Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend's father just bought a bike out here in California, and my friend wants to pick it up on a trailer or truck of some kind. It's an old standard/cruiser bike like a Harley, only smaller.

How exactly would you go about transporting that thing on a trailer or truck? What would you need? Can you rent a trailer somewhere in So. Cal? What about a bar harness? How many would you need?

And do you have to transport the bike with the suspension fully compressed?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
if they gotta truck then the dealer should have some tiedowns you could purchase and just use them to secure the bike.....look in product reviews i think there was a big thread on the Canyon Dancer Bar tiedowns or something of that sorts.....i don't know we have a bike trailer that we use to tie our shits down in.....

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you transport the thing in a regular U-Haul? The U-hauls have bars on each end that look like you could get some sort of straps through and hold the bike down.

Do you have to keep the bike upright the entire time? Can you keep it that way with the bar harnesses/tie downs or do you need a stand of some kind?

And what about compressing the shocks. Do you have to compress them all the way to keep the bike from bouncing during the ride?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Get a pickup and some ratchet straps. And then back the pickup to a small hill/ditch and drive the bike on. Strap it down and you should be good to go... more or less.

How heavy is the bike? Like 400 pounds?

Also a Uhaul van with no seats would work even better.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ive never had to. And I've put my r6 into a pickup twice that way.

Just drove it on and straped it down with two or four wratchet straps. and then drove 3 to 4 hours with it across florida.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ive done it many times before and the most important thing is to make the front forks bottom out. I had a friend sit on the tank while ratcheting it down. If there not compressed all the way over a bump the whole bike can move on you! hope that helps.

·
Registered
476 Posts
raydogg920 said:
Ive done it many times before and the most important thing is to make the front forks bottom out. I had a friend sit on the tank while ratcheting it down. If there not compressed all the way over a bump the whole bike can move on you! hope that helps.
Yeah, just ratchet that puppy down as much as you can... which I guess is compressing the shocks.

So umm yeah, compress the shocks :cheers

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
You don't have to compress the forks all the way. you WILL blow a fork seal if you do.
Just compress them about 1/2 way or about 4 inches.
The best way to tie a bike down is either rachet straps, or tie-downs. If you can, strap the front wheel to the front of the trailer. If not, the 2 tie downs on the handle bars will be fine.
Drive slow, and avoid sharp turns. You'll be fine.

After you tie it down, get on the bike and move it around. It shouldn't move. You'll know if it's tight enough.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
TexasR6 said:
You don't have to compress the forks all the way. you WILL blow a fork seal if you do.
Just compress them about 1/2 way or about 4 inches.
The best way to tie a bike down is either rachet straps, or tie-downs. If you can, strap the front wheel to the front of the trailer. If not, the 2 tie downs on the handle bars will be fine.
Drive slow, and avoid sharp turns. You'll be fine.

After you tie it down, get on the bike and move it around. It shouldn't move. You'll know if it's tight enough.
Tex said it 100%... I've done this, and will be doing it this way this weekend. You'll be fine as long as you don't flip/roll the truck you'll be fine.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
Ed said:
flip/roll the truck?

You mean I can't hit the turns going 90 in the uhaul?
You can do what ever you want; I never said it was a good idea!

One thing to think about with the Uhal trucks (not a pickup); they do not have very good tie down points in their boxes. I would inspect them before I would rent it.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
i carry my bike in my truck all the time. tex has it right though. u dont need to compree the shocks all the way, just half way. i always put 2 tie downs on the back somewhere to keep it from movin side to side :cheers

·
Registered
31 Posts
if you go with using a truck, canyon dancers are the way to go. They make it real easy to tie down the bike, holds the bike real secure and leaves no scratches.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts