Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how often do you gents at the track do oil/filter changes?

I have been to 2 track days, novice group and ride street daily. is it time to change the oil and filter, or can I go a couple more track days?

let me know what you all think and how often you change the oil on your track bike. btw I am running Mobil1 synthetic with the Mobil1 filter.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Id change it a max of three track days. Really it depends how you ride and what not. If you regularly see high rpms id change it more often. When I raced mx we changed it every weekend.

·
I hate you Turn 4!
1,890 Posts
I'll go everyother weekend if I'm doing a doing a trackday/race weekend, Just a race weekends I'll go 3-4 races.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
how often do you gents at the track do oil/filter changes?

I have been to 2 track days, novice group and ride street daily. is it time to change the oil and filter, or can I go a couple more track days?

let me know what you all think and how often you change the oil on your track bike. btw I am running Mobil1 synthetic with the Mobil1 filter.
i've been going 2-3 weekends between oil and filter changes. i never change them separately; i figure if i'm gonna do the oil, i'll do the filter, too.

likely, you can go further if you're using a decent synthetic oil and a quality filter. i've talked to racers that change their oil and filter in the spring every year and that's it. not sure i trust any oil that much. it's cheap insurance to change it regularly.

find our amsoil vendor on the forums here and he will hook you up...

s3aturnr

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
i am with those saying every 3-4 track days, and chainging the filter every OTHER oil change. The manual states 8,000 MILES :) Changing every track day is total overkill .. can't hurt, but a waste. Remember, your only changing about 1/2 the oil. over 4 qts is needed from a fresh rebuild, when you change oil your doing what, 2.2qts or so?

·
Pobrecitos
19,910 Posts
i am with those saying every 3-4 track days, and chainging the filter every OTHER oil change. The manual states 8,000 MILES :) Changing every track day is total overkill .. can't hurt, but a waste. Remember, your only changing about 1/2 the oil. over 4 qts is needed from a fresh rebuild, when you change oil your doing what, 2.2qts or so?
This, is something I was not aware of. Interesting for those changing over to full synthetics or different viscosity and weights, so they will have half and half for the first change?

·
Searching for "Smooth"
184 Posts
All the suggestions/recommendations given in this thread are great. I would add to them by suggesting that you keep a milage log to help you determine when to change the oil.

I say this because, the mileage per trackday or race weekend varies for each individual. The advice I have been given by several qualified/experienced engine builders is to change my oil no more than every 300 miles (this is track use only mileage).

To give you a practical example using the typical AMA weekend. Those guys typically run a weekend on the same oil. Their weekend consists of several practice sessions, qualifying and two races of 20+ laps each. Well, that equates to a typical weekend of 300 miles or more. If it's good enough for them, I know it's good enough for a Joe like me.

A typical two day trackday or race weekend for most of us is not 300 miles, however this will vary depending on the individual.

As I say this, I also think of it this way. An oil change will cost you $30-40 bucks, but an engine rebuild or replacement will cost you thousands. So, if keeping a mileage log is too tedious for you. Then just change the oil every 2 to 3 trackdays to help you stay on the safe side of the cost equation!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I use AMSOIL Full Synth and per my engine builder, I change the oil every weekend and the filter every other weekend.
You need to contact me and buy an oil analysis kit !!!! I'd be willing to bet you can go further.. And hopefully you start buying from me so you can get a great price.

This, is something I was not aware of. Interesting for those changing over to full synthetics or different viscosity and weights, so they will have half and half for the first change?
An R-6 holds 3.5 qts DRY... When you change oil and filter, it takes 2.75 qts.. Therefore, there is 3/4 of a qt left in the engine.. not half as said.

No. That's if u change the oil only and not the filter.
If u do both you will be fine.
See above...

All the suggestions/recommendations given in this thread are great. I would add to them by suggesting that you keep a milage log to help you determine when to change the oil.

I say this because, the mileage per trackday or race weekend varies for each individual. The advice I have been given by several qualified/experienced engine builders is to change my oil no more than every 300 miles (this is track use only mileage).

To give you a practical example using the typical AMA weekend. Those guys typically run a weekend on the same oil. Their weekend consists of several practice sessions, qualifying and two races of 20+ laps each. Well, that equates to a typical weekend of 300 miles or more. If it's good enough for them, I know it's good enough for a Joe like me.

A typical two day trackday or race weekend for most of us is not 300 miles, however this will vary depending on the individual.

As I say this, I also think of it this way. An oil change will cost you $30-40 bucks, but an engine rebuild or replacement will cost you thousands. So, if keeping a mileage log is too tedious for you. Then just change the oil every 2 to 3 trackdays to help you stay on the safe side of the cost equation!
Mileage means absolutely nothing if you are racing.. There are 3 ways to change oil in a Race bike... Guess.. By experience... Same thing if you ask me... And the 3rd way is to be sure and use oil analysis. With OA, you not only are checking the oil but, checking the condition of the engine as well.

I can supply OA Kits at a very reasonable price which include Critical TBN numbers.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Team STG Racing
337 Posts
My race weekends are busy. This past weekend at Barber, on Saturday I did 3 practice sessions and 2 Solo races (16 laps each). Then Sunday i did 3 more practice sessions and 5 Sprint races. That is a lot of miles at very high RPM's. While im sure the oil is still in relatively good shape, oil is cheap compared to the thousands i have in the bikes.

With that being said, i will be in touch Bob. :)

·
Searching for "Smooth"
184 Posts
Mileage means absolutely nothing if you are racing.. There are 3 ways to change oil in a Race bike... Guess.. By experience... Same thing if you ask me... And the 3rd way is to be sure and use oil analysis. With OA, you not only are checking the oil but, checking the condition of the engine as well.

I can supply OA Kits at a very reasonable price which include Critical TBN numbers.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob
Bob -

I don't disagree one bit on oil analysis being the best way determine when to change the oil and to assess the health an engine. However, that's just not realistic for the average trackday rider, street rider, racer...

I know several AMA teams that don't routinely use oil analysis. When I say routinely, I mean every time they change the oil. Now, that's not said to imply AMA teams do everything right. However, they do have more mechanics, time and resources then the average Joe on here.

The oil analysis service you offer is very helpful and something I will look into. I'm the anal/detail oriented person. However, I have the belief that the average trackday and club racer will not conduct oil analysis. So, with that said most of us will guess or use experience to determine when an oil change is required.

Again, thanks for making us aware of your oil analysis service!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
We do analysis for many AMA Teams but on the same note, they all don't do it all the time.

What I am recommending is using Analysis to build a baseline change interval.. $26 a few times could pay off in a relatively short time with saving on oil and filters or a puked engine by guessing at change intervals.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
that is right. well, almost. i was mistaken on the total capacity but it's as Bob stated, about 2/3rds get changed out.

No. That's if u change the oil only and not the filter.
If u do both you will be fine.
no.. that is not totally correct. :) I was mistaken about the actual amount of a 3rd gen motor capacity. It's 3.5qts+- and at a change without filter you change 2.4qts, with a filter 2.6qts, so about 1qt of oil is still in the engine when you drain it from the drain plug.

Sorry about that. Anyway, it will take more than one change to change it ALL out 100% to whatever your switching to. I would not worry about mixing oils, any quality oil will protect your engine. Synth or non-synth.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
All R-6 engines take 2.75 qts on a change with a filter. 2.6 May be litres.. I don't know. I Only work in US measurements.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
mailbox killin' werewolf
3,856 Posts
All R-6 engines take 2.75 qts on a change with a filter. 2.6 May be litres.. I don't know. I Only work in US measurements.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob
It definitely takes more than 2.75. My zx6 takes 3.6 with a filter change.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
It definitely takes more than 2.75. My zx6 takes 3.6 with a filter change.
negatory .. it takes 2.4 without filter, 2.6 with. DRY an r6 only takes 3.5qts. It ain't a zx6..

1 - 20 of 39 Posts