Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
In Her Dreams
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about taking turns on the street, ie back country road you can get the bike leaning a little turns. I look through the turn try not to target fixate, make an effort to countersteer, but sometimes the bike still seems to run wide. Any idea what could cause this? My BP is descent not perfect but I shift my weight to the inside peg and even slide my outside leg against the tank which moves my butt from the center of the seat as well. I brought my bike (2006 R6 not the S) with a 190/55 rear. And it also seems to ride a bit low, could the suspension be an issue? Steering seems kind of heavy at times also.

Thanks for any advice or tips?

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
What kind of tire is it? The bigger rear could potentially make it turn slower depending on how the suspension is setup.

Have you had the suspension setup for your weight? If not, start with that. It will make a huge difference.

·
In Her Dreams
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not had that done, and it will be first on my list. Any bike shop will do for that? I'm new to the sport bike world kind of lol. It's some type of tomahawk tire or something like that.

·
Registered
243 Posts
How are you on the throttle? Do you chop it real hard right before you enter the turn? Are you off and on with it during the turn? That will also upset the suspension. But like others have suggested, dial in your suspension for your height and weight first. Good luck man, ride safe!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Harley Hatin'
391 Posts
Well welcome home lol....I would go find a reputable shop that u can half way trust (i don't trust any of them) and figure out what all ur settings are .....some of the track guys around here can tell u where to go from there....what to adjust and stuff...ride height....all that kind of thing

·
In Her Dreams
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How are you on the throttle? Do you chop it real hard right before you enter the turn? Are you off and on with it during the turn? That will also upset the suspension. But like others have suggested, dial in your suspension for your height and weight first. Good luck man, ride safe!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
No I actually roll the throttle closed in a smooth motion so as not to upset the suspension. In the turn I roll it open slightly, and increase beyond the apex, and drive off.

Well welcome home lol....I would go find a reputable shop that u can half way trust (i don't trust any of them) and figure out what all ur settings are .....some of the track guys around here can tell u where to go from there....what to adjust and stuff...ride height....all that kind of thing
Ok cause I'm 6'4 230 lbs.....hopefully some others chime in as well, thanks guys.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
No I actually roll the throttle closed in a smooth motion so as not to upset the suspension. In the turn I roll it open slightly, and increase beyond the apex, and drive off.

Ok cause I'm 6'4 230 lbs.....hopefully some others chime in as well, thanks guys.
If the settings are stock, it's going to be way off for you. You'll likely need new springs to get it really right, but dialing in the stock stuff to the best of it's ability will make a big difference.

If you want to play with it yourself, there's a thorough write-up in the Suspension Settings section about how to measure everything and set it up yourself.

Otherwise, find a local shop that sets up race bikes and have them do it for $20-40.

Or go to a track day, where they'll have suspension service on site.

·
In Her Dreams
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the settings are stock, it's going to be way off for you. You'll likely need new springs to get it really right, but dialing in the stock stuff to the best of it's ability will make a big difference.

If you want to play with it yourself, there's a thorough write-up in the Suspension Settings section about how to measure everything and set it up yourself.

Otherwise, find a local shop that sets up race bikes and have them do it for $20-40.

Or go to a track day, where they'll have suspension service on site.
Thanks for the advice, any recommend springs if it does come down to that?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Watch "twist of the wrist 2". That helped me out a lot. The story line dialog is lame but the instructional portion is good.... Next up is a track day for me to learn more, but i enjoyed what i got from it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts