Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm diving in. I'm taking my cylinder head off to do some port work.
Port and polish you ask?
Nope. I'm making the ports SMALLER and I'm sanding them with 60 grit!!
Should make a 6-8% HP increase. That's about 9 HP which should bring me to 116HP.
I'll get pics along the way. Wish me luck.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
haha, your going to be there for awhile doing all this work, and now your going to miss out on bike night arent you. dammit, and i was hopin to get some better vids and pics of everyone this time too. oh well im still curious as to how well this worksout so keep me posted on it :cheers

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's gonna rain Thursday anyway... I know it will. Man, I tried to look up an R6 service manual last night. The Acrobat on my computer was corrupt, so I DL a new version. Still screwed up, then my internet connection went out. I'm on my laptop now so I guess my nic is blown.... sigh. I hope the bike goes better than this...

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
damn dude, sounds like you are having a rough time on all fronts.

couple of questions though. is this the mototune velocity porting deal? and if so, what are you going to use to decrease the size of the ports and how do you know when "when" has been reached (as in just say when). also, i take it the sanding you are going to do, you are hoping to create a small amount of turbulence right where the air and cylinder meets thereby creating a cushion that helps ease the passage of the rest of the incoming air, kinda like a golf ball traveling thru the air (thats why they have dimples, to create a little bit of turbulence to help them travel farther), aka Bernouilli's Principle.

http://mototuneusa.com/think_fast_intake_porting.htm
http://mototuneusa.com/homework.htm

you can **** with Bernouilli's Principle with velocities in a pipe here....

http://home.earthlink.net/~mmc1919/venturi.html

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
damn dude, sounds like you are having a rough time on all fronts.

couple of questions though. is this the mototune velocity porting deal? and if so, what are you going to use to decrease the size of the ports and how do you know when "when" has been reached (as in just say when). also, i take it the sanding you are going to do, you are hoping to create a small amount of turbulence right where the air and cylinder meets thereby creating a cushion that helps ease the passage of the rest of the incoming air, kinda like a golf ball traveling thru the air (thats why they have dimples, to create a little bit of turbulence to help them travel farther), aka Bernouilli's Principle.
Yep. It's a lot more work than I thought. But, I'm halfway there, so I'm gonna get er done.
And yes, this is the Mototune method of Vel. Porting. I will first use an aluminum cutter to gouge the floor of the port, then fill with JB weld as shown in your link. Once that hardens, I will use the sanding drums on my dremel to create the port choke point height. (35% of the original opening height) Reducing the opening by 65%
I will make a gauge (like a mic or caliper) to put in the opening often, to let me know when the optimal height is reached.
Once that is complete, I round the choke point with sandpaper, and rough it all over with 60 grit drums. (creating the turbulence and atomizing the fuel)
Wash all the crap out of the head, and put it back together. If I can get it milled while it's off, I will do that also, but funds might prevent that part.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I feel your pain. Once you get past the air box :scared . I left my bike like that for about a year because it pissed me off that bad. SHe back up and running but I feel for you. I blew a spark plug hole and had to have it redone. Never again. Yes I saved money but it was a pain in the ass to see your bike in two pieces.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I've been to the doctor the last 2 days, so I'm behind. Also, I was stuck on how to get the throttle bodies off. I called the local Yamaha shop and he told me they pull right off by rocking them back and forth. Then, you loosen the boots to put them back on, and tighten them down.

Wish I had known this 2 days ago.... Should have the head off tonight if this works.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
TexasR6 said:
Well, I've been to the doctor the last 2 days, so I'm behind. Also, I was stuck on how to get the throttle bodies off. I called the local Yamaha shop and he told me they pull right off by rocking them back and forth. Then, you loosen the boots to put them back on, and tighten them down.

Wish I had known this 2 days ago.... Should have the head off tonight if this works.
well, its not something you want to rush anyways so, relax, and make sure it gets done right. last thing you want to do is redoing it because you rushed thru it.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just sprained my shoulder, but it was work related, so I had to see a company doc, and get Xrays. Nothing but a sprain. Thanks for asking.

Yea Pen, I'm taking my time. If it takes me 2 weeks, then it takes me 2 weeks.
By the way... the throttle bodies took me all of 30 seconds to pull off using the Yamaha factory top secret method of "just pull it off". Working on dropping the engine now. (draining the oil.)

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
TexasR6 said:
By the way... the throttle bodies took me all of 30 seconds to pull off using the Yamaha factory top secret method of "just pull it off". Working on dropping the engine now. (draining the oil.)
gotta love it when they share their "technical secrets" with ya! :hehe

·
Registered
220 Posts
I wish I had known that when I was installing my slide stops. I am afraid that getting those back on is going to be a lot harder. Good luck with your project. :cheers

·
Registered
527 Posts
Are you pulling the whole head off? If so make sure you put the cams in the right spot when you put it back. Check the service manuel if you have questions

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am taking pics along the way.
Umm..... I forgot to mark the cams when I took them out.. Oh Shit!
And the problem I'm having now is I can't open the service manual. My acrobat reader is hosed. Also, I don't know how to take the valves out. I'm guessing the clip rings, but I don't have clip ring pliers. Sigh... At least the cylinder is off finally.
Oh, and I'll have you know, my wife is out there turning wrenches with me. She's been a big help. :hump

78 mesquito bites, lots of blood loss via my knuckles, and lots o oily rags, I'm almost 1/2 way finished. YAY!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If someone could post how to set the cams back correctly, and also how to remove the valves, I would be most grateful. :) Otherwise, I'm going to go buy a service manual tomorrow. I'd rather have the valves out tonight if possible.

Thanks

·
Banned
786 Posts
porting

from a technical standpoint the dude from mototune has a point, however I'd be leary of using JB Weld. May work for a while, but over time gas additives and compression could cause it to break down. To really do it right port floors should be welded.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts