Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Just a dumb racer..
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys.

I originally bought all my sets of glass (4 and counting.. :( ) Here in aus for the purpose of having spares.

I'm now considering buying from the US because it's so much cheaper. I've got a set of hotbodies glass on the bike at the moment, and it's shit. I don't know which WSBK team is using it (as hotbodies claim..) but they're getting screwed.

How much do you pay for a set of glass, and where from? Recommendations?

Cheers

Richo

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
Wouldn't the cost of shipping negate any savings you might get?

·
Just a dumb racer..
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure mate. With our dollar at parity, and considering I'll likely buy more than one set it's doubtful.

Pretty common practice to buy leathers overseas at the moment, I Got my boots for about half local price from the UK.

It's $1500 for a set of racers edge glass to my door..

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
Got my set for my 08 from Rockwall bodywork, they run their own AMA team and are pretty good. Never crashed in them but from comparing with Optimal racing bodywork that I helped my buddy mount on his 09, the Rockwall was a lot better in quality and fit. Paid under $300 picked up locally in Dallas, TX during 09 december clearance sale, not sure if the price is still the same, but dont hurt to ask :laugh, and they do come primered.

·
Just a dumb racer..
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah exactly. I'll get onto Rockwall during the week. Might see if they want an Aus distributor, I can line up a deal here.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
if you're gonna be paying extra money to get the bodywork shipped overseas, you might as well tack on a few extra bucks and get the best we've got... so basically you have 2 options: sharkskinz and armour bodies. i have ABs, the fit it perfect and the quality is awesome. i've also been able to repair them with no problems and they crash well. i've seen/handled sharkskinz and they're simply the best that anyone makes. most painters would agree.

if you're tired of messing around, my suggestion is to stick with these 2 options. they have a reputation for consistently being the best bodywork you can get in the states.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
^^^ Either way still way cheaper than $1500! I would rock the ABs if the quality is like you say

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
Rich... Hotbodies basically (barely) passes tech here... to mirror Jordan, Sharkskinz is basically the best made here (seen equal or better in Europe), while Armour Bodies (Canadian) probably represents the best value... not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for... quality indeed.

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
What is the weak point, panel gaps etc? Or the actual durability?
I'm not a materials guy, so I don't know where the problems stem from... finish is so-so, fit not so much, doesn't crash well... I've seen cracks stem from edges/panel gaps and it seems flimsier than most.

·
Just a dumb racer..
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rich... Hotbodies basically (barely) passes tech here... to mirror Jordan, Sharkskinz is basically the best made here (seen equal or better in Europe), while Armour Bodies (Canadian) probably represents the best value... not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for... quality indeed.
Thanks Max.

I got the hotbodies because it was cheap (by our standards, imported by Mladin...) and available (I painted it in the week leading up to GP, not sure if I would've gotten a naked bike through scrutineering...)

As I said, looking at 1500 for a set of Racers Edge here, which is amazing quality.. but if I can get 2 sets of Sharkskinz or 3 of Armour Bodies for that money I'll just throw out panels if they get rashed.

Thanks for the input guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts