Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. With a slip-on and velocity stacks would I need a power commander? My initial thought is yes.

2. Does anyone have velocity stacks and did use 2 or all 4?

I've decided against sprokets right now because I'm not sure if only going up 2 in the rear would be worth it, -1,+2 is too much for me you crazy bastards. :flame

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
z31maniac said:
1. With a slip-on and velocity stacks would I need a power commander? My initial thought is yes.

2. Does anyone have velocity stacks and did use 2 or all 4?

I've decided against sprokets right now because I'm not sure if only going up 2 in the rear would be worth it, -1,+2 is too much for me you crazy bastards. :flame
1. do you need a pc3? no. would it help? most definitely.
2. 2 tunes the bike for a broader rpm range then 4. the whole concept of velocity stacks is to control and manipulate the reversion waves that are caused by the incoming air boucing off the closed valves and traveling back up thru the airbox and back down the intake tract and against the valves again....... so on and so forth. the length of the stax controls the speed of the air and what they try and do is make them so that as the air coming back gets back just as the valves open so that it increases effeciency. the 4 stax tune for a narrower range (upper rpm, basically for drag racing) and the 2 stax tune to a broader range. And then think about how much pressure is generated by the incoming air at speed (ram air effect) and how the stax help that out.
The PC3 will help compensate for the extra effeciency gained from the stax so you will be able to add more fuel for the extra air coming in. so you will get that extra performance out of it but you could still live with the parameters that the stock ECU generates to compensate.

·
Knee Draggin Poor Boy
1,238 Posts
Also if you have a yamaha tech as a friend have him reprogram the ECU, it helps trust me. have him reprogram it on a dyno after everything else is done. if you do somthing else, power wise, have it reprogramed again.

When i take delivery of my 05 it is getting an adjustable stator cover, PC3, full titanium hindel or micron high mount exhaust, 2 velocity stacks, and the computer reprogramed on the dyno. They are expecting between 150 and 165 HP at the wheel. :twisted: . my friends say that it is going to kill me but i say it will get me the chicks cause they cant resist the all black beauty.

·
Registered
173 Posts
r6-hybridd said:
Also if you have a yamaha tech as a friend have him reprogram the ECU, it helps trust me. have him reprogram it on a dyno after everything else is done. if you do somthing else, power wise, have it reprogramed again.

When i take delivery of my 05 it is getting an adjustable stator cover, PC3, full titanium hindel or micron high mount exhaust, 2 velocity stacks, and the computer reprogramed on the dyno. They are expecting between 150 and 165 HP at the wheel. :twisted: . my friends say that it is going to kill me but i say it will get me the chicks cause they cant resist the all black beauty.
you mean an R1 with that horse power right.............surely not an R6

·
Knee Draggin Poor Boy
1,238 Posts
no, i mean the r6, i've seen it done with a gixxer 600 and he said it can easily be done on the r6 on the 05 it is only a gain of arround 30 to 40 hp cause the 05 is 123hp at the rear wheel stock, it wont be that hard.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Not to call bullshit but I wanna see that dyno sheet. Don't take this the wrong way I would just love to see an r6 put out that much horsepower

·
Registered
173 Posts
:bsflag

If you get that much REAL HP out of a R6..................forget it......
whatever you think is fine...I dont khow what dyno you saw and from where but thats total crap. you'll be lucky to get 120 horse out of it

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll call bullshit on the simple fact that manufacturers NEVER EVER quote REAR WHEEL HP. The numbers they release to the public are HP at the CRANKSHAFT, which the title to my bike says is 117, then take into account approx. 10% loss due to the drivetrain and you damn near hit the number on the head that Sportrider came up with.

Although I talked to some guys that run a shop in Tulsa and they said every STOCK R6, 03-04, has dyno'ed between 98-102 HP, just further proof that magazines get "prepped" bikes to test from the factory.

·
Registered
359 Posts
full titanium hindel or micron high mount exhaust
I'm pretty sure micron doesn't make a micron high mount if you want a full micron system like the serpent your probably going to need to go with a regular mount. I do know of one person that has a full system with a micron high mount, but he's using a hindle header I think. It's Big Deezul I'm pretty sure

·
Knee Draggin Poor Boy
1,238 Posts
On the Yamaha website under features & benefits it states that it puts out 123 hp but it does not specify crank or rear wheel, i had several of my friends tell me it was rear wheel. i assumed rear wheel cause my buddie with the 04 gixxer 600 pulled 130 hp on the dyno, rear wheel, with a slightly remapped ecu and throttle body adjustments, no power comander, exhaust, ect... does anybody know what suzuki said the gixxer 600 puts out for power cause i cant find it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
whatever dyno your using is a hunk of shit........its waayyy offf.
Dyno's can be as much as 10hp different but thats nutz, Im not accusing anyone of anything but its no secret that some shops change their dyno's to produce candy numbers so customers think the shop has some mad skillz. I'm not tryin to bust yer ballz man but with an 04 R6, graves fullsystem, vstacks, slidestops, BMC race filter and ignition advancer, with a custom made map.....119 hp thats on a sheet rear wheel..no bullshit.

·
Registered
173 Posts
r6-hybridd said:
On the Yamaha website under features & benefits it states that it puts out 123 hp but it does not specify crank or rear wheel, i had several of my friends tell me it was rear wheel. i assumed rear wheel cause my buddie with the 04 gixxer 600 pulled 130 hp on the dyno, rear wheel, with a slightly remapped ecu and throttle body adjustments, no power comander, exhaust, ect... does anybody know what suzuki said the gixxer 600 puts out for power cause i cant find it.
the 04 gixxer 600 was 103.4 rear wheel
130hp my ass, maybe with a 50 shot

·
Registered
38 Posts
r6-hybridd said:
no, i mean the r6, i've seen it done with a gixxer 600 and he said it can easily be done on the r6 on the 05 it is only a gain of arround 30 to 40 hp cause the 05 is 123hp at the rear wheel stock, it wont be that hard.
Gotta say that it`s impossible to achieve without NOS or Turbo. The stock (03-04) usually brings something around 98-105 on the back wheel. On a good day. Engine provides something close to 120hp.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
r6-hybridd said:
............................................................................no

1 - 15 of 15 Posts