Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rad Ass
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I'm doing my first track day this weekend. A guy I am going with is telling me my tire is too squared off on the back and I just don't believe it. Also, he is trying to sell me a pair of scrubs he has so he has a little motivation to convince me there is an issue. Whatcha think? Pilot 2CTs ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1374619686.932129.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Dangerously Irish
9,551 Posts
what everyone else said. By the end of the day your tires will be rounded off or like this /\ :laugh

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
heck, I ran my OEM Dunlops with ~4500 street miles AND ~ 8 beginner and intermediate track days for a 2-day TD at NHMS.

Tech said they will watch my pace and if it dropped off, then they'll ask me to swap tires. Needless to say, they bumped me from beginner into the intermediate group on day 2....:laugh

Your tires look a lot more meatier to me than what I was running, although mine were not "squared".

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Another vote for "You'll be fine.". Squared off tire will make the transition to lean angle a little weird, and may not inspire confidence, but it's not going to make you crash.

Ride what ya got, then when you get to hit the track on a set of properly profiled tires it'll be that much more fun. :)

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
I would run them, but if you have to ask the question it's probably better just to get a fresh set. You don't want that playing in the back of your head while riding on the track. You will have enough to worry about. You will want confidence in your tires.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
If its your first trackday than you'll be fine since you'll be going slow to learn the track. But on e you start doing more trackdays than you might to invest in a 2nd set of rims so you can have one set of tires for track and one set for streets.

Once you get more confidence I would certainly change for a good set of track tires that would grip more so that you will have more confidence while riding

1 - 11 of 11 Posts