Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just did my second track day on the R6 yesterday, and got the suspension feeling much better. However, I had some excessive boogering of the rubber making ridges on the leading edge of the tread toward the middle, and then the trailing edge further out toward the sidewalls. My friend actually had this on the trailing edge across the whole tire. I remember seeing this had something to do with rebound damping. Anything you gurus can tell from the pic (aside from the fact I get on the gas too late)?

·
Premium Member
30,463 Posts
That's fine - like Melk said.

Next track day, try adjusting the point coming out of the turn where you roll on the throttle. Typically, once I get my students over their fear of losing traction while on the throttle, they nearly instantly become better racetrack riders.

Good luck - and welcome to the poor house. Hahah

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,251 Posts
Has the suspension been set at all? I see a small compression issue and a small rebound issue, but possibly not worth adjusting for.

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,251 Posts

·
I get paid to get high
735 Posts
Good source of info. I discuss tire wear with Dave frequently. Learn a lot from him each year.

Possibly adjust it also. The triangles I see come from too much compression damping or too tight a chain (limiting suspension travel).
Can you elaborate... triangles?

·
m3lover2
10,522 Posts
The pic I posted is ideal tire wear according to Dave Moss. This is after my last 2 day TD.

Yours looks almost good. I would like to point out the small amount of wear on the thread groove. Im not 100% positive on how to fix that.

On my first TD I wasnt working the throttle hard enough and I was actually picking up rubber from the track. Try to peel it off to make sure if its your rubber or rubber you lifted off the track

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Attachments

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,251 Posts
The pic I posted is ideal tire wear according to Dave Moss. This is after my last 2 day TD.

Yours looks almost good. I would like to point out the small amount of wear on the thread groove. Im not 100% positive on how to fix that.

On my first TD I wasnt working the throttle hard enough and I was actually picking up rubber from the track. Try to peel it off to make sure if its your rubber or rubber you lifted off the track

Was that on a new or freshly serviced shock? The overall tire wear looks excellent.

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,251 Posts
7k miles. It was just set up by Dave Moss and pressures monitored throughout the day

Dave's an animal :fact I feel dumber than dirt every time we converse. Looks like he's got you dialed pretty good and your shock is functioning very well.

·
Ride Safely
1,399 Posts
That's fine - like Melk said.

Next track day, try adjusting the point coming out of the turn where you roll on the throttle. Typically, once I get my students over their fear of losing traction while on the throttle, they nearly instantly become better racetrack riders.

Good luck - and welcome to the poor house. Hahah

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Hey Justin i only did one track day last season and what you mentioned above (losing traction ) is exactly my fear... Hopefully this year i can improve it :)

·
billdozer
1,865 Posts
being a track tire wear thread i figured I'd post my tire that has 2 days on it.

was flipped after the first day

right side:

left side:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts