Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this season I am going to take my bike out to the track for the first time. I am taking the next couple months to prep my street bike for legal use on the track. My question is what all needs to be done for it to be "ready"? and even allowed to touch the track. I understand i will swap the fairings for some hotbodies etc. most of my wiring is done or the holes are drilled, ready for wire. but question is what else, help!

·
Premium Member
35,477 Posts
I think it determines on your track day organization. For us down in Texas, we just need to tape up our lights and make sure everything is running mechanically fine.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it determines on your track day organization. For us down in Texas, we just need to tape up our lights and make sure everything is running mechanically fine.
I am in northern california and my bike was basically racing cert down here but since i brought it to the street i have no idea what i need to do...

·
Needs more stars
2,937 Posts
Tape lights, remove fuses, remove license plate, remove mirrors and you are pretty much good to go. You don't have to do much to go out for a trackday. :cheers

·
Needs more stars
2,937 Posts
I saw in that link one of the things is to unplug and tape up the Speedometer?! Why?
To eliminate the distraction.

I never do...but I am not one that needs to know how fast I am going. I have glanced down now and then but I think some care too much to ignore it when they should be focused on what is ahead of them.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
To eliminate the distraction.

I never do...but I am not one that needs to know how fast I am going. I have glanced down now and then but I think some care too much to ignore it when they should be focused on what is ahead of them.
Ah, I was just thinking for a noob like myself knowing corner entry speed would be nice.

The organization I intend on riding with doesn't require that at least:
http://www.sportbiketracktime.com/track-day-regulations.html

·
Needs more stars
2,937 Posts
Ah, I was just thinking for a noob like myself knowing corner entry speed would be nice.

The organization I intend on riding with doesn't require that at least:
http://www.sportbiketracktime.com/track-day-regulations.html
There are WAY more important things to be thinking about when entering a corner than your speed. If you think you will be tempted I would tape it.

If you really feel like you want to know your speed hook up a camera that will record it. DO NOT LOOK AT YOUR SPEEDO WHILE ENTERING TURNS!!! :thumbdown

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
I tape mine just for the hell of it. Id rather be able to guess my speed than have to look down.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
There are WAY more important things to be thinking about when entering a corner than your speed. If you think you will be tempted I would tape it.

If you really feel like you want to know your speed hook up a camera that will record it. DO NOT LOOK AT YOUR SPEEDO WHILE ENTERING TURNS!!! :thumbdown
Okay thanks for the advice :)

·
Needs more stars
2,937 Posts
Okay thanks for the advice :)
:cheers Be sure to ask questions at your trackday too. The people running the event as well as their control/lead riders should be more than happy to help you out with anything you need.

Even after 10 trackdays I had an instructor help me out for two of the sessions I rode yesterday. :cheers

·
Registered
150 Posts
depends on the track organization you're going with. some require more changes than others. as long as your bike is mechanically sound and you have a suit that is a 1pc or 2pc that zips together, then buy a roll of blue painters tape and you'll be fine. you dont need plastics or anything special for track days, usually. basically just ask the track day organizers and they'll tell you exactly what you need.

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts

Taping your speedo teaches you a VERY important skill. It's called speed awareness.

I'm addition to this, riding the track without using brakes in a high gear is another great exercise to try.

This forces you to learn your speed by feel and sound, etc.

This has proven to be a huge help for me now. When there's a bunch of people around u and moving you out of your lines an stuff, there are no reference points and things like that for these situations.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Taping your speedo teaches you a VERY important skill. It's called speed awareness.

I'm addition to this, riding the track without using brakes in a high gear is another great exercise to try.
You mean just carry a gear higher and use engine braking? Plz explain. :cheers:

·
Needs more stars
2,937 Posts

This forces you to learn your speed by feel and sound, etc.

This has proven to be a huge help for me now. When there's a bunch of people around u and moving you out of your lines an stuff, there are no reference points and things like that for these situations.
:stupic I did that with an instructor once...super weird feeling but learned a lot about being smooth.

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
You mean just carry a gear higher and use engine braking? Plz explain. :cheers:
Run the whole track in 4th gear. Use no brakes ever. This will teach u to be aware of your speed. It'll force u up behind someone, into a turn without having heavy engine braking, etc. great exercise!!

Learned this at Cali superbike school. Great lesson!!

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Run the whole track in 4th gear. Use no brakes ever. This will teach u to be aware of your speed. It'll force u up behind someone, into a turn without having heavy engine braking, etc. great exercise!!

Learned this at Cali superbike school. Great lesson!!
:nocontrol i cant wait to go there and learn this stuff. i think next track day ill tape my speedo, i did catch myself glancing a few times and it doesnt spook me or anything but i found it wasnt a reference point that helped. in turn i felt better when not looking for speed rather feeling it out so to say.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Made the mistake of looking at my speed-o once at Willow Big track. Gotta say it really bothered me and I now tape up the speed-o for every track day.

·
Registered
112 Posts
OP where are you in norcal?
Me and my buddies go to trackdays every month. If u wanna come with us let me know.
Meanwhile, take it easy out there and take your time learning the track. My best advice is to ask help from the instructors, learn the proper lines, go faster as you become more comfortable, and practice proper braking techniques.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 20 of 22 Posts