Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got an 06 R6 with only 5k on the clock and yesterday I was riding and came up to T on a back road in 3rd gear and just rolled through it at around 3k rpms and then got on her once I made my turn.

I then started hearing a clanking sound like something in my transmission broke. So I pulled over and looked and couldnt see anything. So I got back on her and was just fine through 1st and 2nd but when I hit 3rd it makes a horrible clanking sound but 4th-6th are also perfectly fine. It is also only in the low rpms as well. Once you get it up around 8-9k it goes away.

Any ideas guys before I just take it in to the shop and get rapped? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
wow this sounds pretty bad man... kinda unbelieveable that you could have broken something but if it only does it in third sounds like something got chipped in there. SHifting in and out of third is still the same though? just noise?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea shifting into 3rd gear is fine, smooth as could be. I can even downshift into 3rd gear from 4th and it be perfectly smooth, just when the rpms drop below 6 or so, it starts growling something awful.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Well then that makes me think your transmission is fine. If its attributed to rpm... maybe your chain is loose or needs replacing? If a vid is possible that would help a lot.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea but it only in 3rd gear so I'm leaning towards something is weird in the tranny. Ill try to get a video and post it later tonight. Is it on to lift the back wheel on a stand and put it into gear?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Well ive heard that running your bike in gear on a stand is not too great for your bike as you put no resistance on the engine... also very very dangerous.
I think your better off duct taping a camera to your helmet or backseat or something.

·
vroom on a yamaha
550 Posts
i dunno much about trannies on bikes, but if it where a car I'dtell you to check your synchros. now stators and magnetos that's my forte lol

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could not get a video of it tonight because it started raining and it suppose to all weekend so I try to get a video one day next week. I'm guessing it's in the tranny and my shop is gonna make some money off me this winter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts