Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting a new job in Cincinnati, OH in a couple of weeks, and I need to trailer my bike out there. I already have a class I U-Haul hitch on my VW Passat, and I found a trailer on craigslist that I think will work well, but I wanted to get some opinions from people. It is a 4x10 trailer with 13" wheels and leaf springs. It has a tilt bed and plywood floor. Has anyone had any experience with trailering their bike, namely with a trailer comperable to this? I know the trailer will be more than fine for taking the bike around town, I just am a little wary of taking it on a long (600+ mile trip) on the freeway. Any input is appreciated. Here are a couple of pictures:

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
That'll be just fine for the highway trip, just make sure you've got a handlebar strap to keep it strait some some ratchet straps for the front and back. When i tied mine down i just used my passenger pegs to strap it down. Front you'll just use the handlebar strap

·
Forum Moderator
3,117 Posts
Make sure the trailer has tie down points for the ratchets. A wheel chock for the front would be nice or you can just nail a couple of one foot 2x4's on each side of the front wheel to keep it from sliding out. Use a canyon dancer and ratchet it down firm. You can use cam buckle straps on the rear using the rear pass pegs. Check it every gas stop for tightness.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I have a set of 4 ratchet straps and I'm going to buy a wheel chalk tomorrow, will that be good enough?

·
Forum Moderator
3,117 Posts
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I have a set of 4 ratchet straps and I'm going to buy a wheel chalk tomorrow, will that be good enough?

Should be all you need. Just be careful loading and unloading. Get someone to help you.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
2x4's work awesome...nice catch man, i forgot to put that in my post as well. Wheel chalk should work fine. Definitely get someone to help unload that beast cause i hate seein those "i dropped my bike" threads lol

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just make sure the tires are in good shape before you head out, I can't tell you how many trailers I have seen with dry rotted or other wise crap tires on trailers,the last thing you want is a blow out with your baby riding shotgun.

·
my R6 ate a bus
1,010 Posts
what kind of loops do you guys make? Ive seen people loop the handle bars near the clip ons with a D style loop and then ratchet it down. Any pics of your guys setup would be awesome or point to a site that explains it well. Trailering "the future mrs" maybe this weekend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts