Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So I'm on highway 680 going to college, and I see a Z06 coming from the offramp onto the freeway. Z06's are a dime a dozen here in San Jose, but for some reason, whenever I'm on my bike, I hardly see any "real" competition for my bike. So here I'm thinking "finally, something really fast to race". I slow down a bit, leave it in 3rd, and wait. Sure enough, the vette owner flies past me at about 70mph. I begin my pursuit. For some odd reason, he's not gaining, but I'm not catching up either. By the time we let off at about 145mph, none of us got any real advantage. So, I catch up to him, give him the thumbs up, he does the same, and we go our seperate ways. Fast forward an hour when I'm in class. I was wondering, then it hit me: the whole time I was racing the vette, I wasn't tucking. I'm no expert, but if I'm not tucking, that means the wind is just hitting my body, and theoretically, slowing me down, right? Could this be the reason why I didn't reel him in? By the way, the vette couldn't have been upgraded, it had dealer plates on it.

2 side notes:
1.) When I was going about 145 racing the vette, my handlebar began to shake VIGOROUSLY. That sorta scared the shit outta me. Why did this happen?

2.) On my way home, as I hit capitol expressway, I toyed with an '03 Cobra. All I saw was an exhaust. Sounded really mean. Heard the blower too. Nonetheless, I had him for lunch. A little compensation for not catching up with that vette.

Sorry for the long post guys. Just want some feedback.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It definately could have affected your speed, especially higher up in the MPH's. Like you said, if you don't tuck, all the wind is nailing your body and slowing you down big time. I think you would have reeled him in but towards 145+ it would have been deadlocked, especially if it was modded. Another thing, you probably should have been in 2nd gear as well.

Side notes
1). No clue
2). 03 Cobras can be pretty nasty :flame

·
Registered
129 Posts
As far as tucking goes....

I've been flying at around 120-140 and for some stupid reason had sat up when I started to brake. WOW! The first time I did that, I thought the wind was gonna throw me off. Also, my speed dropped DRAMATICALLY. :stupic

So your handlebars were shaking... This is due to the fact that you had no weight on your front wheel. All that air comin underneath your bike wants to lift it up off of the ground. This is not good. Sometimes when I dont have enough weight forward when I'm winding out first, I get some bad headshake/tank slap.

Remember to be careful out there. :cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts