Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the track when do you guys use the clutch, or do you even use it? Back when I raced 2 stroke dirtbikes we had to use the clutch a lot. Then I switched to 4 strokes and with the torque we never really used the clutch.

I'll be watching videos and see riders clutching the bikes and was just wondering about it. Now I never use it except when launching. Just blip for downshifts and keep the RPMs up thru the turn. Just looking for some advise.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Red Rocket
588 Posts
On the street I always use it. On the track I use it for downshifting, comes with a slipper clutch, may as well use it right?

Looking to get a quickshifter go link with my flashtune to I don't have to use it upshifting, and I can feel a little safer knowing I may not be doing any damage.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
On the track when do you guys use the clutch, or do you even use it? Back when I raced 2 stroke dirtbikes we had to use the clutch a lot. Then I switched to 4 strokes and with the torque we never really used the clutch.

I'll be watching videos and see riders clutching the bikes and was just wondering about it. Now I never use it except when launching. Just blip for downshifts and keep the RPMs up thru the turn. Just looking for some advise.

for starts and for downshifting. if your bike has a slipper clutch, don't worry about rev-matching. i've seen vids of people using the clutch for upshifts, but, generally speaking, those riders have been painfully slow...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
At your pace do you ever get out of 1st :dunno
:laugh

I use the clutch on down shifts and I'm pretty sure on up shifts as well sometimes. I can't be sure, I've always ment to video my hand to see what I'm doing but either way I've never felt it a hinder to my pace. I do want a quick shifter some time.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,551 Posts
I've got my eye on a quick shifter in the future.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok cool. In fairly good at shifting with no clutch and letting the back end get loose. Launch like a bauce tho haha.

I've been thinking about cutting the clutch springs. That mod seems legit

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Ok cool. In fairly good at shifting with no clutch and letting the back end get loose. Launch like a bauce tho haha.

I've been thinking about cutting the clutch springs. That mod seems legit

as many already suggested, i would stop that.. ;)
downshifting without a clutch is not the same as upshifting without a clutch. I'm not saying it's impossible to downshift w/out the clutch, but this isn't a dirt bike that has the back tire easily breakin traction.
While i'm sure with skill and practice (as you are doin) you can sometimes match the rpm to the speed and the downshift will go smoothly, it doesn't take too many that are not as smooth to start rounding gear dogs and potentially bend shift forks, etc.

Upshifting is an entirely different deal. On an upshift w/out the clutch, you simply roll off the throttle 5% or so, at same time shift. bam. Easy-peasy. The trans is a design that allows this with ZERO downside. Hence millions of street and race bikes with quickshifters that cut the ignition/fuel to allow this to happen with no bad problems at all..

Downshift is NOT the same. The trans IS under a load, and there is nothing you can do about that. So you try to time your downshift by rolling off the gas but you have a very narrow window for it to be done right. Off by a few rpm, and the trans is still loaded from engine braking, and things wear faster. the clutch feed as you downshift is better. SOME top wsb/motoGP bikes i THINK have big $$ software that allows for clutchless downshifts, but i still see most racers on TV downshifting with a clutch. my 2c anyway :)

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
And that concludes your Melk-Man lesson for the day.

Until next time folks.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
return to target
19 Posts
2 stroke dirtbike? Only use the clutch to launch, don't need it for up or downshifts.

4 stroke street bike? Clutch for starts and downshifts (with rev-matching since I don't have a slipper).

I can still get the rear end a little loose if I'm hard on the brake while downshifting if I have to scrub a ton of speed. It can get scary the first few times, but once you expect it coming it's no big dea.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
2 stroke dirtbike? Only use the clutch to launch, don't need it for up or downshifts.

4 stroke street bike? Clutch for starts and downshifts (with rev-matching since I don't have a slipper).

I can still get the rear end a little loose if I'm hard on the brake while downshifting if I have to scrub a ton of speed. It can get scary the first few times, but once you expect it coming it's no big dea.
this.. ^

keep in mind it is still often a good idea to rev-match even WITH a slipper clutch. ;)

That said, there are times now, especially experimenting with different flashes of the ecu engine braking settings, that i am not rev matching.. rather i am braking, downshifting, and gently feeding the clutch out to get more engine braking when needed. rev matching takes away more of the engine braking, which is a nice thing say entering a high speed corner that requires a downshift, or a decreasing radius turn where just dumping the clutch and if there is too much engine braking results in upsetting the bike..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts