Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys... need some more info on my new R6 to keep it from getting stolen, keep'en me on the road, and keep'en me comfortable on the road.
Now... what do you guys suggest in the areas of:

1. Bike protection - locks... chain, U-lock, etc... ???
2. Tow ropes - do you guys even carry them on your bike?
3. Bungy net - what kind do you have?
4. How much for a spair R6 key ('03)?
5. How do you tell time w/o a wrist watch (while on the bike?)

Now, there is my list of products that I need. What kind do you guys use, and how do you protect your bike in particular? And how do you guys haul stuff around - not much obviously, but a little?

Thanks guys, you people are my heroes, lol... Keep it safe...
-Solace

·
Registered
327 Posts
answers

In answer to question #:

1: Use Kryptonite locks and chains; if possible, chain your rear tire to a tree or some other immovable object, then throw a disc lock on the front; you can get Kryptonite chains and locks at Home Depot for about 35 bucks instead of paying 80 through some special bike store, but they don't have disc locks, so you'll probably get :hump 'd on that;

2:You don't need 'em;

3:Don't need it;

4:Your bike should have come with one, as well as that little metal piece with the numbers on it that you tell whoever you're having make you another key;

5:Check out your owner's manual, it tells you all about setting the clock and changing the time/trip displays.

**Note**My bike usually gets about 135 miles per tank before the gas light comes on, then I have about 10 to 15 miles left. If you love your bike, don't use the cheap gas.

:stupic

·
Registered
273 Posts
Miraclegrau's right on. NY chain will definitely deter all but Pros.

I do carry a bungee net in the tail just for spare lids and clothing for layering when cold out.

Mine came with 2 keys and the Key # tab.

I can squeeze out 150-160 before gas light comes on and ALWAYS use Good gas.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yeah Chain if your leaving your bike for a long time and disk locks for temporary. But if someone really wanted to steal your bike its not to hard to pick up with 3 people. However the disk locks wont come off without a key, something will brake before the lock comes off. Get a big backpack, or tank bag to carry stuff. Usually when i bring stuff home, if its in a bag i just hang the bag on my left hand and let it dangle. it works fine for me. you might want to try it. The bungy net probably wont hold much on the 6. the rear is kinda small for that, plus it looks kinda ugly.

I only get about 100-120 per tank in the city. 100 is when i'm juice-n it all the time. The most i ever got was 140 all freeway at about 100mph for about 15 mins. I dont know how everyone else gets so many miles out their tank.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey SolaceRye, there's many questions you've asked on this forum that should be in your owners manual, did they supply one to you with the bike?

2: - Tow Ropes. Granted I've only just bought the bike myself and do not have tow ropes but i've read that the clutch is lubricated while the engine is running - towing the bike a long distance without the engine running will damage the clutch so there's no way i'm going to attempt that!

5: - To change the mileometer display to clock mode, push the 'select' button for at least one second. Press again to return to previous mode.

To set the clock, (to quote the manual)

Push the 'select' button and 'reset' button together for at least two seconds.
When the hour digits start flashing, push the 'reset' button to set the hours.
Push 'select' and the minutes will start flashing.
Push 'reset' button to set the minutes.
Push 'select' button and then release to start the clock.

There is a whole lot of stuff you can configure on the multi-function display, from the brightness of the backlight to the timing of the shift light, you really need an owners manual if you do not already have one!

Take it easy and look after your new ride! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Perhaps. like me, he has a paralel import. Mine came with a Dutch manual, and I cant read a thing.

·
Registered
531 Posts
My answers are pretty much the same as miraclegrau

1. Kryptonite disc lock

2. Don't have one & wouldn't want to try it (towing a bike ???)

3. Don't have one.

4. & 5. as per miraclegrau

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I admit it... the 'tow rope' was an idiotic idea. My dad mentioned it b/c of my uncles Harley's, but still I didn't see the practicality of it. Other than that, I found the clock, how cool, lol... Thanks guys...

-Solace

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Like Jeees, I only get about max, 125 out of a tank. Then again, I'm not the most aerodynamic package on a bike! Think of what an innertube would look like sitting on your seat and that's me goin down the strret! Maybe I should invest in a corset or something ot up my mileage?

But, as for everything else, it's all tremendous advice. You'd be wsie to listen! Frickin brilliant people on this forum I tells ya! :jump

1 - 9 of 9 Posts