Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I recently got an 08 R6 and am trying to do new tires. Should be pretty simple, but unfortunately its not. I am stuck trying to get the front tire off. One of the pinch bolts (correct name?) that holds the axle on is SO tight that I've essentially destroyed it trying to get it off. So far this is what I have done; soaked it with liquid wrench stuff, pounded a bigger size torques head (correct name?), tried an easy out, tried getting the outside of it with channel locks. I have had zero success with any of these methods. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on to how to get this thing off now with out messing up my forks. Trying a better easy out/ extractor? I am really at a loss at this point.

As of right now the head of the bolt is still on, but not in great shape given the channel locks. I am not concerned with the bolt obviously I just want to get the thing off with out messing up my forks so I can get my new Q3's on!

Any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Grind/file a flat in the side/top of the remaining bolt material, use a punch and a hammer and punch it counterclockwise.

·
Just lean harder...
888 Posts
Put the other pinch bolt in to relieve some of the pressure on the bolt you are working on.... Normally, You really should slowly loosen them going back and forth between the two..

Its almost like if both bolts are torqued to 35 foot pounds, creating 70 foot pounds of pressure. If you remove one that will only take 35-40 foot pounds of torque to remove. Now the other will take 70 foot pounds of torque to remove . Because all of the pressure has been put on that one bolt

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Ya I tried that to and continue to try it actually. I honestly dont understand why its so damn tight.

·
pin it to win it
8,082 Posts
Because somebody didn't torque it right or they used loc tight.

Use a dremel to cut a slot in the top. Use a flat head bit and a impact driver. Also heat helps

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
also, put the other bolt back in while trying to get this one off.. it will relieve some of the pressure on the one you are trying to get out.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
A lot of the fasteners on this bike seem to be pretty soft. Doesn't take much torque to strip them at all. Before applying any significant amount of force, it helps to make sure that the allen head is, and remains *FULLY* seated. A little anti-seize on the tip helps. As already mentioned, follow torque specifications. But account for the fact that using extensions or anything between the tool and the bit, potentially robs torque.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
If the head is completely mangled and you can't get anything else to grip it, then drill the head off. Do this by getting a drill bit that is slightly larger than the bolt diameter, and SLOWLY drill into the screw head. Eventually the head will spin around your bit and you'll know the head is separated from the shaft. It might not spin, but usually it does. Just take baby steps and you'll either be able to see when you've seperated the head from the shaft, or what's left of the head will spin.

Once the bolt head is off, it is no longer pinching the axle and you can pull off your wheel. After that, yank off that fork and put it on a bench. Drill a small hole (about half the diameter of the bolt) in the center of the bolt , from the back of the fork

Then get a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the bolt diameter (smaller in diameter than the bottom the threads). The bit should catch and will cause it to back out the way it goes in. It has to go back out the way it went in since the non-threaded portion of the bolt up by the head is larger in diameter than the threaded part.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. At this point I might just take it to the shop at let them deal with it. I'm so frustrated, I bought stands so I could save some money and do it myself. Guess that's out the window.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Lots of solid suggestions already mentioned, though a day late and a dollar short for you. Using quality allen sockets and making sure they are fully seated will ensure you will never round off any allen bolt on your bike. Post up a pic of the bolt. You can't get vice grips on it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The wrench was properly seated. This isn't my first rodeo wrenching. I swear someone put this on with either loc tight or an impact. Ya I've tried vise grips they just rotate around the head chewing it up.

Attachments

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Ignore my suggestions above. Don't go anywhere near your bike with a drill. Take it to a shop before you do any more damage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts