Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone recently my engine was reinstalled back into my 02 R6. But now I am unable to preload the shifter when trying to shift gears... the bike will shift each gear perfectly fine but the shifter will not move at all until I pull the clutch in or blip of the throttle when trying to clutchless shift. I thought maybe it was that the engine was not aligned perfectly but its still there and I don't know why. It acts completely normal and returns back to the normal position after a shift but just will not preload and acts like I am in 6th gear when trying to pull up a tiny bit on the shifter.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
Re: No shifter free play

Was the engine out to fix the famous 1st gen tranny issues? If it was, it's probably something internal that didn't go back together right.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts

Is it possible the shift lever is overtightened? Or was a washer left out? My guess is that the lever itself is binding slightly maybe?

The other question I have is - why is this a problem? I wish I could get all the free play out of my shift lever. :laugh

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

the free play is so you can preload the shifter for a quicker cleaner shift

but no I have taken the shifter linkage off to check for binding and taken it apart with and back together and still have the same problem. I tightened and loosened the pivot bolt and the same problem persist. It acts completely normal when the bike is off and on the rear stand shifting through the gears. It feels like when you are in 6th gear and don't know it and try to shift up its rock hard but it still shifts correctly once the clutch is pulled in.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts

Hmm, I don't know, I'm really curious what the problem is though. I just can't fathom might cause that without having opened up the motor / transmission.

What did you have the motor out for?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Was going to get head work done and get the cams timed but had issues with something else and that went out the window. Only thing that was taken apart off the engine was the valve cover to check the shim gap and that was it.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts

Seems like it would have to be something in the shift linkage that didn't go back together right then. Maybe the shift knuckle is off by a tooth on the splines? Usually that makes it so you can't get into 6th gear, and you'd know right away.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

the little arrows that line up together you are talking about? They are pretty much straight on if I move it then the arrows are way off and noticeable. I am stumped tho as it feels like it rides fine but I don't want to keep it up if one day the transmission decides to lock up or something -_-;

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Still trying to figure out my problem if anyone else has anything?

·
Meh
9,250 Posts

I thought I followed up here again - after riding my R1 home the last time I posted up, I think you're just overthinking it. That bike has pretty much no free play in the shift lever. I'm the only owner and I've never noticed a change.

It's obviously hard to say without riding your bike - but maybe something with loose in the linkage before and you fixed it when you put the motor back in?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

That couldn't be it, it had the same amount of preload that my drz can do and I would ride both those bikes each other day, I have just recently rode my friends R6 also and it has the same preload set that my bike had before. I am thinking maybe the spring broke in the back or something like that? It returns to where it is suppose to go so i am not sure.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Bumping this thread again maybe someone here may know. Shifter does not move at all when trying to preload the shifter when getting ready to make a shift.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts

What's curious is you say it behaves differently on the stand than when on the street.

That may be your clue right there.

The only two things that might change, are suspension load and engine/trans pressure. Orientation of the bike may also affect how the engine mounts are loaded. Re engine/trans pressure, there will be no real resistance from the trans when the bike is on the stand; meaning it'll be easier to shift.

If you valve lash was adjusted, affecting engine compression, it's possibile you may have a little more engine braking due to higher compression. That engine braking can make for a more difficult shift.

Beyond that, posting an exploded diagram of the linkage system may aid our attempts at coming up with other theories.

If this is setup anything like my car, free-play is basically the gap between the push rod and the clutch master cylinder. The push-rod is adjustable length. So adjusting the free-play in my car is as simple as adjusting the length of that rod.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

Its not that it behaves differently, I am not running the bike on the stand. It just feels normal still when clicking into each gear with the bike off. Someone on another forum said something might be bound up but idk what would be.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Still have this problem, thinking about taking the cover off and checking out the springs back there but from what I have been reading it should be acting different if the springs are broke. Anyone one else have any ideas?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts