Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just curious.... what are the pros and cons of a V-twin vs a 4 cylinder and their differences! Ex. Rc51 and cbr1000rr

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
V twins have lots of low end torque, and a smoother power band, but the 4 cylinder revs higher, and makes more HP per cc.
An R1 will smoke an RC51 if both are stock.

Twins are smooth power where 4 cyls are raw wicked power.

Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
347 Posts
not just that, the whole bike will feel different and the weight balance are not even close

ppl who are good at 4 cycl doesn't like v-twin and ppl who are use to v-twin doesn't like 4 cycl. at least that's what i heard

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Texas6 and Spenchen.... That definenlty gives me a understanding of the two!

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
The V-twin has the "right now" on demand power but they wind out sooner than the 4's. The 4 cyclinder has great power but you have to have the RPM's up high. As a buddy of mine once said, "you have to ride them like you're pissed off." I've always rode twins. I bought a Yamaha FZ1 and the transition just didn't work for me. I can tell you that the power just kept coming, and coming, and coming. The thing that I absolutetly missed the most was the mechanical music of a V-twin. :boob Just today I was riding my buddy's 1974 Triumph 500 dirt bike. He has a 1/4 mile track at his farm. We all took turns riding until we fried the clutch. It reminded me of my first bike; 1972 Triumph 500 Daytona. It too has a four speed transmission with the shifter on the right. Everyone of us got on it and hit the brake on the left to put it into 1st gear :roll Even though everyone laughed their ass off when someone did it, it never failed. As soon as someone got their turn to ride, they would mash on the brake trying to put it into gear.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I love the sound and low end of a V-twin. I've been considering an RC51 or other since I'm 6'4 220lbs. I'd keep the 6 if possible. Maybe Aprillia.. but you will probably pick up about 100 pounds in weight on a twin in most cases. And as mentioned, top end. Most people that ride liter bikes are hooked on the top end like crack. And also those that ride twins are hooked on the torque like crack.. one of those things.

In the end I think its a matter of what kind of riding you intend to do, do most often, and enjoy.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
i saw the difference between the power curve one day when i met up with a group of guys one night. one guy who i beleive rode a gixxer 750 would do his wheelies and they were always looked like he was havin trouble keepin them up, the front wheel was back and forth in the air, then he jumped on a buddies sv650s and did one and it was the smoothest wheelie i have ever seen, just came up and sat right there in the balance point.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
you can also pick up the new issue of sport riders. They wrote a 2 page article about v-twin and 4cyclinders

1 - 9 of 9 Posts