Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I havent got to take a ride with it yet but..... I've been playing with it and noticed bad picture quality and blue dots everywhere all over the screen.
Im still gonna give it one more shot. I bought a "slightly used" unit so maybe thats the problem.. But Im definately sending this one back in hopes its defective, I'll probably pay some extra money to get a "new" one and hope for the best. I'll keep you al updated.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nope nothing new... I sent the defective one back and already recieved a new one... But it came after I left on vacation with my wife and kid... I should be back on mon. and will mount it and go for a test ride..... stay tuned hahaha.
Oh and helmetcameracentral.com has been really helpful they said they are sending me a brand new on at no additional cost, and sent it as soon as I gave them a tracking #. Very good customer service!!

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
My buddy is going to get me one to evaluate. We're trying to get it before Indy, but it will be close. Providing the unit is good, I'm going to try to arrange a group buy. Not sure of exact pricing, but I've been told in the $525 - $550 range for forum members only.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I went out and rode with it today... im not very impressed with video quality its not anywhere dvd quality as they advertise and on top of this dont plan on recording anything outside when it starts to get dark, reason being everything that is outside my lights has blue dots everywhere(this is why i sent it in to get a new one) and where my headlights shine its really low quality. That being said this is still the best "bullet style" camera and you can get good shots you couldnt get with a regular camera, also this is the only camera I would trust or use snowboarding or any other "extreme" sport
as it is really rugged and waterproof it also is very discrete nobody will notice it unless they really look of you point it out. If anyone is looking for a camera to record while riding and not gonna need it for other sports or crazy mounting angles you would be better off getting a regular camera and a bike mount. The Hd 1080 HDD camera's are really dropping in price and you cand get one for about 900$ and the non hd HDD ones are 300$ and up and even the non hd ones blow the pov1's picture quality out of the water. I'll upload some vids if anyone wants me too.

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
My eval unit is supposed to arrive shortly, but I would love to see some sample vids shot at the highest resolution.

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
I just found out that my eval. unit won't come in until after Indy... too bad, I was hoping to test it out at MotoGP... :(

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the long wait to get some vids... been really busy, well here they are. video is made up of clips first part is during daylight sun is slightly setting second part is dark and bonus footage of a rhino marking his teritory and a clip of medival times.

Click here to watch vio-test

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
Thanks for posting the vid. I don't see where the quality is lacking, especially for this type of camera. Considering the size of the non-adjustable lens aperture, and the fact that it is also fixed focus, I'm actually impressed with the quality of the video. No doubt, it will be even better when there is adequate light. While it is true that palm-sized HDV and SD cameras are available, getting cheaper, and have better quality video, none of these will mount to the helmet very easily, and I question their longevity after they are subjected to prolonged vibration. A camera like this will allow me to have a true POV no matter what type of video I shoot... :sing

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes it does look decent (during day) on a computer screen, But when put on a television thats where the quality starts to degrade. Not saying its a horrible camera. Just pointing out to those looking to get a camera to record while riding do the research and buy what suits your needs. If you need the "best quality" video dont buy the pov. If you need a versitile take anywhere shoot anything camera DO buy the pov. for what it is it works great. My only two major gripes is the fact that night time shooting is horrible and you NEED to buy a longer cable if you ride with a suit as the cord is not long enough to reach to the storage and if in a full suit there is no place to put it, unless you ziptie it somewhere (im not comfortable with that)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts