Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've got a 2012 r6. 2 things, and I'd appreciate the help

I want to check and adjust the valves. I've found only some info on how to do a valve adjustment/clearance. It seems like it'll take some time but its do-able. Anyone ever done this? Instructions and tips w pics too are greatly appreciated

I also wanna mention it has a manual cct installed, dont think that'll affect doing the valves but wanna check...

While I'm gonna do the valves I do wanna adjust if needed the cct installed. There's hardly any info on adjusting manual ccts already installed but all I hear is that it's not complicated to do, does anyone know how to adjust those too,
Which should be done 1st?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cct is cam chain tensioner I should mention lol. And I think I saw that vid, I'll check it thanks. Was also looking 4 details on getting 2 valves, etc.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Valves or valve shims ?
https://www.r6-forum.com/forums/57-garage-mechanical-help/443520-recommend-valve-shim-kit.html

I myself are curious about obtaining a quality kit.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=r6+valve+shim+kit

It appears he's specifying 1.5 to 2.4mm... which based on this...
https://www.klsupply.com/images/valve-shims_App.pdf
may be the thickness and not diameter. That chart lists nothing for our model of Yami... but does mention some bit about hardness. <<"K&L shims exceed the maximum of the Apparent Rockwell Hardness “C” scale. Our shims “average” 47.0 compared to the 46.0 maximum. .................>>

So hardness, might be a factor, or maybe even "the" factor, in quality. I'd imagine that the manufacturers use more than one way to express that attribute, however.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
You mean just shims. You don't replace valves unless they got F'd up. Some shops will exchange your old shims for a new shim if you only need a couple.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
you can screw things up installing a manual CCT too tight. Whats wrong with the stock one??
Adjusting valves isnt hard... just need some good feeler gauges, a rectangle piece of cardboard, and a sharpie. And of course knowing your mm & thousandths of an inch math would help. Oh and dont forget your clearance ranges.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You mean just shims. You don't replace valves unless they got F'd up. Some shops will exchange your old shims for a new shim if you only need a couple.

Yeah, that's what I mean. I'm sure my valves aren't fd up lolll...though my gas mileage is garbage and I hear and from reading the manual that means it may be time for a valve check, course may is the key word ha

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you can screw things up installing a manual CCT too tight. Whats wrong with the stock one??
Adjusting valves isnt hard... just need some good feeler gauges, a rectangle piece of cardboard, and a sharpie. And of course knowing your mm & thousandths of an inch math would help. Oh and dont forget your clearance ranges.

Well my stock one went bad so the manual one was put in.. everyone says the stock ones fail easier

Ok... so it doesn't sound super hard. Just tedious I'm guessing...
good 2 know ??

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Well my stock one went bad so the manual one was put in.. everyone says the stock ones fail easier. And the manual cct is installed already, it just needs 2 be tightened every now and then.
I hear your supposed to tightened it hand tight, start it, see if the ticking goes away, then adjust more if it's not?

good 2 know ??

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The clearance ranges i need tho

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Well my stock one went bad so the manual one was put in.. everyone says the stock ones fail easier

good 2 know ??

well the stock ones are hydraulic ratchet type. They are a wear item.
You can adjust the manual ones with the engine running... I would check the tension before putting the cam cover back on... however you cant run the engine with the valve cover off. :wink:

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
This guy makes a valid point about the type of micrometer that you use to measure the shim thickness...
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=r6+valve+adjustment&&view=detail&mid=E6553E13CF636AFB4977E6553E13CF636AFB4977&&FORM=VDRVRV
...and I've ordered one of that type.

I've decided against the kit, because it's pretty much guaranteed that all the valves will be close enough that, you won't have enough of a particular size to cover all of them. Unfortunately we can't combine two thicknesses to make the one desired. So 95% (made up number) of many kits will be useless.

On the guises of O.C.D. precision between all cylinders, I'll need to take the slower route of disassemble and ordering only what I need.

Also, next to nobody seems to give up the hardness specs on their product. The closest they come to spec is saying they're heat treated. The K&L company I linked to earlier, doesn't offer a 7.48mm or 7.5mm diameter shim.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
5,863 Posts
Download the service manual from here (2008 is the same as yours) R6 Service manuals
The procedure to check and adjust the valves starts on page 3-4 (p 99 in the pdf). The procedure for removing the cams, if adjustments are needed is on page 5-7

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
this isn't a job for a novice. if you don't know how to do this and are asking on a internet forum that means you don't even have a proper service manual. I would suggest you take it to a reputable shop. if you can't find one then make sure you take your time, read the manual over and over. DO NOT RELY ON SOME IDIOTS ON YOUTUBE.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
It's good advice not to rely only on a single source. In addition to the manual, you ask questions on forums, search videos and involve qualified people who surround you. (the blind leading the blind won't help) That's how one learns... from multiple sources first, then experience. Of course, when the risks are low, experience can be the initial teacher. Take detailed pictures at every stage of disassembly. Don't cut corners during reassembly. Torque specifications are damned important. The manual will tell you when NOT to reuse fasteners. This particular one typically just points them in the exploded diagram with the word "NEW"... kind of subtle.

The biggest risk in doing this, (which doesn't seem to be emphasized at all or enough in any of the sources,) is wrecking your pistons and valves. If you allow them to meet, don't just assume that only the valves have taken damage. With some if not all engines, there can be hidden damage that would only be found after removing the pistons.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
this isn't a job for a novice. if you don't know how to do this and are asking on a internet forum that means you don't even have a proper service manual. I would suggest you take it to a reputable shop. if you can't find one then make sure you take your time, read the manual over and over. DO NOT RELY ON SOME IDIOTS ON YOUTUBE.

good seeing you see the "light"...lol :wink::lmao:lmao

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
good seeing you see the "light"...lol :wink::lmao:lmao
I just want to steer people in the right direction. i am being honest when I said it's not a job for a novice/weekend oil changer, tune up kind of mechanic. it's a serious job that requires serious engine timing knowledge and how to use measuring tools like feelers. and if they forget how to add and subtract decimals it's going to go bad really quick.

and youtube is full of videos done by people who seem legit to the less experienced and scary to the knowledgeable. there's a guy who suggests using gasoline to clean chains. does it work? yes, but why you shouldn't use gasoline to clean things never crosses his mind. it's low flash point makes it dangerous.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts