Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Jonesing for track
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since my girlfriend and I are vacationing Xmas-New Years my family got together today and did our gift exchange. I literally sh*t my pants when I opened my gift from Santa...inside was a voucher good for sending me to the Ty Howard Advanced Race School in Texas for a 1 on 1 full day with him. This dude is a legend and I'm already crazy excited but super nervous. All I have to do is email Ty and get a date set up. I'm thinking late Feb-early March when the Texas weather starts getting nice.

http://www.tyhowardtx.com/

I need to chose whether I want to do it at ECR or MSR (Cresson). Never been to either track so I'm sorta clueless which one is better. His website says ECR is more technical and MSR is faster but not as technical. I also need to determine if I want to do it 1 on 1 with Ty for the entire day for $675 or if I want to invite up to 3 more riders, which would make it more fun and cheaper for everyone. I don't have any local buddies that race so I may create a feeler thread to see if any of you Texas boys are interested in meeting up and getting a private day with Ty.

Pretty awesome Xmas gift I think!!

Has anyone here gone to his race school, met or know Ty personally, or at least heard of his students experiences?

·
Premium Member
30,470 Posts
Ty is backwoods, aint he?? haha... cool as ice though. :fact and he's fast... especially considering he's actually getting up there in age a bit.

·
Jonesing for track
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The backwoods guy that still holds lap records at most, if not all of the Mid-West tracks...he isn't too old to teach me a few things and he still has a few tricks left in his sleeve to beat the youngsters at CMRA races.

·
Jonesing for track
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2012 CMRA standings shows he took 1st place in 3 classes:
Superbike A Expert
Superstock A Expert
Formula 1 Expert

Guy is still a beast :fact

·
R stands for RaceBike
9,022 Posts
I'm Jelly!

what would be the price for a few other people i'd drive to ECR or Cresson

·
R stands for RaceBike
9,022 Posts
....he said

. I don't have any local buddies that race so I may create a feeler thread to see if any of you Texas boys are interested in meeting up and getting a private day with Ty.

Jerk

·
Jonesing for track
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm Jelly!

what would be the price for a few other people i'd drive to ECR or Cresson
I'm leaning towards ECR as it is more technical than MSR, longer, and offers more corners, and cheaper $$. It is also a shorter travel distance for me (~6hrs). I also think ECR will be more beneficial for my needs than MSR as I have some crash demons and bad juju to get rid of on right handers.

Regarding the rates, Ty will only take a maximum of 4 students for the day (me +3 more). You will see below that the total costs are cheaper for us if we can fill the class.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Current Rates

ECR 1 rider $500 + $106 ($606) - MSR 1 rider $575 +$100 ($675)

ECR 2 riders $325 + $106 ($431) - MSR 2 riders $375 + $100 ($475)

ECR 3 riders $295 + $106 ($401) - MSR 3 riders $335 + $100 ($435)

ECR 4 riders $280 + $106 ($386) - MSR 4 riders $320 + $100 ($420)

There is an additional track fee charge at each track.

ECR charges $106 per student to ride under Ty's membership.

ECR is paid directly to the track management.

MSR charges $100 per student to ride under Ty's membership.

MSR is charged to Ty's membership dues and Ty adds the charge to the students bill.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not going to be greedy and hire Ty all to myself. That would be nerve racking and intimidating for me to be out there just the two of us. I think it would be a lot more fun if a few R6 members joined for a fun day being coached by one of the best racers in the Mid-West.

There are already two people interested in attending:
1. Bruiser
2. Rgmorales

I will email Ty after the new year (when I return from vacation) and get his schedule for late Feb/March. From there, we can plan out all the fine details.

·
R stands for RaceBike
9,022 Posts
Sweet!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts