Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what technique do i use to help me better my tight turning, especially when going from a dead stop. everytime i try my hands hit the tank and the handlebars dont go as far as i want them too. do you have to lean the bike to steer a u turn?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I don't really know if this is "textbook" or not, but if I'm turning left, I'll lean right (a little less than a lot), and then push the bike (lean it) towards the left while turning the bars left also.

-Solace...

P.S. This helps me at least... I had the same problem a long time ago also.

·
Registered
524 Posts
cheetahboom said:
what technique do i use to help me better my tight turning, especially when going from a dead stop. everytime i try my hands hit the tank and the handlebars dont go as far as i want them too. do you have to lean the bike to steer a u turn?
Also, it sounds like you're going too slow while turning. I don't know where you're located (in the US or not), but here where I live they have a course at the department of motor vehicles that is used for motorcycle license tests. I used to go there after they closed and practice on their course when I first started riding. It helped my low-speed maneuvering tremendously. If you don't have such a course available to you, just go to an empty parking lot and practice making small circles. Try to make them smaller and smaller as you get better.

Keep in mind that low-speed maneuvering is difficult with most sportbikes. The R6 is probable a little more difficult than most.

Hope this helps. :cheers

·
looking for more curves
1,881 Posts
I'm with Code; you just need some more pratice. I did alot of pratice when I first got my bike. It helped me tons when I took my road test and during the MSF course.

Have fun with the circles, counter balance is the key. I praticed mine at full lock and at idle; it will take a little bit until you get to that point, but once you do start praticing figure eights.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
counterweight helps a lot. Especially with U-turns. It would help if you go to a parking lot and practice. It would help you out tremdously

·
Registered
951 Posts
when turning slow you counter the lean of the bike. when i mean slow i mean 0-20 give or take. so if you turn right, move so you butt is on the left side of the seat, sit up straight and lean the bike to the right while turning. i had the very same problem when i first started riding. look around there turn where you want to be going and you will end up there most likely.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm doing my lessons for the test over in the UK at the moment and they teach this:

keep your revs up high (high as in 3k, not like 15k :lol:) and slip the clutch, dont let it out all the way.
keep your back brake dragging very lightly all the way round the turn to help control the speed and keep it very slow.
look up at where you want to go, not down.

we were doing U turns at snails pace all wekeend and i found them easy following those instructions. over here to pass your test you have to do a pretty tight, slow, controlled u-turn without putting a foot down or wobbling.

·
FL45HM3
953 Posts
drhodes said:
Have fun with the circles, counter balance is the key. I praticed mine at full lock and at idle; it will take a little bit until you get to that point, but once you do start praticing figure eights.
Every once and awhile, I'll find myself doing this as well. If I'm waiting to meet up with some people for a ride and they aren't there yet, I'll just cruise around at idle and do some figure 8's as tight as I can get them.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
For slow speed parking lot it's all about head and eye placement. Do not look down at the ground. Keep your head and eyes up and look of into the distance in the direction you wish to go. You must lean the bike over. I know it feels like you are going to fall. As long as you keep power to that rear tire, you won't fall. A little practice and you'll get the feel for it :cheers

·
Registered
407 Posts
cheetahboom said:
put all your weight on your pegs, it will be ten times easier to steer through slow turns!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.