throttle off the corners-- the throttle should turn at about the same rate at the straightening of the bike.

neutral throttle feel is key to staying smooth in the corners.

avoid a death grip on the bars while on the bike. Loosening the grip on the bars allows the bike to turn in faster...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I could care less about lap times, and will be covering my speedo as well with tape.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
get them tires warmed up before you wack that throttle....
ummm make sure no other bike is leaking oil....(went down cause of that)
have a change of underooos.
drink lots of water, and take lots of potassium.

·
goofball royale
161 Posts
Stuff to bring:

1. bike key (don't laugh, people forget them)
2. comfy chair
3. ez-up or other shade device if you're not getting a garage
4. cooler w/ plenty of water/gatorade/food
4a. eat a little snack between each session instead of one big heavy lunch
5. sunscreen
6. 5 gallon gas jug
7. tools
8. extra painter's tape (for your lights) and duct tape (for your wheel weights)
9. cash (some tracks have an entry fee)
10. camera

Advice:
I have lowsided before due to cold, overinflated tires. :dunce: Make sure you know the proper pressures for your tires for the track. Call the manufacturer's customer service line if you have to, but most of the time you'll see somewhere around 30 front, 30 rear (measured when cold). Also make sure you give your tires plenty of time to warm up each session before you start hitting the turns hard (2 laps is probably safe).

+1 on asking the the track guides / instructors to lead you around the track. Do this as much as you want and maybe ask them to pick up the pace later if you're getting better at it. They'll show you the best lines, then after the session's over you can ask them questions and they'll critique you.

Get your photos at the end of the day so you can check your body positioning. That was the most helpful thing for me as far as developing decent body positioning. I would compare my photos to those of good riders /racers and make adjustments accordingly.

Breathe, relax on the bike and have fun. Like in any sport, tension hampers your ability to perform.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Personally I'd say,

1. Get your tires warm with proper pressures.

2. Ride within your limits. Dont go out there and try to be the fast guy and have an ego b/c people are passing you. Also dont try to be to fast as first b/c you'll actually be slower, you'll be making more mistakes, and probably scaring yourself.

3. Learn the track and your lines. Find a faster rider and try to follow him / her. (yes I said her, lol)

4. If there is a suspension guy there pay the $40 or so to get your suspension set up.

5. HAVE FUN. Its not a race and at the end of the day you dont win anything but the enjoyment of your riding, so dont go kill yourself and learn at your own pace in a safe and fun enviroment.

6. Hydration!!!! and Food. You would be so surprised at how much energy it takes out of you, so keep your food intake up and eat good the day before and keep your fluid intake good.

7. Tape up your speedo, you dont need to know how fast your going and you'll make mistakes looking at it instead of paying attention to your riding.

8. And did I mention HAVE FUN! =)

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Whatever track you're going to, look on youtube for an instructional video. You don't have to follow the lines they take or anything like that, but it will give you a first person view of what the track and the turns look like. Watch it enough so that you memorize the track before you even get there. This will free up your mind to concentrate on other things like riding the bike, instead of trying to learn a track. I do this on every new track I go to and it allows me to get up to 90% speed after the the first session, instead of taking til lunch to learn the track.

Things to bring: Full tool kit, stands if you have them, extra oil, water wetter, lots of water/gatorade, some form of shade if you have it, something to sit on between sessions, a willing to learn attitude. Also, if you have spare parts of anything, bring them too, you never know what you might break. Always have some cash on you too, incase you need something at the track and they don't take credit cards.

Remember too, that most crashes happen when people get antsy on cold tires. This includes the first 2 or 3 sessions in the morning when the track is cold, and the first session after lunch break when you're tires are cold.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts