Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
...Slow...
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you are friends with me on FaceBook and are following my progress updates, but I wanted to share a few updates.

First off, I bought another R6 :D - and yes...I hunted down another 50th and am on the hunt to make it better than my first one (totaled because of the accident).

Second off...I'm up and walking today with the help of a custom carbon fiber brace that was made to fit me. After waiting 3.5 weeks, I got it on this morning and can officially ditch my walking cane. I'm finally walking on my own after 2 months since the accident. It feels GREAT to be back on two feet. I have drop foot from the accident and this brace basically keeps my foot up and flexes when I walk.

Next month comes two more surgeries. My ACL and shoulder manipulation (all from this accident). However, I don't plan on letting them affect my positive attitude. I'll be in a full leg brace again for the ACL but my surgeon says I can be back on my feet and in this CF brace within 2-3 weeks after the surgery.

Anywho...onto the pictures. First pic - how the new bike sits. It was basically stock, except for an Akra megaphone that was on it. I was able to pull my PCV off the old bike and I put that in the new one. I also bought a full Graves system after going back and forth with a Graves & Akra I decided to call up Brad @ RD and get a full Graves system. A little of my TCL and the bike looks as good as my old one :)

Third picture...is of my carbon fiber brace. Some people won't care, but I think it looks dope. They asked me "What color do you want it painted?". I told them "none - clear that b*tch and show that CF". They laughed and said alright. Looks awesome for a handicap device :lmao

·
Formerly UnknownResource
487 Posts
I had/have drop foot from accident last year. My brace wasn't near as cool though lol glad to see you're up and in good spirits man. My main concern was getting my bike back road worthy, and getting back on it asap, which I think played a large role in how quick I healed from the accident and ACL surgery. Anyways, good luck with the healing process buddy! :cheers

sent while on the move

·
...Slow...
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had/have drop foot from accident last year. My brace wasn't near as cool though lol glad to see you're up and in good spirits man. My main concern was getting my bike back road worthy, and getting back on it asap, which I think played a large role in how quick I healed from the accident and ACL surgery. Anyways, good luck with the healing process buddy! :cheers

sent while on the move
How long did you have the drop foot? If you still have it, how is it going?

·
Formerly UnknownResource
487 Posts
How long did you have the drop foot? If you still have it, how is it going?
Wreck was April 2013. I wore the brace for about 6 months, and it's about 95% now as far as the drop foot. Not enough to notice during everyday living, but I do still have some nerve damage in this leg that will never heal apparently.

sent while on the move

·
...Slow...
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wreck was April 2013. I wore the brace for about 6 months, and it's about 95% now as far as the drop foot. Not enough to notice during everyday living, but I do still have some nerve damage in this leg that will never heal apparently.

sent while on the move
Hopefully I see some improvement in the next few months. Did yours gradually come back, or did you just wake up one day and be able to dorsiflex (lift up) your foot?

that's actually a very high quality fiber weave too.

how's the insurance stuff coming from the bag that hit ya?
Without saying much...she basically has no money or anything to take :nono

·
Reads the rulez
2,247 Posts
Hopefully I see some improvement in the next few months. Did yours gradually come back, or did you just wake up one day and be able to dorsiflex (lift up) your foot?

Without saying much...she basically has no money or anything to take :nono
I'm sure we can get a gang to meet up and stop by her house and break some knee caps if you want. :bowroll

·
Formerly UnknownResource
487 Posts
Hard to say for sure, but I'm thinking gradually. I was walking before I got my brace, so it actually took about a week for me to realize something wasn't right. I'd walk weird and sometimes I trip over my foot, so on my next trip to the orthopedic I told him and he got me a brace. I had the brace on most of the time and never thought about it, until I went to walk one day and wasn't having it drag anymore, so I threw it in the closet.
I still can't lift this foot as high as my other, but I only notice it when I'm trying to use my rear brake lol. I also can't lift my big toe at all and only part of my calf works. Not sure if that's related to the drop foot, but it's been over a year, so chances of those things coming back are not likely.

sent while on the move

·
...Slow...
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well hopefully she had insurance that can help you out.
She did - but she has sh1t a$$ insurance :nono

If you're over the age of 65, the minimum shouldn't be enough. They should have higher minimum insurance.

That's just my 2cents.

Either way - I'm staying positive about it. Negative thoughts will only keep me from progressing.

·
wat?
716 Posts
Hard to say for sure, but I'm thinking gradually. I was walking before I got my brace, so it actually took about a week for me to realize something wasn't right. I'd walk weird and sometimes I trip over my foot, so on my next trip to the orthopedic I told him and he got me a brace. I had the brace on most of the time and never thought about it, until I went to walk one day and wasn't having it drag anymore, so I threw it in the closet.
I still can't lift this foot as high as my other, but I only notice it when I'm trying to use my rear brake lol. I also can't lift my big toe at all and only part of my calf works. Not sure if that's related to the drop foot, but it's been over a year, so chances of those things coming back are not likely.

sent while on the move
Keep your hopes up. My accident was just over 6 years ago now, and progress was SLOW. I started with no feeling/movement from knee down, eventually progressing to drop foot which lasted a loooong time. It's still not 100% (and still takes more effort than my left foot) but I can lift my foot, all my toes, and most of my numbness is gone. It took way past a year to get to that point though, and was a very gradual and slow process.

Best of luck to both of you :toocool:

·
Formerly UnknownResource
487 Posts
Keep your hopes up. My accident was just over 6 years ago now, and progress was SLOW. I started with no feeling/movement from knee down, eventually progressing to drop foot which lasted a loooong time. It's still not 100% (and still takes more effort than my left foot) but I can lift my foot, all my toes, and most of my numbness is gone. It took way past a year to get to that point though, and was a very gradual and slow process.

Best of luck to both of you :toocool:
That definitely gives me hope, man. It'd be nice to get the movement back, but its not something I'm going to let bother me. Good luck with your recovery also :cheers

sent while on the move

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.