Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am experiencing very strong vibrations from the engine. This is as most noticable when I cross 6000-7000 rpm and every rpm above that feels stronger. The idling on the bike has also been a little bit off or so it feels. The vibrations can be felt on the whole motorcycle, foot pegs, handlebars etc. I have weighted end bars but it doesn't help against the strong vibrations so it must be something wrong. My bike has 21500 km and changed spark plugs around 11300 km to Iridium and filter last year to Yamaha original. I'm planning to change the spark plugs and filter again but have questions.

1. My bike is tuned. Is it possible that with a tuned bike, the spark plugs get bad faster?
2. Could a bad air filter be the culprit to the engine behaving hard? Would be weird since I've had the filter for only a year.
3. In the service manual it says you are supposed to clean the spark plugs between 6000 km and 18000 km. In my case its been around 10200 km since I changed them last time and the difference between the service is 12000 km. Already bought new spark plugs but what spray can I use to clean the spark plugs later on?

Going to do some trips very soon and I can't have these strong vibrations, would make my hands go numb. It is literally unbearable to hold your hands on the grips right now because of that. Video: 20220518_173238.mp4
Any other idea of something that sounds off with my engine? You can also hear some misfiring in the idling.

I asked a friend who also have a 2017 R6 with more kilometers than my motorcycle and he tells me his motorcycle is smooth as butter which for me means something is definitely wrong with mine.

Thanks a lot :)

·
Registered
2008 Yellow Flame R6R
59 Posts
I’m not sure why you would put iridium plugs in, the factory ones are copper. Did this happen after you changed them out? I understand that irdium last longer but this is a race bike and copper has the best conductance. Spray some water on the headers to see if you’re have one of the cylinders miss firing or use an IR gun.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m not sure why you would put iridium plugs in, the factory ones are copper. Did this happen after you changed them out? I understand that irdium last longer but this is a race bike and copper has the best conductance. Spray some water on the headers to see if you’re have one of the cylinders miss firing or use an IR gun.
I actually didn't know that. For me it was all about getting the best product so that's why I went with Iridium spark plugs. Nobody ever told me the opposite.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,454 Posts
I had 16k miles on my copper plugs that came from the factory in my engine. They were worn, but I commuted daily 150miles on my engine and don't abuse my paid for engine like a race track wonnabe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts