Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting my new-to-me track bike prepped for my first day of the season on March 5th. Had the wheels off to get new rubber mounted. When I roll the bike backwards the damn fender sounds like it's going to explode, but I think it was doing the same thing before I had the wheels off.

The fender doesn't sit anything resembling straight when mounted, but appears to have plenty of clearance around the wheel. There's not any sort of bushings at the mounting points, and the rear mounting holes were zip-tied when I got it.

Anybody got any ideas on how to get this bitch to shut her ****ing mouth when I'm rolling her around the paddock? The whole bike makes a lot of fiberglassy noises - dunno if that's standard fare for track plastics, or if the set the previous owner put on it is just garbage, but the noise from the fender is ridiculous.

·
Registered
998 Posts
If it's the 03 listed in your info, it sounds like you put a 120/70 tire on instead of a 120/60. There are ways to slightly raise the fender, but rocks will still make their way in between there.

You also might want to raise your fork approximately 7-8mm to compensate for the higher profile tire if it's not been done already.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah, the track bike is a 2005. Previous owner had a GPA on it and I put Superbike Pro slicks on. All tires were 120/70. It was making noise with the GPA too. Here's some pictures. I can post up some video tonight if that's more useful. It only really makes noise when rolling backwards.

Attachments

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
looks like the right side (looking at the pic) could be rubbing the disk
You sir, may be on to something. It looks like the mounting bolts for the disc may be rubbing.

edit: The terrible noise is also cyclical, I'll roll a few feet and it'll pop, roll another few feet, pop, so that makes quite a bit of sense.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is the tire hitting the front of the belly pan?
Nah, I don't think that's the issue. There's like an inch and a half of clearance between the tire and belly pan.

Gotta look for tire marks. Look on the underside of the fender, front corner of the belly pan.
No marks on the underside of the fender at all. There's a white spot where all the paint has rubbed off that lines up with the rotor mounting bolts though. On the opposite side, the fender has the corner cut off - I assume due to the same issue. Gonna give the right side the same treatment tonight.

Is it normal for track plastics to fit this shittily or do I just have a crappy brand? In the top-down pic you can see how crooked the fender is.

·
It's pronounced "Tollz"
7,764 Posts
Nah, I don't think that's the issue. There's like an inch and a half of clearance between the tire and belly pan.

No marks on the underside of the fender at all. There's a white spot where all the paint has rubbed off that lines up with the rotor mounting bolts though. On the opposite side, the fender has the corner cut off - I assume due to the same issue. Gonna give the right side the same treatment tonight.

Is it normal for track plastics to fit this shittily or do I just have a crappy brand? In the top-down pic you can see how crooked the fender is.
Just a poorly made front fender. When I bought my set off ebay the front fender was the only thing that didn't fit right. I couldn't even run without it rubbing it so I had to put the stock one back on.

·
Team STG Racing
337 Posts
+1....lots of people run into that problem with cheap aftermarket bodywork (unfortunately, i have been there and done that...and learned my lesson). Now i only use Amour Bodies or Sharkskinz.

But anyway, if you want to keep that fender, then you might have to get some longer bolts and then add some washers/spacers behind the fender to spread it apart and give it some more clearance (I have had to do that before).

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Word. I'll see if I can get the thing spaced out tonight. I also found an OEM fender on ebay, conveniently located next to my favorite track.

Another bodywork related question...

The bike has a superbike style tail. I went to take it off to hook up the trickle charger. Removed the mounting bolts and had to fight to get the front of the tail section off, near the seat pad. It appeared to be glued or epoxy-puttied or something to the platform that goes above the battery. That seems inconvenient, to say the least. I was thinking about putting some high-strength velcro on there instead. Are there any better solutions people use?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts