Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about putting a turbo (along with some other goodies...:D) on my 07' R6S. I wanna go more drag then track. Any input would be appreciated. Ride Safe!! :YEA

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not gonna buy a busa just to drag. Anyways Suzuki's (no matter what they are..be it GSX-Rs or busa's) are like civics now....everyone has one. If i were to put a turbo on my R6S it would be faster then a busa.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Im not gonna buy a busa just to drag. Anyways Suzuki's (no matter what they are..be it GSX-Rs or busa's) are like civics now....everyone has one. If i were to put a turbo on my R6S it would be faster then a busa.
The question isnt what size turbo, it's how to fit the turbo in place and out of site.

·
gsxr what?
59 Posts
Man turboing something takes alot of work and money if you want it to run right and hold up. Its not impossible so if you got the funds, time and know how then it can be done. It would be sick though if someone was riding a turboed R6.

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
Ok get ready to buy new pistons.
Power commander.
Engine seal kit.
Piston rings.
Turbo kit.
Exhaust.
I can keep going. You have to replace the pistons to use a turbo. The compression in your current engine is too high, and it will blow up! Who will you beat on a turbo R6? Another 600, or 750? Even a bone stock literbike will smoke you. I'm not trying to be an ass, but warning you. This is the reason no one has done it. It is a waste of time, and money. I don't even think there are pistons made for your bike to put in a turbo. You whole exhaust will have to be fabricated. Does it sound cool? YES... Is it worth it? NO

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
No it wouldnt.

·
xHEAVENS WEAPONx
1,225 Posts
you are seriously going to put a turbo on an r6s

·
Got boost?
19 Posts
Don't listen to the Negator's out there. It's been done, it's being done and the only thing I've seen blow up is a clutch. The R6 comes with forged pistons and carburized rods. As long as you are not planning over 7lbs you should be fine. I would suggest water/meth injection or some type of intercooling for safety although most aren't doing either. I'm even doing this myself (with h20/meth of course). Like I said if you want to do it, do it. My project is costing me under $8K including the price of my '05 R6 with under 4k miles on it. Bout the same price as a new R6, beat that. I'm shooting for 140+ RWHP. Here's some links that can be helpful. You are not alone....

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/yzf-r6/385767-turbo-r6-project.html

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118586

This one is a GSXR600, same shizzle though:

http://turbobikes.org/forum/index.php?topic=381.0

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the links. :D Now alls i have to do is save up the money...which might be awhile with this economy...lol. Anyways, thanx again and when it happens i'll make sure to post it on here! Ride Safe! :toocool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've read ur thread on r6messagenet.com...I called Yamaha today and they only told me how much compression is in the engine. They wouldn't tell me the max psi boost I can add to the engine w/o blowing it up. My friend has a boosted 05' GSXR 1000 and he said that suzuki told him that the max his could handle was 10 psi....so I figure ~8 max for the bike unless I bore the engine out and so on and so forth. My dad, which is the one helping with the build, wants to mount the turbo in the back where the lowering link is....wants to build some kind of saddle to eliminate the lowering link. Which is really better for the turbo....in the front with all the heat...or in the back in open air??? Thanks for everyone's input.....except those who suggested buying a bigger bike...IM KEEPING MY R6S BIATCHS'.....Ride Safe!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
oh im sorry, i meant to post that somewhere else :dunce:

but that is the bike they were talking about earlier. it's not mine, my bad...

·
Registered
38 Posts
About turbo'n a NA engine ...

My experience deals with turbo'n a 99 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS ... it was a ton of work but not too expensive. Even though there were plenty of parts from the WRX to use on the turbo job, it would have been better to just drop in a wrx motor than to go through what I did. That being said, to turbo the R6, there are a couple of things to look at that are different from cars:

The R6 motor has race quality parts where as most cars do not. The motor on the R6 has a wonderful redline for spooling those turbos.

I would look into a thicker head gasket to adjust the compression for the prospect of boosting. Check and see if a thicker head gasket will make a difference. Personally, I would replace the stock gasket because you are boosting but see what a thicker gasket will do to compression. Wont hurt to ask.

You could run an open wastegate on the turbo which should keep it at about 7-8psi. To regulate boost, you are adding parts and since my experience is with Subarus, a manual boost controller is a no-no on Subarus. This does not apply to other engines but I am biased. I would run the turbo's Wastegate open at first. Tune from that and then later on worry about regulating boost. I ran the RS with an open WG and tuning wasnt an issue.

Ive seen some turbo layouts, the best is to do what Mitsu does ... put the turbo in the front of the engine for max cooling. There is enough room by the headers to have a custom header made, the turbo put right in the lower front of the engine and the exhaust, blow off value, and WGG can all go on the right side of the lower front. You are going to have to tap into the engine oil pump so that you can keep the turbo lubed and also tap into the cooling system because you have to keep the turbo cooled.

An intercooler is used to cool the intake air coming from the turbo before the throttle body. I would recommend a small IC put in front of the turbo, under the radiator. I looked at my R6 and I dont see how the plumbing for an IC on the R6 is practical BUT since you going to have to put the air from the turbo into the throttle anyways, I think you can add an IC. Remember, the more plumbing you do, the greater the pressure drop from the turbo. If you have enough plumbing, the turbo can boost 7psi but the engine will only see 6psi. This may be a good safety to put in place. Honestly, the plumbing for the air in, air out side of the turbo is gonna be the bitch of it all. That is going to be where the creative juices are gonna have to flow.

Also, with turbo'n means more fuel. What duty cycles are the fuel pump and injectors running? Maybe you will have to switch to R1 injectors and an R1 fuel pump. These will flow more gas and might just drop in since they are all yamaha. If this was a subaru, they would drop in. Hopefully this is the case. If not, you can have those injectors ported for higher flow. I know a couple of reliable companies that do this and flowbench test their work to verify the exact flow.

Tuning ... can the powercommander accommodate the neccesary parameters for turbo'n? To be honest here, the turbo running an open WG will not need a boost controller so I would be curious to know if the PC operates as gear specific or if it just applies it's settings as an overall tune regardless of gear. Something to look into.

Thats just a tip of the iceberg. I hope Ive stirred your interest. You should def look into doing this. Custom work is the best! Its not about being economical, or practical, its about doing it just because its there to be done. Thats what is so wonderful about this hobby! Its there, so lets do it!

Turbo that R6, I think you are going to find this a rewarding experience IN THE END ... also invest in a punching bag before beginning work ;) Trust me on this one!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts