Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
My R6 eat tires for lunch
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well aint this a bitch... i was trying to change my head cover yesterday thinking that it has to be it for sure that was leaking oil... after 30 mins of trying to take off the air box... i gave up. lol so i decided to just take off the radiator and see if i can get to it without having to go though the air box. Heres what seem ****ed up....It looks as if one of the radiator fans was touching the top of the head cover and made a really deep cut into it (****ing aluminum)...although the cut wasnt a giant hole or anything,it looks like there could be a TINY hole at the end of the cut and oil probably been coming out of that. SO now im thinking i should just clean the area really good and JB weld the hole? is that a Okay idea to yalls ear or what? or maybe buy some of those melting wires and melt it on the hole? will this work since it will be high tempt. and possibly under pressure.... Some advice please

·
daily
245 Posts
oh yeah I bought a bike that had a hole in the head and I JB Welded the sh*t out of it and it ran great until i sold it a week later, dont know how well it worked after that tho. Sure stoped the leak tho!

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
  1. You couldn't get the airbox off? You know that's like 3 screws, right?
  2. You couldn't get the airbox off but you trusted your lackluster mechanic's abilities to get the RADIATOR off?
  3. You think the PLASTIC radiator fans cut a hole in the ALUMINUM engine component?
  4. You are seriously considering using JB Weld on something that, if failure should occur, would trash the entire bike?

That's all I've got. I think I covered the important parts. :nono

·
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
  2. You couldn't get the airbox off but you trusted your lackluster mechanic's abilities to get the RADIATOR off?
  3. You think the PLASTIC radiator fans cut a hole in the ALUMINUM engine component?
  4. You are seriously considering using JB Weld on something that, if failure should occur, would trash the entire bike?

Well well well... i dont know how many screws it is to take off but that bitch is hard.. plus it looked like i needed a star shape allen to remove one of the screws and i dont got that.
2.the radiator was much easier seeing how it was only 2 bolts holding on...(suppose to be 3) plus 2 hoses.
3.no not the fans themselves idiot,but the metal bracket that houses the fan.
4.yes i am considering it since it is a TINY hole and i remember reading it works well with high tempt. but i am not sure thats why im on here asking. and maybe the melting wires would work better who knows... and if neither was to work... i figured it will just start to leak oil agian and i'll just have to buy another cover and switch it out. But like you said i do lack a lil mechanics when it comes to bikes, but How would failure of the weld trash my bike? wouldnt it just start to leak again

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
Well well well... i dont know how many screws it is to take off but that bitch is hard.. plus it looked like i needed a star shape allen to remove one of the screws and i dont got that.
2.the radiator was much easier seeing how it was only 2 bolts holding on...(suppose to be 3) plus 2 hoses.
3.no not the fans themselves idiot,but the metal bracket that houses the fan.
4.yes i am considering it since it is a TINY hole and i remember reading it works well with high tempt. but i am not sure thats why im on here asking. and maybe the melting wires would work better who knows... and if neither was to work... i figured it will just start to leak oil agian and i'll just have to buy another cover and switch it out. But like you said i do lack a lil mechanics when it comes to bikes, but How would failure of the weld trash my bike? wouldnt it just start to leak again
I'm just going to leave this here..

·
daily
245 Posts
oh well if its just a "tiny" hole then use the JB Weld, the hole I had was about the size of a nickel!

·
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh well if its just a "tiny" hole then use the JB Weld, the hole I had was about the size of a nickel!
well the hole was so TINY i wasnt even sure it WAS a hole so i just went out there and poked it slightly with a needle to check and whoops. it is a hole and now it is the size of a pen tip. the JB Weld i have says it has to sit for 24 hours in room tempt. my bike is outside and it is ****ing snowing..... What do yall think about those melting wires? SAW..dER...or w.e it is called, i would need a torch and drip it on....do you think the hot engine can re-melt that?

·
^^^ Ginger here...
386 Posts
You can use JB weld. Take off the valve cover and let it dry inside. I have used JB weld on oil pans for cars. It will hold up, just make sure you clean the area really well of ANY oil. If you're going to do it...do it right. Otherwise, you're just wasting your time.

·
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can use JB weld. Take off the valve cover and let it dry inside. I have used JB weld on oil pans for cars. It will hold up, just make sure you clean the area really well of ANY oil. If you're going to do it...do it right. Otherwise, you're just wasting your time.
THANKS. yea the way i see it, thats the best way to do it but im really trying to avoid taking off the cover cause the airbox/throttle bodies/heatshield/a million things to disconnect is too much for me to do with the little time i have,(the whole day today lol) so i been using the 360 cleaner to clean the area and everything is set to go,except my fear of the JB weld harding in freezing weather and then being awaken by the hot engine. it sounds like shits gonna get messed up

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

man as i read his post.. thought exactly this haha

please take it to a mechanic, then sell it

·
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
by airbox i meant the whole black box with the injectors and all them pipes and stuff, not the air filter area, dammn if i knew wtf i was doing then i wouldnt be here asking for help now would i

·
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok i went with the JB weld anyways. added like a pound to the hole and its looking very hopeful. only time will tell now. Thank you to those who helped

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
by airbox i meant the whole black box with the injectors and all them pipes and stuff, not the air filter area, dammn if i knew wtf i was doing then i wouldnt be here asking for help now would i
Ok i went with the JB weld anyways. added like a pound to the hole and its looking very hopeful. only time will tell now. Thank you to those who helped
Dont get butt hurt, but man read your posts, YOU should not be doing any work on that bike by yourself.
If you think they 'helped' you by having you jb weld your HEAD then you are sadly mistaken. I especially doubt that you even did a good job with the JB weld to where it may have a slight chance of holding up, and now that you put all that shit on there, its going to be very hard to fix when the leak is still there.
Now i understand you trying to do your own work, more power to you, but stay within the limits of your knowledge about motors.
I really hope you didnt fak up your bike beyond repair but seriously, i am trying to HELP YOU, start with something like oil change, spark plug change, air filter, and slowly work your way up on maintenance till your comfortable with the bike, and not calling things 'the whole black box with the injectors and all them pipes and stuff' but actually knowing what it is your taking apart.

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
:lmao SAW...DER :bowroll :hammer

And why didnt you just get a new Valve Cover? Too much $$$? Hmmmmm

1 - 20 of 24 Posts