Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 2014 Yamaha R6. Recently when I go to downshift, whether its at a full stop and I'm going down to 1st or I'm moving and I'm dropping down gears, it won't always downshift. When this happens, I don't feel feedback in the shifter. I have to hit the shifter multiple times. Even letting go of the clutch for a few seconds and trying to engage it again, I still don't feel any feedback from the shifter and have to repeatably hit the shifter down with my foot sometimes 6 or 7 times to drop a gear. It shifts up perfect every time though. This only happens when down shifting. I only have 3000km on the oil so I'm not really leaning towards that. The bike has 12,000kms on it. I may try adjusting the clutch cable but it grabs fine going up in gears so I don't see how the cable could be only causing issues going down.

·
PeanutEOD on YouTube
199 Posts
Have you ever taken the pivot arm off of the shifter shaft for any reason? You may have just back on in the wrong position by a tooth or two. It’s easy to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, never taken those parts off. Well I have for an oil change but that was months ago and this issue has only been happening the last couple weeks

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Clutch-in, shift up, then back down again, clutch-out. There's a troubleshooting section in the manual that describes that issue and the potential causes. I don't recall what it said at the moment. Might've been bent shift fork and/or linkage out of adjustment. But I do remember getting the impression that forcing the shifter would be a likely cause for this problem; and explains why anyone who does complain, says it's a downshift problem; never an upshift. (impossible to stomp on a shifter and go up a gear)

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Make sure you're taking enough pressure of of the transmission before downshifting; and avoid forcing it. If you're racing and don't mind the extra maintenance, then no worries.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So after my reply Peanut_EOD, I started thinking okay I may not have touched it in awhile but what if the pivot arm bolt came lose, similar to what he was saying. Well when I looked at it, the bolt did in fact come lose. It did seem like the pivot point is still where it needs to be so I'll give ya an update if tighten that bolt makes a different.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts