Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys..and gals, i was wondering what everyone else was using as far as track tires go. I have nothing left on my dunlop Q2's and i was wondering if there was any better tires out there? Im not looking for slicks yet i am still I class for NESBA. But i have to buy new tires SOON so let me know what you think! thanks

·
B4B
6,864 Posts
man there are tons....

I'd go with pirelli s. corsas med. compound as an awesome tire

Another one I'd recommend are the dunlop ntec's (UK version) but they are a bit pricey. I think I'm running the pirelli's next year.

·
OMRRA #79
1,393 Posts
If your just doing track days and not riding on the street at all Perelli came out with a new "track day" compund tire. I bought a set of these so called "track day slicks" (which do not require tire warmers BTW) for $375 and I did 9 track days on them before I sold them to a buddy who still has them on his bike! These things last FOREVER and they are a pretty good tire until my lap times got down to like 1:15's at PIR then it was time for something a bit better thats why I sold them to a buddy. For anyone looking to do a bunch of trackdays these are the ticket!

Edit: Pirelli Diablo Superbike Slicks in a track day compound.

·
Premium Member
30,470 Posts
yup - the superbikes are money (from what i've heard/read). they'r using them almost exclusively on the racing 'tards down here.

·
OMRRA #79
1,393 Posts
yup - the superbikes are money (from what i've heard/read). they'r using them almost exclusively on the racing 'tards down here.

I can totaly see that. These tires are super light! That is actualy where I started to run into issues as I got faster and faster on them, the carcas is so light and thin that the sidewalls were starting to flex and that made for some interesting movement when combine with my rear shock not being 100% dialed in!

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,747 Posts
I ened up putting in 4mm to get where I likes what I gots!
Yeah I am going to start there and get a base line done, It helps me that my new suspension will be set for my weight now :laugh

·
16,747 Posts
PS Be very careful using your kick stand with this setup, I learned the hard way twice before I figured out it wasnt a ghost!:throwup
:laugh I always use a stand for mine so no worries, I dont street ride very much anymore

·
OMRRA #79
1,393 Posts
:laugh I always use a stand for mine so no worries, I dont street ride very much anymore

Well when you are marshaling and have to stop to help out a crashed rider its a major PITA if you dont have a kickstand so I cut the glass to be able to put mine on for track days.

Did you go to a straight rate spring in the rear instead of the dual that comes on the shock? Makes a huge diffrence in being able to actualy dial the rear end.

·
16,747 Posts
Well when you are marshaling and have to stop to help out a crashed rider its a major PITA if you dont have a kickstand so I cut the glass to be able to put mine on for track days.

Did you go to a straight rate spring in the rear instead of the dual that comes on the shock? Makes a huge diffrence in being able to actualy dial the rear end.
The Elka I bought is just a stright rate, but all the adjust that it offers (not as much as a TTX would) is WAY more than stock with a spring added to it....I cant wait to try it out!

·
Premium Member
30,470 Posts
pirelli superbike pros for the faster guys.

003rs's for the novice up to quick intermediate guys - i'm in this group. :|

1 - 20 of 32 Posts