Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
it's time for me to buy a new truck(used actually but has to be under 35k miles). wanted to get some owners opinions on what kind of problems you know of to watch out for.
so far I've only looked at a few chevy, gmc and ford trucks. I'm not a fan of the looks of dodge rams or toyota tundras. I'm not interested in those 2 brands at all.
just silverado's, sierra's and F150's in a 2014 and up. not going older than a 14 because my credit union wont do it. and I qualify for 2.99% interest.

so far I've found a lot of youtube videos about the 2014+ F150 has a known vibration that can't be remedied. and the V6 ecoboost engine is starting to have issues with carbon buildup on the intake valves and ford is telling people the only approved repair is to replace the heads. F-That motor.
so to anyone with that engine beware after 50k miles you will start noticing idling issues when cold because of the carbon buildup on the intake valves. you can't clean them like other engines due to them being direct injected (fuel doesn't touch the valves) and the cleaners burn up the turbo's.
and I'm definitely not buying a damn non turbo V6 in a full sized truck. they have the same tow capacity as a damn s10.
I love the looks of the F150 but now I'm starting to shy away from them after seeing video after video of the vibration issues. and the drivers door seal at the top rattles at speed really bad.

please share your experiences thanks guys.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Hmm, that's new. I've never heard of that for the F-150's. I've got a few buddies that have them and no issues. I like the F-150's, but I'm sure you'll be happy with any of them. Wish I could give you more in sight. I haz a diesel.

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
I'm not a fan of the looks of dodge rams or toyota tundras. I'm not interested in those 2 brands at all.
Really, they all just look like trucks to me. :confused:

I have a '16 Ecodiesel Ram 1500. Does an excellent job towing my trailer to the track.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
OP is a dummay. I wont even mention how many turboed F150s are in my company's fleet with _______issues. (fill in blank)
Well because they are work trucks used as tools not penis extensions.

BTW... only suckers buy used truck with low miles. You think you are saving money but I laughs with my Ford A plan discount.
Makes a $65,000 stickered truck cost only ________otd
Also youd have to be a moron to pay $65,000 for a 1/4 ton truck...lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
OP is a dummay. I wont even mention how many turboed F150s are in my company's fleet with _______issues. (fill in blank)

BTW... only suckers buy used truck with low miles. You think you are saving money but I laughs with my Ford A plan discount.

If youre paying A plan for your trucks youre paying too much for your vehicles. :surprise:

Some of my best accounts were in New York and Montana and they love the 3.5 EcoBoost. I traded for one that had 323K miles on it and had zero issues. In my opinion the Ecoboost is far superior compared to the 5.0 V8. But what do I know :confused::grin:

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

I'm not looking to spend that kind of money. only 20-26k. I will never buy a new car/truck. just not worth it when it loses so much value when it leaves the lot. much more than a used car. I'm not interested in paying $600+ on a damn payment. so keep buying your brand new $60K+ and paying $900 a month. you're fing retarded.
btw, pretty much all the mags that rate cars (car and driver etc) recommend the gm 4.3 v6 over the ford v6 (non turbo) they actually recommend it over gm's own 5.3v8 and fords 5.0 v8 because it has the same towing capacity but with better MPG

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
If youre paying A plan for your trucks youre paying too much for your vehicles. :surprise:
Some of my best accounts were in New York and Montana and they love the 3.5 EcoBoost. I traded for one that had 323K miles on it and had zero issues. In my opinion the Ecoboost is far superior compared to the 5.0 V8. But what do I know :confused::grin:
A plan is one of the strongest discount plans you can get. We get a fleet discount as well. My boss just got a $65k stickered truck for low 40s otd.
The fuel mileage on the turbo trucks isnt what they sold it as. About on par with the 5.4s which is about 18-20. Maybe if you stay in the right lane doing 50mph on the interstate with no load and no ac.
Towing knocks it down to 14ish.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I'm not looking to spend that kind of money. only 20-26k. I will never buy a new car/truck. just not worth it when it loses so much value when it leaves the lot. much more than a used car. I'm not interested in paying $600+ on a damn payment. so keep buying your brand new $60K+ and paying $900 a month. you're fing retarded.
btw, pretty much all the mags that rate cars (car and driver etc) recommend the gm 4.3 v6 over the ford v6 (non turbo) they actually recommend it over gm's own 5.3v8 and fords 5.0 v8 because it has the same towing capacity but with better MPG
Hey dummy... we dont finance, we pay cash. $60k+ finance? Thats a house payment for busters.
You can get a brand new low option extended cab F150 for about $32k without a discount plan. Even
the Z plan knocks it down ALOT.
OEMs load up different packages because 1/4 ton trucks are the new luxury barges. Go build one on Fords site.

And who checks mpg in a truck? Our 3.6s go 440 miles on a tank. Boo hoo if you cant afford $55 to fill the tank. :banned: Also with a flash tune and minor exhaust changes... you can pickup a good 50 ft lbs of torque. If you want to turn the boost up... you can get ~500hp to the tires. Good enough for 11s in the 1/4 for a full sized truck.

All due respect you are representitive of the new consumer. Buys based on payment and not the sum total.
You should stretch your payments out to 96 months to make it "affordable"...lol. Maybe upgrade to a 3/4 ton so you can safely haul all that negative equity around...lol.

·
Registered
54 Posts
A plan is one of the strongest discount plans you can get. We get a fleet discount as well. My boss just got a $65k stickered truck for low 40s otd.
The fuel mileage on the turbo trucks isnt what they sold it as. About on par with the 5.4s which is about 18-20. Maybe if you stay in the right lane doing 50mph on the interstate with no load and no ac.
Towing knocks it down to 14ish.
So he paid A plan and got $25,000 of discount? Do you know what A plan is compared to Invoice minus holdback and FP? That doesn't make sense.

Who cares about fuel mileage in a truck? If I wanted good MPGs I would buy a prius.

The fuel mileage rating come from extremely controlled environments at 70 degrees, a consistent 40 MPH and some really good fuel. :wink:

But again, what do I know? Or have I sold tens of thousands of these things? :grin:

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
So he paid A plan and got $25,000 of discount? Do you know what A plan is compared to Invoice minus holdback and FP? That doesn't make sense
Who cares about fuel mileage in a truck? If I wanted good MPGs I would buy a prius.
The fuel mileage rating come from extremely controlled environments at 70 degrees, a consistent 40 MPH and some really good fuel. :wink:
But again, what do I know? Or have I sold tens of thousands of these things? :grin:
Ill look at the sales invoice later on today. Its absurd that a 1/4 ton truck can even fetch more than $50,000. :wink:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ill look at the sales invoice later on today. Its absurd that a 1/4 ton truck can even fetch more than $50,000. :wink:
You aint kidding. Next year im sure that number will increase by 5% or even more. :surprise:

But, people still gonna pay it :grin:

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hey dummy... we dont finance, we pay cash. $60k+ finance? Thats a house payment for busters.
You can get a brand new low option extended cab F150 for about $32k without a discount plan. Even
the Z plan knocks it down ALOT.
OEMs load up different packages because 1/4 ton trucks are the new luxury barges. Go build one on Fords site.

And who checks mpg in a truck? Our 3.6s go 440 miles on a tank. Boo hoo if you cant afford $55 to fill the tank. :banned: Also with a flash tune and minor exhaust changes... you can pickup a good 50 ft lbs of torque. If you want to turn the boost up... you can get ~500hp to the tires. Good enough for 11s in the 1/4 for a full sized truck.

All due respect you are representitive of the new consumer. Buys based on payment and not the sum total.
You should stretch your payments out to 96 months to make it "affordable"...lol. Maybe upgrade to a 3/4 ton so you can safely haul all that negative equity around...lol.
aahh r6forum troll strikes again. but since it seems so important to you yes I want a nice luxury-ish truck. I will drive it daily. I don't buy cars. I hate them. I want a 4X4 because we get bad winters. I don't want a "work truck" with a rubber floor, vinyl seats, am/fm only radio, manual locks and windows no ac.
sorry, that's not an ideal vehicle I want to purchase.
if the only thing you have to contribute to this thread is tell me you're idea of what I should buy is then find something else to do with your time.
because I don't give a flying rats ass what your opinions are. I'll buy what I want. I never asked for anyone's opinion on prices either. and no I don't give a shit about paying my credit union 1500 for letting me finance some money for a truck. this is how banks make money. it's what drives our economy. if you love saving for 7 years to buy your next vehicle to save $1500 because you can't afford the extra $1500 or you somehow think you're winning against the system then knock yourself out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well what is the full intent of this vehicle purchase, to have a bed and a 4x4 for utility? then I would probably go with the gmc, but thats a personal preference...I believe they all have their faults, I'm very interested in the capabilities of the Fords turbo'd 6's..if youre not hauling this would be enticing...horsepower and fuel economy are a winning combo

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well what is the full intent of this vehicle purchase, to have a bed and a 4x4 for utility? then I would probably go with the gmc, but thats a personal preference...I believe they all have their faults, I'm very interested in the capabilities of the Fords turbo'd 6's..if youre not hauling this would be enticing...horsepower and fuel economy are a winning combo
my intended purpose is to use the truck as my daily driver and towing my trailer with bikes to the track, camping etc. i will be towing a 7X14 enclosed trailer. I don't want an engine that is already stressed out just moving the truck. a v6 even with their claimed 300hp doesn't feel strong enough to me. but they say they do just fine. however I'll never really know until I hook up a trailer and jump on the expressway. and they ain't letting that happen on a test drive. so I'm thinking v8 only. the mags say it has the same hp but the torque is much higher in the v8. that's what really counts for towing. a small stressed out engine will bite the dust much sooner than a bigger engine that doesn't work so hard. this is where I was hoping someone on here could chime in on if they have a V6 in a full sized truck and how it does with towing.

the turboed 6 in the ford has more power than everything else and has the most towing cap. but problems with the motor are starting to show up. intake valves are gumming up and turbos are going out. also the F150 has a really bad take off shudder when towing. If I go with a F150 it's going to be the V8. also the aluminum beds I've seen are already showing signs of corrosion coming through the paint. you can see a lot of this on the back of expeditions where the paint is bubbling up all over the rear hatch.
thanks to youtube I've learned more about these trucks than from any forum so far.

I've noticed up to about 2014 GMC and Chevy both use drum brakes in the rear. so that pretty much put the nail in their coffin for me on those years. i'm not buying a full size truck with weak ass brakes. and I can really tell a difference on a test drive between the F150 and the chevy brakes. the ford is like having brembo and the chevy feels like a bike with 1 front brake rotor. it required a much higher level of brake pedal force to bring it to a stop.

been checking out the dodge ram even though I'm not a fan of the body style. mainly because it's been a rehash of the same style for 23 years. it has a really nice interior. their eco diesel has caught my attention. however it has really low hp at 240hp but has 420 ft/lb of torque. so slow but strong. but it also gets 29mpg. up to 754 miles to a tank. but all of the 4-5 year old rams I see running around with rotted out wheel wells on the bed and rocker panels below the doors is a big turn off for me. and that damn electronic shifter is a no go for me. I don't trust that kind of shit. just another issue to fix when it starts acting up. and there has been numerous ntsb complaints filed about them not going into park and rolling away.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
yeah I think I'm skipping on buying a ford.

if you have facebook watch this, https://www.facebook.com/100004550149080/videos/725277997633865/

if you don't it's a video of a mechanic talking about how in an F-350 6.7 powerjoke I mean powerstroke, broke a fan belt. resulting in broken studs off the timing cover, to pull timing cover the oil pan needs to come out, to pull oil pan the transmission needs to come out. to pull trans the transfer case, rear and front driveshafts has to come out.:nono Fords are a pile of crap and are having a lot of problems now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
yeah I think I'm skipping on buying a ford.

if you have facebook watch this, https://www.facebook.com/100004550149080/videos/725277997633865/

if you don't it's a video of a mechanic talking about how in an F-350 6.7 powerjoke I mean powerstroke, broke a fan belt. resulting in broken studs off the timing cover, to pull timing cover the oil pan needs to come out, to pull oil pan the transmission needs to come out. to pull trans the transfer case, rear and front driveshafts has to come out.:nono Fords are a pile of crap and are having a lot of problems now.

Here is my problem. We as humans, expect everything built now days to be perfect. I really hate to be the bearer of bad new but, it aint ever gonna be. Yeah people say well if I pay "X" amount for something it should last blah blah blah. My uncle built a 3.6 million dollar home which burned completely to the ground within the first year of moving in after completion due to wiring fault. he also owns a 1998 Ford f150 with 300k miles that runs like a champ.

Everyone relax. These are machines. Every truck now days are equally as good (or bad) as the next. There will a bad batch of every brand out there.

Buy what makes you happy. That's all that matters anyway.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts