Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ok to use a C clip chain on the R6r instead of riveting one on? I made sure the slip was going in the right directiong so it wont get caught on anything and be ripped off. Im sure the riveting would be better, but do you think the C clip one will be ok?

Thanks, Greg

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,380 Posts
I'll start by saying that it'd be MUCH, MUCH better to get it riveted somewhere if you don't have the tool.

However, you can use a clip style, but I would recommend throwing away the clip and using safety wire to secure it. I have attached a drawing of how to apply it. I have had several clips break off on bikes (dirt and old street bikes). I have never had a safety wire fail. I used to use this method on all my race bikes, but I also changed the chains every six race weekends. On my street sport bikes I always use the rivet type.

But again, I would recomend getting a rivet type and taking the bike to someone that has a tool. Give em a few bucks and be done.

Attachments

·
FastForward Performance
961 Posts
The main reason clips fail is from improper installation. I have never seen or heard of anyone safety wiring a master in the fashion you show...If I use a clip, I will wire it in place, but have never omitted the clip. JMO Tdub

·
Registered
672 Posts
Dude a harbor freight chain breaker tool is $16 and when used right will easily rivet the pins. I think the clips are probably fine it's just nice peace of mind to just rivet it and be done.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
I've heard that the clip masters are about 65% as strong as the regular links, where the rivet ones are just about as strong as the rest of the links.

So to answer the question, I'd say that the clip link will work about 65% as well as the rivet one :D

I have always used clip style masters on my quads and dirt bikes. One was a quadzilla 500 worked to the balls and I never had problems with it.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
The main reason clips fail is from improper installation. I have never seen or heard of anyone safety wiring a master in the fashion you show...If I use a clip, I will wire it in place, but have never omitted the clip. JMO Tdub
Agreed... Clips rarely fail unless you fail at installing them correctly.... and it would be more likely to bake the tire before you break a chain, rivet or clip link. The only two chains I have ever seen actually break were rivet chains, a 525 on a gixxer 1k and a 630 on a drag bike, both were WAY WAY WAY too tight.

I would never omit the clip, just wire on top.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Usually in normal application with proper installation stuff like this is a bit over engineered. This is good. If clip masters were as bad as people make them out to be the government would ban them(not their job but they take it upon themselves). Are chains rated for max power by chance? If not I would be interested to see how many HP a 520 has held. I say that because while our bikes have relatively good HP there are a lot of higher HP bikes with the same chain. 65% as good as the rivet type might still be over engineered.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Agreed... Clips rarely fail unless you fail at installing them correctly.... and it would be more likely to bake the tire before you break a chain, rivet or clip link. The only two chains I have ever seen actually break were rivet chains, a 525 on a gixxer 1k and a 630 on a drag bike, both were WAY WAY WAY too tight.

It's hard to get that clip on without bending it tho!!

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Usually in normal application with proper installation stuff like this is a bit over engineered. This is good. If clip masters were as bad as people make them out to be the government would ban them(not their job but they take it upon themselves). Are chains rated for max power by chance? If not I would be interested to see how many HP a 520 has held. I say that because while our bikes have relatively good HP there are a lot of higher HP bikes with the same chain. 65% as good as the rivet type might still be over engineered.
This^^^ and it goes by tensile strength IIRC.
It's hard to get that clip on without bending it tho!!
Not really.... unless you are a ....

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I make sure to link in on the rear sprocket... line it up from the top so the Ushape points down. Take a fat blade screwdriver and put it against the clip and tap lightly on the screwdriver with a dead blow hammer or rubber mallet. goes right on.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
I make sure to link in on the rear sprocket... line it up from the top so the Ushape points down. Take a fat blade screwdriver and put it against the clip and tap lightly on the screwdriver with a dead blow hammer or rubber mallet. goes right on.
I have bent em a little doing it this way with basic hand tools. I also was just getting into bikes back then. It's probably been 8 years since I did a clip link chain. At the time I removed 2 links to shorten it, and put in a new clip link. :laugh I didn't know shit other than the chain was too fcuking long. :D

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I have bent em a little doing it this way with basic hand tools. I also was just getting into bikes back then. It's probably been 8 years since I did a clip link chain. At the time I removed 2 links to shorten it, and put in a new clip link. :laugh I didn't know shit other than the chain was too fcuking long. :D
Yeah, i have probably put on 50 of them over time.... Its just a feel thing.... You have to be careful and sometimes it takes a couple tries. I always keep an extra master link on my throttle cable of my dirt bike just in case... Nothing worse that looking for a link clip for two hours only to find it....broken... With the extra clip, I just put it on and go if the chain comes off...

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Yeah, i have probably put on 50 of them over time.... Its just a feel thing.... You have to be careful and sometimes it takes a couple tries. I always keep an extra master link on my throttle cable of my dirt bike just in case... Nothing worse that looking for a link clip for two hours only to find it....broken... With the extra clip, I just put it on and go if the chain comes off...
Good call!

·
FastForward Performance
961 Posts
It is a common misconception that a clip link is weaker than a rivet link. This just isn't true. The clip itself has absolutely nothing to do with the strength of the chain. The pins and plates are the same on both types. Tdub

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
It is a common misconception that a clip link is weaker than a rivet link. This just isn't true. The clip itself has absolutely nothing to do with the strength of the chain. The pins and plates are the same on both types. Tdub
Which is pretty much my feelings when I read some stupid shit from some vendor trying to sell me a rivet chain because they have a great deal on the fcukin rivet tool.... My bike doesnt have the snuff to snap the chain or the link, and if it does, I would have to have the wheel locked down and rev it to the redline and drop the hammer on it....then, MAYBE.... if the wheel is free to spin, itll spin before you break the chain or link...

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,380 Posts
I'll start by saying that it'd be MUCH, MUCH better to get it riveted somewhere if you don't have the tool.

However, you can use a clip style, but I would recommend throwing away the clip and using safety wire to secure it. I have attached a drawing of how to apply it. I have had several clips break off on bikes (dirt and old street bikes). I have never had a safety wire fail. I used to use this method on all my race bikes, but I also changed the chains every six race weekends. On my street sport bikes I always use the rivet type.

But again, I would recomend getting a rivet type and taking the bike to someone that has a tool. Give em a few bucks and be done.

The method I gave was the prescribed method for safety wiring a master link for Willow Springs Motorcycle Club. It came straight out of the tech inspection rulebook as late as 2000. The rule book has changed now and prescribes safety wiring the clip. However, I used to wrap around the wire "waist" of the link, as well, but that loop, often times broke.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts