Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
my new habit
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright i dont know if this has been discussed but i figured it would have been stickied if it had...what is everyone's opinions of track/racing schools? if you have attended one which one and what was your opinions? i am thinking of attending superbike school at the las vegas motor speedway...they use kawasakis for their bikes and i'm thinking of the 2 day camp...alright let the dialogue commence

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,250 Posts
I am a Cornerspeed grad. I took Aaron Stevenson's school out of VIR. You should look around and see what schools are available. May not need to go all the way to Vegas.

Not that you can go wrong with Keith Code. I haven't taken his school, but I have met him and converse with he and his son on the R1-Forum. Excellent training, and it's very interesting to see much of what he discusses and teaches being instituted in other instructors school material.

If you are going to do track days, you must hit a road race school. Your time on the track will be worth so much more.

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,250 Posts
cornerspeed was another school i was intersted in. i def wanna hit the cornerspin school
Lvl I was a blast, and I talk to Aaron regularly about Cornerspin. I will probably race my R6 a couple of CCS events next year, and then take Cornerspin and Lvl II. Then hopefully race a full season.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cornerspeed is the one that I want to do. I agree with Dan on the track day comment. I lived fairly close to VIR and went almost every track day NESBA had for a year and could have benefited from a class early on.

Has anybody actually done cornerspeed and can offer any thoughts/experience?

·
Registered
321 Posts
thts sweet man. im in the process of building a track bike. i wanna do track days for a couple more years and take a school or 2 the give wera a shot

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,250 Posts
Cornerspeed is the one that I want to do. I agree with Dan on the track day comment. I lived fairly close to VIR and went almost every track day NESBA had for a year and could have benefited from a class early on.

Has anybody actually done cornerspeed and can offer any thoughts/experience?
What did you want to know about Cornerspeed? I said I was a graduate of Lvl I.

It's an awesome school. Your day will start at tech, and from their you will put your bike at the classroom (no pits). You will have about 30 minutes of classroom time, and then take to the track to practice the excercises and drills. After that you will debrief with the control riders. The sessions include a no brakes drill, a one on one session later in the day, and a mock race. The mock race is optional. They have to teach the start of a race in order to be accredited. You still graduate if you do not run the mock race, but if you chose to run it and crash, you will not get a diploma.

A very awesome school with an almost overwhelming amount of control rider presence. And I mean that in the most positive way. I overcooked the entry to a corner in the no brakes drill and had to brake hard as heck to save it. Because of that my control rider and other student (most sessions were 2/3:1 student:control rider) blew off without me. I didn't make it two turns on the track before another CR zipped in front of me and tapped his tail section to tell me to follow him.

Aaron has a top notch staff, and they race the tracks they teach at regularly, so it's an overall great experience. I would recommend them to anyone looking into road racing.

52,014 Posts
alright i dont know if this has been discussed but i figured it would have been stickied if it had...what is everyone's opinions of track/racing schools? if you have attended one which one and what was your opinions? i am thinking of attending superbike school at the las vegas motor speedway...they use kawasakis for their bikes and i'm thinking of the 2 day camp...alright let the dialogue commence
I took three levels of Superbike School with Code at Streets of Willow on their bikes. I haven't found the time to take Level 4 recently but will most likely do it in the near future on one of the Ducs. I'd love to do their 2-day camp, but it comes down to the time thing again. Money well spent...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dan you answered my question. I made it to Intermediate with Nesba but then had to stop riding due to lack of $$$$ Now i have my new 08 I can tell I am rusty again. Think I need to maybe take a track day and go back to the beginner group and then do a school. I was lucky to find a control rider that happened to work for the same company as I do and he helped me out. I am for more control riders. They can pull you around and teach you very quickly when you have one to follow. Its good Cornerspeed has that ratio. I will have to look it up for early next year. Thanks for the info.

52,014 Posts
i really wanna do the 2 day next year when they are at mid-ohio. so you would recommend it maxx?
Personally, I would... I naively went in thinking I wasn't going to learn much, especially with some racing experience under my belt. It was a humbling experience as they corrected a lot of my mistakes and helped fine tune other areas. I was mistaken in thinking I wouldn't get that much out of the program and am a much smoother rider for it.

52,014 Posts
I applaud any formal instruction and give props to anyone who takes this route towards improving their riding skills!

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,250 Posts
I applaud any formal instruction and give props to anyone who takes this route towards improving their riding skills!
Absolutely. Couldn't say it better through any choice of words.

·
my new habit
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
alright well i am glad this thread pretty much took off into a good conversation about the topic...now here is another question...how about getting into racing at a very serious level ie. doing anything and everything it takes to make it onto a regular circuit (not talking motogp) what would be the path one needs to take to get there...obviously a lot of natural skill, luck, and politics in his favor...weigh in...

52,014 Posts
Helps if you start very young, and have the proper support/coaching along the way. To be competitive at national pro/expert level, it will also take a fair amount of money. Being fast is one thing... being fast on uncompetitive machinery is another.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
alright well i am glad this thread pretty much took off into a good conversation about the topic...now here is another question...how about getting into racing at a very serious level ie. doing anything and everything it takes to make it onto a regular circuit (not talking motogp) what would be the path one needs to take to get there...obviously a lot of natural skill, luck, and politics in his favor...weigh in...
the faster guys around the midwest just running CCS alone with minimal sponsorships were telling me they can spend about 30-40K a year on the track. around here, that's only a 6 month season.

the fastest guys in the whole area are barely making it by with their privateer efforts in AMA. it's REALLY hard to make money in this sport.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts