Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
"Hollywood"
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use these? I heard from another rider that the guys that race use there tires for a few laps and ditch them and they are still in pretty good shape....I need to find out where in Portland dealers/people sell them...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I haven't personally used them, but I have seen a lot of people use them before. They are called 'race take-offs'. A lot of the hard-core track goers sell them cheap to lesson the cost of their track days. They ride so hard that they do not want to recycle the tires because they won't take a second beating on the track. They still have decent tread left over and a lot of decent riding miles. I just wouldn't use them for a track day though.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I ride take-off's and I will always ride them.... Racers heat-cycle tires....and after a couple of cycles the sides get work out and they start to loose traction....so maybe a guy rides one set of tires a weekend....that's including practice and the race which is, total, prolly 24-30 laps depending on race lenght and pracitce time....as you probably know racers don't ride on the CENTER of the tire they spend more time on the sides at extreme lean angles so it is not uncommon for street guys to buy take-offs to ride on the street b/c of the totally good rubber sitting in the middle of the tire....

I've ridden the take-off's I have on now for about 2K miles....and they're still doin the job....keep in mind that these are not SLICKS but DOT's of some sorts....like I ride Pirelli Diablo SuperCorsa's not the Dragon Slicks....you couldn't ride hard enough on the street correctly warm slicks up and use them safely.....I hope my long stammering explanation helps you out.....This is only my experience with them....

·
Registered
214 Posts
Is that Portland, Orygun. That is where i ride. I can call some freinds and find out where to get take-offs!!!

·
"Hollywood"
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep in Portland Orygun...that would be great if you can find out where and how much..thanks!

Dan

·
"Hollywood"
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found a place in Beaverton, EDR performance....thanks!

D

·
Registered
380 Posts
I am running a rear race take off at the moment.. bought it when i was at the mid-ohio superbike races.. cost me $40 installed i think no problem

·
Registered
244 Posts
Take offs can be a good deal for the average rider.... I said average rider... the most important thing to keep in mind about "take-offs" is the number of heat cycles they have been through. How can you tell the number of heat cycles? Usually the discoloration of the rubber which is very evident on the sides. Race take offs that have been through one track day usually haven't been through more than around 3 heat cycles of course this differs depending on the rider. But those tires would still be good for perhaps another 3 heat cycles, before the compound of the rubber has broken down to the point that they become hard and will not heat up to provide good traction. These tires may be good for limited stunting but not for track or hard riding. If you can find some take offs that still have lots of tread on them, that does NOT mean they are still good. Look for the heavy discoloration. Usually you can see a purplish blue hue to them. Here is a pic of a not so good take off...

Here is a pic of a tire that does not have the blue discoloration and is probably still a good tire....

[/img]

·
Registered
167 Posts
I bought a set of supercorso take-off's for my track bike and put about 200 miles on them, and now I need new ones, since they're melted. But I might put them on the R1 since they still have a ton of life, and would not come even close to riding the R1 like I do the R6.... :mrgreen:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts