Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After an epic three day track weekend over the July 4th weekend, I'm just not interested in putting my bike back to street trim. Riding the street doesn't seem interesting to me. So I'm thinking of going track only. Any thoughts on that? This is my only bike (for now). I'd sell my street plastics to get track plastics.

I'm wondering if I'll miss riding between track days.

·
Premium Member
35,478 Posts
I found out that switching to track only, I turned into a pansy on the streets. You get majority, if not all, of your jollies on the track now. Sometimes I miss street but for the majority, I enjoy being track only.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I used the money I got from selling street plastics to buy a cheap cafe Honda CB for cheap to cruise around town.

·
Needs more stars
2,937 Posts
I bought my DRZ400 because I was turning my R6 into a track bike and still wanted something for the street. I ride like a granny around town on the thing. :laugh

I guess it will depend on how often you are able to do track days. :cheers

·
Registered
196 Posts
Buy a cheap street bike, keep the R6 for the track.

A lot of people seem to go that route, I personally don't think I can ever give up street riding, but if I did have a track less than an hour away I would probably go all the time and diminish my street riding a bit.

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buy a cheap street bike, keep the R6 for the track.

A lot of people seem to go that route, I personally don't think I can ever give up street riding, but if I did have a track less than an hour away I would probably go all the time and diminish my street riding a bit.
I have a CBR. But I plan on buying a cheap street bike. It's just not in the cards till MAYBE next year. So that would mean the rest of this year (and some of next, maybe), I'd be off the street.

Of course, we're hoping for at least 4 more track days this year (2 weekend events).

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
best choice i made was track only. the street just doesnt have the same rewarding feeling.
Until kids wave at you and stuff like that. Then it's a great feeling man. Plus, the roads up here are pretty gnarly so we do get to ride our asses off still. :YEA

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,251 Posts
If the track is where it is at for you right now, do it. But I wouldn't sell the stock plastics. You'll get pennies on the dollar for them and take a hit on the resale as well. Just my opinion. Actual mileage may vary.

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Until kids wave at you and stuff like that. Then it's a great feeling man. Plus, the roads up here are pretty gnarly so we do get to ride our asses off still. :YEA
Kids waving were kinda cool. But having to dodge death every other ride gets a little old. Not to mention, my friends are calling me a badass because of my track feats. That feels kinda nice. :)

If the track is where it is at for you right now, do it. But I wouldn't sell the stock plastics. You'll get pennies on the dollar for them and take a hit on the resale as well. Just my opinion. Actual mileage may vary.
Why not sell the stock plastics? Selling them would cover the cost of track plastics. I'm not sure if I'd want to sell this bike anyway...

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
Kids waving were kinda cool. But having to dodge death every other ride gets a little old. Not to mention, my friends are calling me a badass because of my track feats. That feels kinda nice. :)

Why not sell the stock plastics? Selling them would cover the cost of track plastics. I'm not sure if I'd want to sell this bike anyway...

You havea street title. The bike is worth a LOT more in street trim, legal with that title in the end. It's always best to sell it stock if you have a street title! DanQ is really right on this. I still have my 08 plastics. Someday I'll be like, yea, it's only got 3k on the clock! :laugh :laugh

·
Premium Member
30,470 Posts
After an epic three day track weekend over the July 4th weekend, I'm just not interested in putting my bike back to street trim. Riding the street doesn't seem interesting to me. So I'm thinking of going track only. Any thoughts on that? This is my only bike (for now). I'd sell my street plastics to get track plastics.

I'm wondering if I'll miss riding between track days.
nah. maybe a few times a year, but think about cops, debris, idiots (in cages and on bikes), animals/wildlife, etc.

plus, you could save on registration and possibly insurance. ;) if you REALLY miss it, get a motard. they're more comfortable on the streets anyway. :fact

then maybe you could learn wheelies. although i never did. :rant

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You havea street title. The bike is worth a LOT more in street trim, legal with that title in the end. It's always best to sell it stock if you have a street title! DanQ is really right on this. I still have my 08 plastics. Someday I'll be like, yea, it's only got 3k on the clock! :laugh :laugh
But you're assuming I'm going to sell the bike... I don't know if I could sell this bike. Besides, some of my street plastics are a little rough...

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
But you're assuming I'm going to sell the bike... I don't know if I could sell this bike. Besides, some of my street plastics are a little rough...
You never know!!

What happens is you post the set for sale for like a lot of money. And all you get is requests for this part or that part, etc... Shipping is INSANE on a set of bodywork. You would have to sell locally to make it worth while. So if you get $400 or so in the end (which would be lucky)... You may get like 4k for the bike with a race body and no headlights etc. Now if it's street worthy, turn key, gas and go, lower mileage... You could see 5k no problem in the summer.

Food for thought. That's all!

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You never know!!

What happens is you post the set for sale for like a lot of money. And all you get is requests for this part or that part, etc... Shipping is INSANE on a set of bodywork. You would have to sell locally to make it worth while. So if you get $400 or so in the end (which would be lucky)... You may get like 4k for the bike with a race body and no headlights etc. Now if it's street worthy, turn key, gas and go, lower mileage... You could see 5k no problem in the summer.

Food for thought. That's all!
You got me there. Shipping CAN be insane.

Damn you guys for making sense.

Maybe I'll do what another friend did: held onto the plastics for a while, then after a few years, sold them. After the bike was down a few times, will for sure be keeping it, etc.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Chief is right, its a pain to part out all the fairings. I'm selling all mine now and going track only, but I know I'll never sell this bike so i'm not worried about resale value
Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
RESPECT
29,164 Posts
Didn't think I'd sell the 09 so I went "track only" with it for a while. I sold all the street trim and used that money to cover track plastics/paint. Did ONE track weekend with the 09 and decided to sell it instead. Can't very well sell an 09 in track trim for what I needed...so there goes the part out. But...if you feel you won't ever get rid of the CBR...selling the stock trim to offset track plastics is logical...as long as you can get the buyer to pay partial shipping. Pack it right and depending on the destination it'll cost ~100

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I would love to track the bike next year, but I dont think I could give up the street. I would have to have something to ride on the street as well. Feels awesome walking out of work and hopping on the bike to go home, makes the dreaded ride into work better too.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts