• Rear brake only

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Front, then rear brake

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Rear, then front brake

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Both at the same time

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • I really need to go to my MSF Instructor and bitchslap him for being an idiot.

Votes: 3 2.7%
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
I roll with Wanderlei
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys,

Yesterday night I began taking the MSF course and the instructor said something about the rear brake being the primary break and the front brake being secondary. He also said to use both when braking because it's good practice just in case you need to brake hard on the street.

However, when I asked a couple of buddies abour how the brake, they all said they use the front brake only.

Can someone explain to me what's going on? Is the instructor correct or are my friends correct? What do you guys do? I don't know how much to listen to my instructor, especially since he says it's okay to throw marbles at tailgaters and use boat horns on cagers who use their phones while driving.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, I haven't ridden yet but I'm thinking of getting use to using my rear brake first and then incorporate the front a second or so later.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Your front brake provides much more stopping power and you are less likely to lock it up. I use the front brake the majority of the time, but i apply the front and then the rear when i really need to stop. 70%front 30%braking power(due to the weight shift from stopping)...as far as i understand it

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
your instructor sounds like a moron...

it even says in the MSF book that 75% of braking power comes from the front brake.

when i'm riding hard on the street or at the track i only use front brake, but if i'm just cruising in traffic i use them both (but still the front much much more than the rear) just so i dont wear my brake pads up front more than they need to be for useless braking.

·
I roll with Wanderlei
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your front brake provides much more stopping power and you are less likely to lock it up. I use the front brake the majority of the time, but i apply the front and then the rear when i really need to stop. 70%front 30%braking power(due to the weight shift from stopping)...as far as i understand it
Yeah, that's what he said (70% for front, 30% for rear). I'm guessing he wants us to stay away from using the front only because of the danger that comes from locking the front wheel. If you lock the front wheel, you may fall. If you lock the rear wheel, you're suppose to keep your foot on the break and ride the locked rear wheel until you stop. From what he was saying, if you end up locking a wheel, make it be the rear.

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
The only way you'll lock the front wheel is if you're on cold tires/incorrect pressure. You'll lock it up or get thrown over. I never use my rear brake. Its fine to use it on the street a little bit. Once you get into more aggressive riding and/or track riding you hardly ever use the rear. I only use the rear brake when I'm super hard on the front and I barely press the rear just to settle the suspension before tip in. This is why a lot of guys who buy brake lines only buy the fronts and don't worry about the rear.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
The only way you'll lock the front wheel is if you're on cold tires/incorrect pressure. You'll lock it up or get thrown over. I never use my rear brake. Its fine to use it on the street a little bit. Once you get into more aggressive riding and/or track riding you hardly ever use the rear. I only use the rear brake when I'm super hard on the front and I barely press the rear just to settle the suspension before tip in. This is why a lot of guys who buy brake lines only buy the fronts and don't worry about the rear.
For the most part this ^^^^ is all true, however trail braking with the rear is nice at times...

Really, you should rely more on your front brake than your rear brake, as it is the most powerful and effective weapon you have for stopping. Using both is a good habit, but at this stage in your riding, you should concentrate on keep the bike upright and using the front brake so that you dont crash as a result of needing to use it and not having the ability to know how much.

·
I roll with Wanderlei
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
your instructor sounds like a moron...

it even says in the MSF book that 75% of braking power comes from the front brake.

when i'm riding hard on the street or at the track i only use front brake, but if i'm just cruising in traffic i use them both (but still the front much much more than the rear) just so i dont wear my brake pads up front more than they need to be for useless braking.
The instructor wasn't denying the fact that brake power is around 70%/30% front/rear. Maybe he wants us to focus more on the back just in case us inexperienced riders press on the brake too hard. Better to press hard on a brake that only gives 30% stopping power versus the only that gives you a whopping 70%. Does this make sense?

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
On the street, I use both. Using both squats the bike instead of nose diving it to a stop.

The rear is 30% of your stopping power, I use it for exactly that... any MILD braking.

It's easy to lock up the rear after you're hard on the front though.... it's alot easier to recover from locking up the rear than locking up the front :fact

Maybe your instructor was getting at the rear brake being your primary brake in slow speed maneuvers to keep your bike upright.

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
For the most part this ^^^^ is all true, however trail braking with the rear is nice at times...

Really, you should rely more on your front brake than your rear brake, as it is the most powerful and effective weapon you have for stopping. Using both is a good habit, but at this stage in your riding, you should concentrate on keep the bike upright and using the front brake so that you dont crash as a result of needing to use it and not having the ability to know how much.
:swordfigh

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
On a sport bike, the rear won't amount to even 30%. Only time I use it is to settle the suspension or if I'm in the grass.

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
On a sport bike, the rear won't amount to even 30%. Only time I use it is to settle the suspension or if I'm in the grass.
:werd

I only use the rear brake when I'm stopped on an incline to keep the bike from rolling back before I get going.

Definitely only use the rear on the grass!!! :lmao

But I'd use your front mostly and maybe the rear a little when you're first starting out. When I started riding, I wasn't used to the front end diving so much on a bike, so I used the rear brake a little to settle the back and keep it down. As I got a little better, I began using the rear a lot less. You can do a lot better stopping with the front.

I wouldn't worry about locking up any wheel but the rear while braking. It's unlikely you'll lock up the front unless you just GRAB the brakes. :nono So don't let that fear get to you.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
my front brake provides 100% of my stopping power. haven't even tried the rear brake yet on the new bike. i suspect they put it there to make new riders feel all warm and fuzzy inside. oh, and if you go off-track, too. haven't done that in awhile...

s3aturnr

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
my front brake provides 100% of my stopping power. haven't even tried the rear brake yet on the new bike. i suspect they put it there to make new riders feel all warm and fuzzy inside. oh, and if you go off-track, too. haven't done that in awhile...

s3aturnr
true dat. i forgot about group 3. super noobs, super talents, and super ****ed. :laugh

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
How does the rear brake help when the rear tire isn't touching the tarmac? :sing
It doesnt! :fact But when I first started riding, I came no where NEAR getting the back off the ground.

I just offered it as a suggestion to help settle the rear because I was scared of the front end diving when I started riding.

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
It doesnt! :fact But when I first started riding, I came no where NEAR getting the back off the ground.

I just offered it as a suggestion to help settle the rear because I was scared of the front end diving when I started riding.
Wasn't directed at you... and considering your threads/pics, I have a very hard time believing YOU get the rear tire off the ground under braking... just sayin'.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts