Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cuss

does anyone else have extremely sore wrist and back after about 2 hours riding? my crotch and back area have had enough after about 100 ks of straight riding.

Does it get any easier? :?:

Is there any methods to easing the pain? :?:

Does anyone else suffer from this? :?:

cheers in advance. :drink

·
Registered
494 Posts
Wuss! :p haha
Get in the habit of taking a good hold of the tank with your knees and use your back to take the weight off your wrists. I find my fingers will go numb after riding for a couple hours. But i'm able to get some relief by using my knees and back to support myself. After a day or so your back won't be as sore. I never found my back to get sore. I'm kinda tall, i'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.
Enjoy the ride! :jump

Alden

·
Registered
20 Posts
yeah, relief will come to THEE.

I am only 5' 6. First two weeks I worried whether it would ever go away.
But as Yayo says hug the tank with your knees and support your upper body weight with your back and your wrists will ease.
As another rider explained to me, don't have a deathgrip on the handle bars, your arms/wrists should be relaxed so you can flap like a chicken.

Riding at a good speed helps a lot too, the wind takes the weight off.

Happy and safe riding!!!

Yayo you thinking of getting a can? I asked the peeps to post up some sound clips... no one's done that, can't decide between yoshi, akra or micron now... damn it!!!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Do as "YaYoGakk" & "BuLLiT" say, it works.

Another thing to look at is your brake & clutch location & make sure you adjust the height so your wrists aren't "cocked" when riding.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Re: yeah, relief will come to THEE.

BuLLiT said:
Yayo you thinking of getting a can? I asked the peeps to post up some sound clips... no one's done that, can't decide between yoshi, akra or micron now... damn it!!!
I'll likely do something exhaust-wise over the winter. A buddy of mine has a full Moriwaki exhaust on his RC and loves it. He kinda has me leaning that way too. hehe Their attention to detail is amazing!
Check out this pic...

They don't like to bend the collector pipes underneth because it decreases the diameter of the pipe. You won't see many bends from them period. Neat stuff. hehe

Alden

·
Registered
293 Posts
i took a long trip to nebraska in may (which sucked by the way)and didnt really have the wrist problem. it might have been because i was in a tuck most of the time so that changed the position of my wrists. but the back of my neck was sore as hell from holding the helmet up against the wind. the trip ended up taking 11 hours where it only takes 6.5-7 in a car......plus it rained for 3/4 of it. i was ready to trade my bike for a goldwing!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
dont worry, my wrists were hurting the first couple of days when i had got my bike. just try to not grip the handle bars too much and when your gradually giving throttle, don't totally grip the whole bar with your hand, just kinda have a grip on it, and put friction in between your inner palm area, and force it with your hand. It really sounds wierd as hell when I say it, but if you were to do it right, it really works. My wrists got cool after like 3 days of riding. However, my back never started to hurt, cause I figured the position your supposed to be in while riding. Kinda hug the tank with ur knees! :) as to what everyone else says!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice guys the wrists are getting way better. Im using my knees more and im finding the only pain im getting is from my inside palm area on my throttle hand.but thats from gripping the bejesus out of it in the cold...damn i need thermals.

thanks lads have a beer on me. :drink

·
Hate the 405
928 Posts
I would change the posture. When i ride, your arms shouldnot be straight, elbows should be bent, back straight, ass back on the seat. Look at bike coppers, ride close to their poster.
Important thing is to have your elbows bent (MSF teaches that shit, at least my instructor)

·
Registered
131 Posts
pnrfame said:
beat your dick to crissyr6, you'll strengthen your wrists..............lol
WOW revived a 4 year old thread to post some sh!t... great!!! I guess you are one of her secret admirers!!!

·
Riding his own ride...
4,723 Posts
bar ends and good grips help a lot, but riding with the weight off your wrists is the best but it's also not that logical if you're on a long long road trip. Most of these techniques for riding is for racers who don't race all that long. Ride for 5-6 hours the way you "should" and your wrists will be fine but your back is going to be destroyed. No real way to ride comfortably for a long haul. One way isn't best for everyone. I have a bad back so i would rather my wrists hold me up then my back/stomach on a long haul.

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
it will take a while b-4 you come to terms with good riding position. But as others have mentioned you should try to take weight off your wrists. Relaxing your grip on the bars is the first step. No matter what you do, if you have a death grip on the bars your hands will go numb. get back on the seat so you back is arched just a little, this will promote the bent arms needed for a relaxed grip on the bars. about an inch between your crotch and the tank is sufficiant. this will make your lower back a little sore but that is because you are using it to hold yourself up. after you get into better riding shape you will find there is less soreness and cramping. your throttle hand will likely go numb from time to time but that is cause you have to grip the throttle. You will however find that your left hand will rarely ever if at all go numb.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I used to have bad wrist pains, but now I kind of lightly grip the handle bars and try to shift weight off my wrists through the seat.
Anyone get any back pains from riding in that position too long? When I ride I sort of stick by butt out and lightly flex my lower back. It not something I think about but just do it naturally. I tried curving my back but it just feels kinda alkward.

p.s. i didn't relize this right away but who digs up a 4 year old thread? somone was bored! :nocontrol

·
ImGonnaKickYouInTheJimmy
1,281 Posts
Drove ALOT in the past two days. Only complaint is that I hated bringing the clutch in to shift cause my fingers were starting to hurt. Did alot of sweet curvie roadways. :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had that problem for a while when I first got my bike. I found the adjustment of the brake and clutch levers helped and if I would support my torso by straightening my back up it corrected the problem. And you just kind of get used to it. But after riding for two hours you're gonna be a little stiff anyway. Don't forget to strech before long rides.

·
Hate the 405
928 Posts
bad idea to go to school with my back, its about 40 min away. Got to scul, test day, cant write, shaky hands, had to rest for like 10 min. lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts