Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up everyone! Ok, i've spent the last hour searching through post after post for detent springs and such and am hoping thats it. The problem i'm having is that sometimes when im going to downshift (doesnt matter what gear) it wont shift down, it just goes right by the gear kind of in a "free float" kind of way. After a second or so of tryin to get her into gear she'll go but sometimes i'll have to engage the clutch then pull in again. If it is the detent spring, how would i go about changing that? I've read to pull the lowers off, then take the coolant tank off, take the shifter off, take the sprocket cover off, remove the shift shaft and then replace the spring...but that was for the 99-02 model. My problem usually happens majority of the time in gears 4-3-2-1. Sound like a detent spring to you? If not, what else are you thinkin? Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
Redline.......White Light
751 Posts
FIRST! Change thread title......completely bypassed this one because i thought there were going to be pictures of your "run in" this past weekend. I swear, i couldn't see the adams apple in the dark.

SECOND, i have never rebuilt an 03 transmission, but i have rebuilt my t56 and rx-7 trans, shift problems normally come from synchos being gone. Check into that and go from there.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where are the mechanics at haha! Feel free to chime in!

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sometimes i just get drunk and stumble into places i really shouldnt be...ZJ's all the way

Anyone have an opinion one way or the other for the detent spring? I sent a PM to the guy with the same problem as well so hopefully he visits every once in awhile!

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
FIRST! Change thread title......completely bypassed this one because i thought there were going to be pictures of your "run in" this past weekend. I swear, i couldn't see the adams apple in the dark.

SECOND, i have never rebuilt an 03 transmission, but i have rebuilt my t56 and rx-7 trans, shift problems normally come from synchos being gone. Check into that and go from there.
no synchros in a bike transmission. they don't even work anything like a cars transmission. unless you drive a formula one car.

\they are often called cassette style. but their real name is a sequential transmission.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which is why i never checked those lol...

I might go take it out for a quick ride to see how it acts...maybe it was just a fluke but i dunno

keep the opinions comin!

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just figured id give a little update to close it out...I ended up just takin her apart to check out the spring. As it turns out, the spring wasnt connected! One part was on but the part connected to the inside was just hangin...Got it put back on and all put back together and took her out for a ride and everything seemed to work perfect! Hopefully all is well now!

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
geez... i bet you're glad it was something free. and i'm sure the fact that you got to take the motor somewhat apart didn't hurt the decision making process of whether or not you should go ahead. :) beer, oil, and wrenches. you can't beat that.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well...It happened again! Guess it wasnt the spring at all...Everything is good to go for the linkage and it is still messing up. I'm going to empty out the oil that ive got in there (rotella-t) cause ever since i put that oil in i've been havin different problems. I'll switch back to the normal yamalube tomorrow and hope that works out!

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, now the problem is 100% fixed! I did end up puttin some amsoil in there. Theisons had it in stock so after just 500 miles with that rotellat in there i switched to amsoil and now i think she runs even better than when i got her new. Definitely worth the 10 bucks a quart...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts