Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a track day in 9 days and the bike has ~150 miles on it. How bad of an idea is this?? I'll probably only have time to rack another 100 or so miles on it till then.

Wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would say it's a bad idea. The oil that it leaves the factory with isn't the same oil that you typically put in like 10W-40. It's more of a lubricant to ensure everything gets a nice coat. And during your first service you need get rid of any metal that could damage your engine in your oil. That's the most important thing, IMO.

·
covfefe
52 Posts
Agreed, not a great idea since the engine hasn't quite finished wearing in. Maybe take it on a bit of a road trip this weekend, spend the day out riding, fill up the tank a couple times. But if you're going to track it anyway, best thing you can do is put fresh oil/filter.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
Just warm it up properly and ride it. On my 300, I did it's first track day with 5 miles on the odo, and it never saw the street again. If I end up getting a new R6 later this year I will do the same with that bike.

I would say it's a bad idea. The oil that it leaves the factory with isn't the same oil that you typically put in like 10W-40. It's more of a lubricant to ensure everything gets a nice coat. And during your first service you need get rid of any metal that could damage your engine in your oil. That's the most important thing, IMO.
Where the heck do you come up with this stuff? The factory oil is most certainly an oil that meets every spec listed as required for the engine. And metal shavings are not going to make their way back to the engine. That's the whole purpose of an oil filter! Do you really think all those bits of metal that may come off in the first few miles are harmless, but suddenly pose a danger once the bike finally hits the first service mileage interval?

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
change oil before hand. Its already "broken" in.

On my bikes Ive always make drag strip passes with the factory oil...lol

·
Registered
76 Posts
Where the heck do you come up with this stuff? The factory oil is most certainly an oil that meets every spec listed as required for the engine. And metal shavings are not going to make their way back to the engine. That's the whole purpose of an oil filter! Do you really think all those bits of metal that may come off in the first few miles are harmless, but suddenly pose a danger once the bike finally hits the first service mileage interval?
I didn't say it didn't meet every spec required for the engine. I'm just saying running in oil is designed as an alternate where other viscosities are recommended, specifically for engines in their break in period. Look, you can break in your engine however you want. I'm just telling him my opinion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I say go for it. Nothing compares to the track when it comes to the ability to vary the RPMs. One thing I would probably stay away from is hitting the rev limiter or sitting in the red-line zone for too long. Yes, I know on track we typically sit in the upper range of RPMs, but you don't have to. Follow Turbo's advice, change out the oil before hitting the track, although I would suggest after as well.

Like Black Dahlia Murder said...opinions vary.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I didn't say it didn't meet every spec required for the engine. I'm just saying running in oil is designed as an alternate where other viscosities are recommended, specifically for engines in their break in period. Look, you can break in your engine however you want. I'm just telling him my opinion.

Just warm it up properly and ride it. On my 300, I did it's first track day with 5 miles on the odo, and it never saw the street again. If I end up getting a new R6 later this year I will do the same with that bike.

No offense, but don't share advice on topics you don't understand fully. It makes you look silly in front of those that do. Oil is oil. That "break in oil" would be used at the factory and swapped out for factory oil before putting it in the bike. It's an early swap at 500 miles because it's when engines wear the most.

He's a street rider, just repeating what he saw on some youtube video. There are rich guys at the track that change out their Motul 300V EVERY WEEKEND :surprise:.

It takes engine analysis to really know, but I ride the FVK out of my bikes and have never had problems, change the oil just a little bit early.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
He's a street rider, just repeating what he saw on some youtube video. There are rich guys at the track that change out their Motul 300V EVERY WEEKEND :surprise:.
It takes engine analysis to really know, but I ride the FVK out of my bikes and have never had problems, change the oil just a little bit early.

Rich?? hahahahaha... the guys I know changing their oil barely have enough $$$ to enter races or buy tires. However their bikes are tools used to earn contingency $$$ that helps keep them racing at a competitive level. :grin:

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
It's more of a lubricant to ensure everything gets a nice coat. And during your first service you need get rid of any metal that could damage your engine in your oil.
More a lubricant? Nice coat of what? :confused:

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I did mine at 600 miles. wasn't super excited about it but f u c k...YOLO haha. the latest manuals only say to keep it out of X rpm for extended periods of time. to me that would mean riding it at 9k rpm on the expressway for 30 mins.
and unless you're in the advanced group, youll be doing street pace for most of the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I asked a friend of mine about engine break-in... a 4 time AMA tuner of the year. He says to run it normal for 30 min or so (varying the RPM range) and let cool for heat cycles about 3-4 times.. after that, run it like you stole it.
J

·
299 Posts
I asked a friend of mine about engine break-in... a 4 time AMA tuner of the year. He says to run it normal for 30 min or so (varying the RPM range) and let cool for heat cycles about 3-4 times.. after that, run it like you stole it.
Agree. Bought my R6 new, rode it for about 30 minutes at varying rpms, took it home and did an oil/filter change at 20 miles. Then took it to the track, got new tires, set the suspension and had some fun. Enjoy your trackday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts