Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious, does anyone know if they make turbo kits for the 04 r6? i want more power and love the feel of my 6 and i just bought it before i went to boot camp july 2 so i dont want to lose my ass on it to buy a 1000 yet, so if anyone knows of a turbo kit that would be awesome.
Thanks, Rez

·
Vendor
7,791 Posts
rez0469 said:
where do you get a nitro kit? and is that hard on hte engine if you use it?
We've been developing turbo kits for the 04 R1's... and the price range on the units will be pretty high so I'd recomend some nitrous also, there is just nothing readily available on the R6's and doing a custom setup would involve alot of shop time and $.. Fuel injected bikes you can use a dry nitrous system and I'd recommend using a 30 shot nozzle to start off with and not go higher then 40 shot...

Here's the link to the setup....

http://www.tobefast.com/detail.aspx?ID=176

Pictures of my r1 with the kit...

http://www.tobefast.com/fast_shane04.htm

http://www.tobefast.com/shane04_2.htm

Here's one of our R6's with nitrous... :)

http://www.tobefast.com/faststreetbikes.htm

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Shane, are you guys mapping any different with the dry set-up? I've been thinking about putting in a little 20 shot and sticking 2 10oz bottles somewhere on the bike.

The only thing i've been thinking about is added fuel delivery when shooting. I know a 20 shot is rather small, but when running on the lean edge already, as well as with +4 ign, extra fuel definitly won't hurt. But i wouldnt wanna have a extra rich map for the 99% of the time i'm not on the button.

Also, how many shots do you think i'd get out of 2 10oz bottles? Obviously thinking sleeper here :cheers

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how much is the turbo kit going to go for? my dad is a real good mechaninc. is it real bad to use the nitro on the motor? would i have to rebuild it more often?

·
Registered
380 Posts
speaking of turbos, i was at the track a few weeks ago and these guys with busas had turbos. 489 HP on the dyno :twisted: :stupic

·
Vendor
7,791 Posts
TO have a custom kid designed for your bike it would be materials (on a new kits 6-7 thousands) and then the time it takes to make it at shop $ hourly rate. The reason you see turbo kits in the 6 thousand range new is become they've been bulk purchased with keeping pricing down for the consumer, if you want one off stuff you end up paying for it. If your still interested we can have it done though no problem...

redline : On fuel injected bikes there is an air temp. sensor in the airbox that senses changes in air temp (dropping considerably when the nitrous is applied). this relays the info to the computer and tells the injectors to spray more fuel (but only up to a point, 20-30 shot and you should be fine for sure), every bike is different so putting it on a dyno with an exhaust fuel ratio sensor and checking it is always ideal.. Nitrous bottles are sensitive to heat, cold and positioning..... alot of thing determine how many shots you get. Heat of the bottle ( hot = more pressure, cool = less hence less pressure and shot)... also the way you mount the bottle = nitrous gasses weight more then air and tend to rush to the back of the bottle... most 10 oz bottles have no tubes in them so putting thing at the write angle makes all the difference in things... The mps kits we sell come with 1 lb or 2 lb bottles.. we can sell you add on 10 oz... if you need though... I'd say you will be at least 3 good hits if the bottles are warm in that scenario...

Hope that helps and doesn't confuse you more .. lmaO

·
Registered
181 Posts
Seems like you could do a junkyard turbo set up for a hell of a lot cheaper than 6-7k. I know people do cheap twin turbo set-ups for cars for like less than $500 if you know you're stuff...

·
Vendor
7,791 Posts
cuda6pak said:
Seems like you could do a junkyard turbo set up for a hell of a lot cheaper than 6-7k. I know people do cheap twin turbo set-ups for cars for like less than $500 if you know you're stuff...
well at our race shop we've built some of the fastest turbo charged cars in the country, if you drop a turbo into anything it's got to be tuned and if it's a car most likely it's a F.A.S.T. engine management system. That kit alone will run you over 3 times the $500 you mentioned and the knowledge and welding skill to do custom piping in materials is pretty pricey too.. You've got to basically desing a one off custom exhaust system that routes 4 header tubes inline to the turbo.... then from there a power commander will handle low boost situations but not hight boost.. but realistically a shops gotta make money.. low end hourly rates are around $50 per hour higher rates about $150.. more power to you if you got the skills to do it.. Post up some shots of the junkyard work... small shop design produces some incredible setups ... :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
the 500 dollar turbo thing is a bit unrealistic. i turbocharged my mazda miata and spent about 3500. this is an 8 psi setup with stock computer,injectors ect. i post a lot on a turbo miata fourm and many people have chalanged the 500 dollar turbo setup idea and never succeded. basicaly what it comes down to is you would have to cut a lot of corners and skimp on VERY important items like fuel and timing controls wich are essential to a reliable turbo system. doing a diy turbo system in my opinion can not safley (for the motor) or properly be done for 500. there are so many small parts like silicone hoses, hose clamps, oil lines, fittings, piping ect. ect. ect. but whenever someone says its impossiable, someone makes it work

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Yeah, nitrous is by far a better choice than a turbo, especially for everyday riding. And if nitrous isn't abused it can be very reliable. If you aren't getting too crazy with nitrous the only thing you might run into time is a re-ringing. Nitrous can and will burn down the engine if you aren't careful, especialy if you lose fuel pressure. But go play with a turbo on something and see how many pistons you try :hammer

Shane, The air sensor is what i was wondering about, i just didn't know how much it would compensate for. And another thing i thought about was placement of the nozzle compared to the air sensor. ('03 R6 is on the left side) Does the MPS kit come with a single nozzle I'm assuming and how does placement in the airbox affect the temp across the whole airbox and or just where the air sensor is. If that makes sense at all.

One last one i think.......what's the dimensions of the 1lb bottle. I'm trying to think of a spot that i could mount it (hidden) with warmth and be able to get the correct angle. I was thinking that i could fit 2 10oz bottles somewhere behind the mids that way i have heat, and could get my angle, and not too much of a pain in the ass to get access too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
interesting, that's pretty expensive for a turbo kit, because 6-7k in the turbo world is almost a top of the line turbo kit for a MKIV supra, wait that is the range of a top of the line HKS kit. the turbo kit shouldn't cost you any more than 4k. all the turbo kit consists of are turbo, manifold, wastegate, intake, and your lines and fittings (in some cases a crappy BOV and an intercooler). the electronics, fuel, and addons ie. gauges you're on your own. to turbo your R6 correctly, yes it would cost you quite a bit. nitrous in every auto/cycle case is the biggest bang for the buck.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
But at the correct angle is the question Loki. Which is around 15degrees and valve facing front. I could face it forward and just ride on one to get the angle :hammer

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SpidermanSS said:
TO have a custom kid designed for your bike it would be materials (on a new kits 6-7 thousands) and then the time it takes to make it at shop $ hourly rate. The reason you see turbo kits in the 6 thousand range new is become they've been bulk purchased with keeping pricing down for the consumer, if you want one off stuff you end up paying for it. If your still interested we can have it done though no problem...
How many psi does your turbo kit push out and how reliable is the engine with one of those?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SpidermanSS said:
How many psi does your turbo kit push out and how reliable is the engine with one of those?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.