Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing my first track day soon and know that most track days provide tire changes but was wondering is that just changing the tire? Do I have to mount the wheels myself on the bike. The reason why I am asking is because I don't want it cut into my day and I am not that fast.

Thanks

·
Theturtle7023
1,102 Posts
I'm pretty sure they just put the tire on the rim. Just go practice for a while, it shouldn't take you very long at all to do if you have the tools.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
you should be fine, it's pretty simple and get it done when you need to. my question is, do they balance it afterwards, I'll have to check with my next org, cause it's a lot cheaper at the track than bringing it to a local shop.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you should be fine, it's pretty simple and get it done when you need to. my question is, do they balance it afterwards, I'll have to check with my next org, cause it's a lot cheaper at the track than bringing it to a local shop.
I asked a local shop and they said $185 and the track is only $35 per tire.

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,745 Posts
:popcorn:

No they will not take them off of the bike for you. It is a liabillity that we will not do (track side tire srevice) we expect the rider to deal with their bike. Plus 99% of the time, we are too busy changing that you would miss more track time If I had to do it for you :)

·
16,745 Posts
Balance is included ALWAYS

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
The dunlop vendor I went to was 15 a tire with balancing.

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
Get your tires mounted ahead of time. Getting tires changed at the track is the pits. You will miss track time for it. And if it's in the middle of the day, you're gonna spend a lot of energy in the hot sun.. I prefer to spend my energy riding. :laugh

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get your tires mounted ahead of time. Getting tires changed at the track is the pits. You will miss track time for it. And if it's in the middle of the day, you're gonna spend a lot of energy in the hot sun.. I prefer to spend my energy riding. :laugh
Good call.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Convenient investment: extra set of wheels.

Then you can get a tire change while you take the last few laps on the current tires, swap them out and be on for the next session or do it during lunch.

After you change your own tires 2-3 times, it's a piece of cake. It does take some energy out of you, but if you get there the evening before some shops might be set up so you can do it the night before. Otherwise you'll spend some morning energy doing it (the only energy I have in the morning before my coffee is to walk to the rider's meeting).

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Convenient investment: extra set of wheels.

Then you can get a tire change while you take the last few laps on the current tires, swap them out and be on for the next session or do it during lunch.

After you change your own tires 2-3 times, it's a piece of cake. It does take some energy out of you, but if you get there the evening before some shops might be set up so you can do it the night before. Otherwise you'll spend some morning energy doing it (the only energy I have in the morning before my coffee is to walk to the rider's meeting).
So I decided to change the tires before the track day and take it to a dealer. I'm going to mount the wheels myself.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The tire vendor that shows up to all of our track days does it all. All you have to do is pull up come back in about 20-30 minutes pay the man and ride off. It's a great service and it helps him sell a lot of tires.

·
=]
2,523 Posts
Says the guy who changed his wheels and safety wired them 3 TIMES IN ONE DAY at the track :laugh

·
16,745 Posts
The tire vendor that shows up to all of our track days does it all. All you have to do is pull up come back in about 20-30 minutes pay the man and ride off. It's a great service and it helps him sell a lot of tires.
How many people work for him?

·
Registered
440 Posts
How many people work for him?
It's just him. He always has a lady with him that helps out when she isn't riding but thats it. Plus he only slangs race tires, and at $300-500 a set it's not like he has a line of folks waiting on tire swaps all day.

It's hard to tell from the pic because their bikes are in the way but he's probably got 5 sets of pitbull stands lined up waiting for folks to pull up. The lady Im talking about is sitting down with the pink shirt on.

He's the Dunlop Vendor for CMRA

http://www.whoopiecycles.com/

·
16,745 Posts
It's just him. He always has a lady with him that helps out when she isn't riding but thats it. Plus he only slangs race tires, and at $300-500 a set it's not like he has a line of folks waiting on tire swaps all day.

It's hard to tell from the pic because their bikes are in the way but he's probably got 5 sets of pitbull stands lined up waiting for folks to pull up. The lady Im talking about is sitting down with the pink shirt on.

He's the Dunlop Vendor for CMRA

http://www.whoopiecycles.com/

Ahh ok

·
Registered
61 Posts
Interesting thread...

At my trackdays, we open up the tire service the night before each trackday and encourage riders to use that time to swap their tires.

We charge $15 per wheel if you bring in your own tire, otherwise it's free.

We have helped customers take off/put on their wheels before. The charge is usually dependent on how much "help" we must give. Ideally, we like to teach the customer how to do it themselves, if possible.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts