Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any other 03-05 r6 shift better when the bike is still cold? My tranny just slips into gear with only a slight tap and there is no noise or chatter, especially from 1st to 2nd. As the bike warms up, the shift because more noticeably noisy and less smooth. Basically the tranny shifts perfect when cold, and gets worst when the bike warms up.

I have an 05 r6 w/ 5k miles.

·
UnZUnDUnR
1,004 Posts
When was your last oil change.A friend of mine has an 01 & his bike shifting is smoother with a new oil change.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
last oil change is in November by the previous owner. I don't know the type/weight of the oil, but there is full oil and it looks new so I didn't change it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
mine does the same thing (07s). my oil only has 550 miles on it. my 00 did the same thing. fwiw, my f4i and my friends superchicken made hellecious noises when you dropped um into first gear from at idle :fact

·
Registered
479 Posts
also dropped my shift lever a spline and put a 15 tooth front sprocket on it too. all that eliminated any first to second false nuetrals and smothed the shifting action as well :cheers

·
www.1seven1.com
2,063 Posts
last oil change is in November by the previous owner.
Dude, are you serious? Never trust the previous owner's service history unless they can produce a dealer record of the service. Oil changes are cheap, new motors are not.

-D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 2003 R6 and the first shift from 1st to 2nd is awesome but as soon as it starts to heat up that shift is very clunky. I use a blend of semi-synthetic, a touch of full synthetic and a bottle of Performance Engine Concentrate by BG (this helps with the problem of clunky shifting and at $6 a bottle it is well worth it in the performance of the tranny) I also change my oil/filter every 700-1200 miles depending what type of riding I have done in that time frame. It also seems to be between around 5,000 rpm and 10,000 it is most clunky, so I base my shifting on where I am in the RPM's and try to avoid shifting in that RPM range. Hope this helps buddy. By the way I ride a 2003 R6 that puts 105 hp to the wheel at 11,250 rpm at an elevation of 8,000+ feet with no motor work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts