Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few days of rain i let the bitch sit in the garage for a few days. The day i take it back out, it rode fine for a about 20mins then next thing you know i shifted in to 2nd and it stayed in neutral. i was like WTF :wtf ?!? :cuss :comp It didnt even grind when i tried to put it in. It just wouldn't go into second. So, after riding in 30mph in 1st because 5 0 was fuking following me, :asshole i tried to shift again. It took a few tried before i got it in 2nd but eventually it went in. I tried to ride it out hoping the problem would go away, but now i'm stuck with a big christmas bill and a broken bike. :comp What luck?! I've noticed that i have this problem in 3rd gear as well. sometime the bike wont go in gear, and sometimes it slips in to neutral. I think my dogs need to be replaced or the gears becaues when i shift, it doesnt clunk into gear anymore. "Where my Dogs at :?: " I did some searching around and figured it take at least $1000-$1500 to fix on the lower rate. if anyone else has experienced this problem i could use some feedback. if anyone is interested in reading more about r6 problems this is a good site ----------->R6 Problems

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Yeah, i was gonna tell you to go to that site. In the warranty and premature failure section, look for the post that is something like "pix of effed up 2nd gear" or something like that. The drive dogs are the 3 round shaped pieces that are on the side of the gears. They slide into other gears and the drive dogs are what holds it in gear and also has the power going through them. You'll see why they could easily grind away like the R6's have done so easily.

I think you'll be looking at around 500-600 worth of new parts. Sounds like all you're gears but first will have some damage. but you'll really get nailed with labor if you don't do it yourself.

·
Registered
133 Posts
yup mine has 4000 miles on an 03. Mine doesn't do it in second, more like 4th & 5th gear. Funny thing is If i use the clutch it happens, If i preload the gears and blip the throttle to shift it doesn't do it. It also happens above 8000 rpms. Of course I brought it in for the mechanics to look at it and they couldn't find anything wrong. I'm dogging it like hell right now in hopes of breaking it before bringing it in again. But she just begs for more. LOL I just changed my oil to some expensive synthetic and it seem to help some. I just don't use the clutch as much. If anything breaks I'm covered for three years.

If you read the R6 messagenet this is an ongoing problem with the R6. In fact a magazine review I think Sports Rider did back in March, put the R6 2nd Best 600 due to clunky dergrading tranny and a dip in the mid range power. It also place dead last in the times trial again due to the tranny and dip in mid range power.

Ratbike R6

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
RatbikeR6 said:
yup mine has 4000 miles on an 03. Mine doesn't do it in second, more like 4th & 5th gear. Funny thing is If i use the clutch it happens, If i preload the gears and blip the throttle to shift it doesn't do it. It also happens above 8000 rpms. Of course I brought it in for the mechanics to look at it and they couldn't find anything wrong. I'm dogging it like hell right now in hopes of breaking it before bringing it in again. But she just begs for more. LOL I just changed my oil to some expensive synthetic and it seem to help some. I just don't use the clutch as much. If anything breaks I'm covered for three years.

If you read the R6 messagenet this is an ongoing problem with the R6. In fact a magazine review I think Sports Rider did back in March, put the R6 2nd Best 600 due to clunky dergrading tranny and a dip in the mid range power. It also place dead last in the times trial again due to the tranny and dip in mid range power.

Ratbike R6
aloha, if i remember correctly you let me borrow that issue at work. and if i am not mistakin the R6 was low sided or dropped (what ever term seems to fit). so in my opinion it was not a real fair comparison between all the 600s tested in that issue. if you look closely at some of the pics of the R6 in that issue you could see some of the damage to the fairings and stuff.

as far as your bike goes i hope you find the solution to your problem soon. because i just got my bike a month after you got yours. i hope i dont run into that problem.

stoneloco808

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Oh yeah Jeeees, ALSO.........Don't forget to check your shift linkage etc..
And get in and check the shiftdrum spring, problem could be in there.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Don't get me wrong I love my R6, despite it's inherent problems. Just wanted everyone to know that there is some truth to the inherent hype about the R6's tranny. These bikes were meant to be dogged and yamaha advertises it that way, so they should back up their product. We see advertisement for all kinds of Sportbike and everyone one of them emplies the "NEED FOR SPEED". We all might as well buy a cruiser if were going to cruise around and drive like Daisy so that are bikes won't break.

I did however look at the magazine again and your right during the street test The R6 looked like it was low sided on the left, we all know how safe it is to ride on the streets. Yeah Right! But on the track during the time trial, they had a picture of the R6 doing a wheelie and there were no evidence of a low slide. Maybe a new bike? Who knows. Seven tenths of a second is all it took to get beat out by the others.

Ratbike R6

·
Registered
886 Posts
i think the only problem i had with my bike was like a month after i got it the battery leaked all over swing arm and chain [email protected]#ked it up too so i took it back to the dealer and made them replace the chain and swing arm took a while going back and fourth with them but the fixed the problem

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
RatbikeR6 said:
Don't get me wrong I love my R6, despite it's inherent problems. Just wanted everyone to know that there is some truth to the inherent hype about the R6's tranny. These bikes were meant to be dogged and yamaha advertises it that way, so they should back up their product. We see advertisement for all kinds of Sportbike and everyone one of them emplies the "NEED FOR SPEED". We all might as well buy a cruiser if were going to cruise around and drive like Daisy so that are bikes won't break.

I did however look at the magazine again and your right during the street test The R6 looked like it was low sided on the left, we all know how safe it is to ride on the streets. Yeah Right! But on the track during the time trial, they had a picture of the R6 doing a wheelie and there were no evidence of a low slide. Maybe a new bike? Who knows. Seven tenths of a second is all it took to get beat out by the others.

Ratbike R6
i bet that wheelie photo was before it was low sided. as far as doggin it, yes i do the same thing. cant help but push the limits. if not i should have just bought that chopper and just cruise around. yeah right where is the fun in that.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yeah, is this a real design/manufacturing problem with the R6? I asked my local Yamaha dealer about it and he seemed oblivous to the problem, said he hadn't heard anything about it except to say that if one gear goes its usually 2nd gear because:

a. that's the largest gear-ratio switch
b. 1st-2nd gets shifted the most
c. people tend to wind it up most in 1st and 2nd.

Does this make any sense, or is my mechanic full of :shit ?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
vtlion, yes this is a engineering flaw. They finally realized it and changed the '03 to 5 drive dogs instead of 3, so far it sounds like noone has had any problems with the '03s, '04's.

Your dealer is lying.......anyone who knows anything about yamaha knows that 99-02 R6's are notorious for second gear failure.

And yes, you're a,b,c's are all part of the reason. Yamaha also has the shittiest transmissions in my opinion....Notice riding other bikes how smooth they all shift, and yamaha's clunky and jerky when shifting.

I'd still take my yamaha over anything else though :mrgreen:

P.S. I've been looking to buy a R6 with a banged up tranny, if anyone knows of any, let me know.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry guys haven't posted in a while, but what all you guys are saying is true. Good information!

So i took the shift shaft apart, the part where the shifter goes into the bike and i found a broken spring, the "spring tension." This spring holds the bike in gear so it doesnt pop out of gear into neutral while the motors running. apparently this happened to my friend's R1, and a local shop that races R6's said to check that first. So once i get a new spring in, i'll be up and running again. Yay! :jump

Hopefully thats the only problem and everything else is cool. BTW the spring cost a whoping $0.89 to buy a new one. I was expecting to pay a whole lot more, no wonder why it broke.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Oh yeah Jeeees, ALSO.........Don't forget to check your shift linkage etc..
And get in and check the shiftdrum spring, problem could be in there.

Ahhhh, just had to quote myself there. Sweet ass Jeeees!!!! I was thinking the worst, but you got lucky with a simple fix...so far anywho!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
OH, just to add to that. Isn't it weird what a 0.89 spring can make! I finally thought after my first post and mentioned the spring and external shift drum area to make sure, you just don't think about stuff like that after all of yamaha's R6 probs. most guys i've seen with the 2nd gear problem keep riding and keep riding with the same thing till the summer would be over.....only to find MOST gears are chewed up.....common thought.

Now put your new spring in and ride since it's warm bastard!! :moon

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Redline: Yep, you were right on the dot about the spring. I just got the spring from the dealer today, i'll find out how it works tonight and probably post tomorrow. good lookin out though. I'm hoping this is the only problem though.

$0.89 r6 parts determines if your riding home or walking your ass home. I wonder how much it cost them to make it? no wonder it broke. :asshole 's

:321 yamaha

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am glad I bought a 04. Is it due to shifting with out the clutch? I rarely do clutchless shifts, I don't know why but I really don't worry about it.

:cheers

·
Registered
283 Posts
I clutchless up a lot. Only when pulling hard and I preload the lever to make it fast. Never down and not at low speed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Re:

Heres a question, Im in the same position as the rest of these guys, The bike wont shift into second gear anymore, just goes into neutral. Im praying tomorrow I get a call saying that its that broken spring but if its not and its the dogs, is there any aftermarket parts / assembly that will correct this ongoing problem? I dont see the sense of fixing it, to find out 1 year later another 1500 has to be dumped into it. So any stronger parts, dogs etc. Im a newbie, and I bought this bike 1 week ago, rode it 3 times and this happened, what fing luck.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Re: problem

Heres a question, Im in the same position as the rest of these guys, The bike wont shift into second gear anymore, just goes into neutral. Im praying tomorrow I get a call saying that its that broken spring but if its not and its the dogs, is there any aftermarket parts / assembly that will correct this ongoing problem? I dont see the sense of fixing it, to find out 1 year later another 1500 has to be dumped into it. So any stronger parts, dogs etc. Im a newbie, and I bought this bike 1 week ago, rode it 3 times and this happened, what fing luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts