Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I recently bought a 2001 R6, I immediately noticed that upon twisting the throttle.. it doesn't go back. It'll just stay wherever I move it to. I'm quite new to bike mechanics so can someone recommend a guide or an explanation of what I can do to fix this please? thank you!

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
First make sure the return cable isn't broken.

Assuming nothing is broken, run through this list I just made up:

1. Make sure the nothing is dragging on the handlebar, preventing the throttle tube from turning. Maybe the end of the throttle tube is all chewed up? Maybe the grip rubber is overhanging the throttle tube and rubbing on the bar? A new throttle tube isn't very expensive if you think it will help: http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/01-0094/
2. Take apart the throttle housing and make sure everything is lubed up so nothing binds.
3. Lube the cables. You'll need one of these little gadgets: http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0182/.
4. Spray the springs on the carburator with some aerosol lube.
5. Make sure the cable routing is correct and they aren't kinking/binding somewhere.

That should probably take care of it.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
I use tri-flo on the cables. You can find it at any bicycle shop and it's a great lubricant. I use it on all sorts of stuff.

Another likely cause of the throttle sticking is that one of the cables is too tight. There should be a tiny bit of slack on them, but if they are too tight it can stick like that. You can see the slack and adjust it where they attach to the throttle wheel on the carbs.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Wd-40?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hm alright thanks guys i'll probably try all this over the weekend.. I might just buy new cables if I have to take the fairings and gas tank off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there a guide for how to replace them? Or is it kinda easy to do? Will I need any special tools or anything. Also can someone link me to which one to buy, they have ones that say push and pull idunnno which is which.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
There's no reason to buy replacements just because you're digging in there. It's super easy. Fairings have to come off for all kinds of maintenance, but you should not have to remove them for this. The fuel tank only needs to be propped up, not completely removed.

Replacement is easy. I recommend routing a new cable in before removing the old ones, to make sure you route it correctly. No special tools needed. A screwdriver to open the throttle housing, probably a 10mm wrench at the other end, and probably some allens to remove the seat, front tank bolts, and air box.

Not sure what you're looking at, but there are 2 throttle cables. #10 and #11 here: http://www.partzilla.com/parts/sear...R6+-+YZF-R6N/STEERING+HANDLE+CABLE/parts.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what the heck. I went and randomly turned the throttle when my bike was off in the garage and it didn't stick? But it ddid the past few days.. what am I dealing with now guys?

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
Things change. If the routing was pinched, maybe the bars are in a different spot. If it needs lube, maybe there is less friction at the current temperature. Dub and I gave you a big list of things to check, so get at all those things checked out. Don't assume it fixed itself, because it will stick again.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
The only place you might find one is in a moto shop. I have one but I think it sucks and never use it. I just hold the cable end up and let the lube flow down it. Be very generous with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts