Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried this weekend to get my kneedown at very low speed, but I just couldn't do it. The best times I've been about 1 inch from the ground with my slider. Mostly I think it's due bad body positioning. Should lean more over with my upper body I guess (kiss the mirrors)...Suggestions, tips? Let me know...

Next time I will try it with a cone to focus on....

Here's the link to the movie. My friend who was filming it was pretty pumped up for me as you can hear. It's in dutch :)

See a little movie here

Attachments

·
Get Some..!
288 Posts
Knee down in car park is less cool than knee down at track...just sayin. Less time practicing knee down and more time getting smoother/faster on the controls IMO. It will come with more speed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Knee down in car park is less cool than knee down at track...just sayin.
Totally agree with you! But I just want to get used to the feeling on low speed instead of experiencing it the first time on high speed.

My buddy also tried it the first time there, and did it just out of the blue. Or is it because of the naked bike vs R6? That you need more speed on the R6 to knee down?

Here is a movie of him doing it on a Bandit 600

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Just lean more. I used to do this in a parking lot. I remember going about 25 and just going in a constant circle. Just keep leaning till it touches or you feel uncomfortable. It is easier to get it done at speed on a track

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
The purpose of good body position is to make you use less lean angle for a given turn at a given speed. So if you're goal is to get your knee down the fastest, shitty body position is what you want.

Good body position is going to take away lean angle, so you're going to have to go even faster to require enough lean angle to get a knee on the deck.

Really though - you shouldn't be worried about touching a knee down. You should worry about riding your bike well. If you're doing things right, you'll eventually get a knee down, and it'll feel like a great accomplishment - but it feels even better to ride around the outside of guys who are dragging a knee, when you're not, because they're body position is awful and yours isn't. :)

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
um why?
What makes me laugh is when I show someone this bike

explaining its the easiest way to practice riding without having to go to the track they balk. Seriously...guys on liter bikes that could use a lesson in corner speed absolutely laugh at the prospect of learning something on "mini bike".

Heres how its done...

·
Dangerously Irish
9,551 Posts
The purpose of good body position is to make you use less lean angle for a given turn at a given speed. So if you're goal is to get your knee down the fastest, shitty body position is what you want.

Good body position is going to take away lean angle, so you're going to have to go even faster to require enough lean angle to get a knee on the deck.

Really though - you shouldn't be worried about touching a knee down. You should worry about riding your bike well. If you're doing things right, you'll eventually get a knee down, and it'll feel like a great accomplishment - but it feels even better to ride around the outside of guys who are dragging a knee, when you're not, because they're body position is awful and yours isn't. :)
^This
When you are focused on riding then the knee go's down.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
um why?
What makes me laugh is when I show someone this bike

explaining its the easiest way to practice riding without having to go to the track they balk. Seriously...guys on liter bikes that could use a lesson in corner speed absolutely laugh at the prospect of learning something on "mini bike".

Heres how its done...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZc9zxQSdbQ
That looks like an awesome kart track. I did a supermoto track day recently and it was a ton of fun. I'd WAY rather learn about the limits of traction on a little bike on a kart track than get introduced to sliding the rear at 100mph on a big bike at a big track. The mistakes are going to hurt a lot less.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Mgkt is awesome.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
That looks like an awesome kart track. I did a supermoto track day recently and it was a ton of fun. I'd WAY rather learn about the limits of traction on a little bike on a kart track than get introduced to sliding the rear at 100mph on a big bike at a big track. The mistakes are going to hurt a lot less.
All told you are looking at about a grand or so to get the bike as you see it.
You can buy an xr or crf 100 for about $400-$700. Been basically the same bike since 1995.

Used xr80 16"front wheel is about $100 ($230 new from honda for a complete wheel)
Tires & tubes are less than $235 BT45s
Jetting = $15
Box of crash spares (levers, bars, pegs) $50
Catch can setup $20

Above prices assume a good mechanical condition bike. These models tend to get abused by paper boy aged kids so keep that in mind when shopping

Now you have a parking lot racer that you can show up just about anywhere to practice body position, trail braking and other advanced riding techniques. If you crash... 99.9% of the time you get right back up and try it again. :lmao

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
All told you are looking at about a grand or so to get the bike as you see it.
You can buy an xr or crf 100 for about $400-$700. Been basically the same bike since 1995.

Used xr80 16"front wheel is about $100 ($230 new from honda for a complete wheel)
Tires & tubes are less than $235 BT45s
Jetting = $15
Box of crash spares (levers, bars, pegs) $50
Catch can setup $20

Above prices assume a good mechanical condition bike. These models tend to get abused by paper boy aged kids so keep that in mind when shopping

Now you have a parking lot racer that you can show up just about anywhere to practice body position, trail braking and other advanced riding techniques. If you crash... 99.9% of the time you get right back up and try it again. :lmao

Are 85s popular in supermoto, like a yz85? Faster, simpler, and better suspension compared to the crf's I always see

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pfff, nobody ever gained cool points by learning shit the correct way.

:poke
Hehehe, I thought exactly the same! :) But I must admit, a lot of good advice here! Thanks guys! I am going to try with a cone in the following days. But damn that minibike looks a hella lot of fun man :too cool:But sadly a few years ago, a stupid man got killed on an indoor kart track, here in Belgium. So now, it's completely banned here on kart tracks. Also I've googled for an YZ85, but the cheapest is around 1500$ here :(

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Are 85s popular in supermoto, like a yz85? Faster, simpler, and better suspension compared to the crf's I always see
the point of the xr/crf is to develop ride skill... not obsess over the drum brakes or pot metal foot pegs or spindly forks.
Being as a set of wheels for the YZ will set you back more than the complete xr/crf would, that's a call you'll want to make. If you wanted the mini version of a liter bike... then a crf150R is the tool of choice.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
I raced mx for a while I've owned both 85 and crf 100s. I just assume the 85cc class would be a bit bigger, idk just was a thought.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
I raced mx for a while I've owned both 85 and crf 100s. I just assume the 85cc class would be a bit bigger, idk just was a thought.
It would be legal for 17" & under (if you laced up some 17s on it) and super moto (open run what you brung). Just abit harder to ride than a diesel. :D

CRFs and TTRs can be ridden competitively at most mini tracks. What the crfs lack in braking the TTRs have but the TTRs are gutless and heavy.

My buddy has a RM85 and he keeps thinking its a good supermoto bike and just doesnt understand why it wouldnt be. Until you are on the side of the tire and open the throttle and that angry powerband spins up the tire bad enough to catapult ya from the seat into a highside! :D

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
That's the interesting part, throttle control lol. 2 stroke power band ftw

1 - 18 of 18 Posts