Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have been trying to break out of my fear of turning at highspeeds
(60-80mphs) I fell before when I was a real newbie at 25mph. I locked the back break and the back tire slipped from under me and I did a 360 off the bike. Ever since then, I fear that when I hit a turn at those speeds mentioned early Im scared that the tire is going to slip from under me. Can someone pass me some advice on how to lean this 07 R6..lol BTW..it was a girl that just started riding last year smoked me on the cornering, but she took a class. I started riding in 09 for about 4 months before my bike got stolen. Then I sat ut the whole 2010.

PLEASE ADVISE GUYS THANKS!

·
Super Mod
1,292 Posts
fear can get you hurt out there. if you happen to be going into a turn a little faster then you want to be, and you freak out, you will go off again. get your mind off of it but take it slow. no need to rush. and really, dont compare yourself to any other riders because it doesnt matter what they are capable of. go at your own speed.

·
Lets RIDEEEE!!!!
506 Posts
fear can get you hurt out there. if you happen to be going into a turn a little faster then you want to be, and you freak out, you will go off again. get your mind off of it but take it slow. no need to rush. and really, dont compare yourself to any other riders because it doesnt matter what they are capable of. go at your own speed.
+1 take the course get comfortable with your ride and then it will come naturally.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Ummm don't hit the brakes in a corner....and just gradually go in faster and faster. Like said, you can't ride with fear or you WILL go down again. Just knowing also that your bike will stick is a good thing too, you went down before because you hit the brakes. You won't be able to out ride the grip on your tires on the street. Going down is 98% of the time another factor like gravel and dirt.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Im trying to figure out how can you lock your back tire at 25mph?? Thats something strange. I highside at 100 mph and no lie i was scared out of this world no jacket just helmet and gloves thank the lord. Always wear your HELMET!!! You need to get over your fear hit turns where youre comfortable with when hitting a turn learn your body and bike. Im not any track head but im ok Im trying to get faster now and i need to get comfortable on my right lean I any1 can chime in on thAT??

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
Im trying to figure out how can you lock your back tire at 25mph?? Thats something strange.
You can lock your rear tire and any speed. Just stomp the brake.

I highside at 100 mph and no lie i was scared out of this world no jacket just helmet and gloves thank the lord.
You escaped a 100mph highside with no gear without injury?

i need to get comfortable on my right lean I any1 can chime in on thAT??
Turning right is uncomfortable to a lot of folks because it's the throttle side. Normally it's because you are putting to much of your weight on the bars. If you are using your right hand to hold you on the bike you won't be able to modulate the throttle with it. Concentrate on using your core strength to hold you on the bike, not your arms.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys,

Yes, I stomped on the back brake and the tire locked. Anyway, last week sometime, I hit a turn too fast and I had no choice but to lean the bike it was scary..lol I panicked, but my riding reflexes made me lean the bike. I was at the lowest I ever been to the road at that speed. Ever since then I've been wanting to get that feeling again. Thats why I posted this. Im loving the responses Im getting. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ummm don't hit the brakes in a corner....and just gradually go in faster and faster. Like said, you can't ride with fear or you WILL go down again. Just knowing also that your bike will stick is a good thing too, you went down before because you hit the brakes. You won't be able to out ride the grip on your tires on the street. Going down is 98% of the time another factor like gravel and dirt.

Thats another thing, Im trying to tell myself that the bike is going to stick. I have to think that more

·
Premium Member
30,470 Posts
get to the track - you'll learn what she can do. and riding the street will be a piece of cake - except for all the idiots in cars out there. :laugh

·
Super Mod
1,292 Posts
depends where you are. I know TPM does an ART 1 Basic program where you go to a normal day but are taken around by a coach and worked with throughout the day in your own group. I never took it but for new people on the track, I think it will help for sure.

·
Registered
42 Posts
thedub You escaped a 100mph highside with no gear without injury?

I had severe road rash on my left arm and a hole in my knee and more rash on my right arm and other knee. I hit my head on the concrete 4 times blacking out when i came bout a nice black dude help me. Ambulance came and you shoudl know the drill from there. Any1 wana see pics???

I usually dont grab my brakes on the turn but i do slow down with them before i enter a turn. Im now beginning to trail brake now i feel a lot more stable when doing it it brings the bike back a little more vertical.

·
Super Mod
1,292 Posts
The closest track for me is NJMP and thats about 40mins from me
Ok thats where I go too. Do yourself a favor and look into TPM and the ART Basic program they run. It will teach you a lot and get you pointed in the right direction. If you are that close to NJMP you have no reason not to! its a 3+ hour ride for me.

·
It's not if, but When...
274 Posts

Don't I know it...grumble grumble grumble

·
track is legal heroin
262 Posts
lol but be warned the track bug is a vicous one, i hit 2 track days, now i have a r6 that will never see street again, registered through mom, and racing this season and i will never go back (on a street bike at least, im hoping to pick up a ktm 690 smc next week) its amazing bud. you have to try it, you will be so surprised how much harder youpush, and relaxed you are knowing there is no dirt, cars, idiots, roadkill and worst of all...cops...jpjp, its unreal

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol but be warned the track bug is a vicous one, i hit 2 track days, now i have a r6 that will never see street again, registered through mom, and racing this season and i will never go back (on a street bike at least, im hoping to pick up a ktm 690 smc next week) its amazing bud. you have to try it, you will be so surprised how much harder youpush, and relaxed you are knowing there is no dirt, cars, idiots, roadkill and worst of all...cops...jpjp, its unreal

I believe that man...I can imagine! Now Im going to have a reason to have 2 bikes

1 - 20 of 30 Posts