Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Waiting for remission...
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I get a vibration in my handle bars while braking and I'm not sure what's causing it. I thought it might be the suspension but nothing lead up to it, it just started out of nowhere. Would/could the suspension just start doing that out of the blue? Could it be the brakes instead? It doesn't happen under hard braking, just typical everyday braking. By the way, it doesn't happen all the time and temp doesn't seem to have an effect on it.

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Hmmm....thats interesting...

Im assuming youve been down there an ensured everything is tight? Steering head bearings tight?

Maybe the rotors/pads need to be scuffed/resurfaced...

Your whole front end is aligned properly?

·
Waiting for remission...
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everything seems tight, nothing looks outta wack.

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
Everything seems tight, nothing looks outta wack.
You wouldn't be able to see it. Only feel it when braking. I know this because it just happened to me about a month ago. It's not hard to do. Took me maybe 10 minutes.

Mine got so bad I could feel it when pushing my bike in my garage then hitting the front brake.

·
Waiting for remission...
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like it's the steering stem bolt. :fact

edit: Page 119 shows how to tighten and check it. http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/pdf/2007_R6_Service.pdf

If you don't have the tools you could use a hammer and screw driver to tighten it. Then make sure you tighten the top nut to the specified torque specs.
Thanks, I'll have to check that out. I was thinking it kind of felt like the stem bolt. I know that top nut is tight enough but I haven't really have a chance to go too deep into anything else, just wanted to get everyones opinion.

·
I like cake!
102 Posts
From past experience on my FZ6 when this happened to me it was the Steering head bearings. They got all rusty as the seal had broken, prob when i went down or two many wheelies. I would take it the shop and get it looked at unless you are mechanically skilled, unlike me lol

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
Thanks, I'll have to check that out. I was thinking it kind of felt like the stem bolt. I know that top nut is tight enough but I haven't really have a chance to go too deep into anything else, just wanted to get everyones opinion.
I don't think it would be the top nut. I'm almost certain it's the upper/lower ring nut under the triple clamp.

·
Waiting for remission...
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not the front wheel but I did have to the the triple tree off to get the ignition out so I could have a new key made. Only problem is I don't remember if it started before or after that.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Duno if this helps but I'm getting vibration coming from the back when I go firm on the back brake. I'm gona replace the rear brake disc.

·
Star gazing w/ headlights
68 Posts
I had this problem because my front rotors were warped. I didn't have to even brake hard but I would get a little "shake" in the handlebars. Installed new rotors, problem went away. It may be your steering head nut and bearings but in my case it was rotors.

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
I had this problem because my front rotors were warped. I didn't have to even brake hard but I would get a little "shake" in the handlebars. Installed new rotors, problem went away. It may be your steering head nut and bearings but in my case it was rotors.
:werd It could be rotors. But go cheap first. Tightening the steering nuts doesn't cost you anything but ~10 minutes.

·
MyR6EatsU
107 Posts
I don't know too much about bikes yet because I just bought mines 2 weeks ago
But when rotors are warped on a car it causes the steering wheeel to shake when you press the brakes at higher speeds
Which could mean why your handle bars are doing the same

·
Waiting for remission...
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks a lot DTcrew4, that was exactly the problem. It only tightened a little but it made a world of difference. I only noticed the problem under braking but now that it's tight I notice how much smoother it is while riding as well.

·
Waiting for remission...
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, I was worried that I'd have to spend money on something that I couldn't really afford right now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.