Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
Which new tires?

That looks like a super fun track. Thanks for posting

You have nice fast turn-in when you want to. I was working on that last time I went. I see the video says cornerspeed school or something like that? I really need more cornerspeed. I am such a muff sometimes. Not even half the time am I shooting through the turn fast enough to use/need the full track exiting. Any tips? Workin on reference points has helped a lot so far.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chief!

I am on Michelin Power 1's competition tires.
I decided to take Cornerspeed School so, I can be eligible to race provisional with WERA or CCS. I've never really ridden the 1098 as hard as I used to ride my R6. I highly recommend attending a race school if you want to better skills. The one thing that I was really concentrating was late braking. My 1098 carries more torque and speed compared to my R6 so, I was really suffering at braking. By the end of the day I was getting deeper and deeper into the braking markers to the point of comfort.
Getting a good speed into the turns really depends on the apex. Really hard to give someone pointers without seeing them ride. If you have any videos on youtube I will take a look and see what you are doing wrong.

Chief you made my day and a boost in confidence.

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,251 Posts
Very nice. My favorite course is VIR North. So diverse you never stop working.

If I may, I'd suggest holding turn 4 for a split second longer. It will open up 5 and the approach to 6 as one radius. Once you nail it, it's fun as heck and way fast. Also keep to the inside in 7. Some folks get fooled into believing it's a great place for outside passing. But that could wind up really ugly because it's way off camber.

Your approach through the roller coaster, the 17s and the kink were AWESOME! I see guys blow those apart even after running 5 - 6 events there.

Congrats on Cornerspeed! I've done Level 1, Cornerspin, and I'm heading back for the Pro Riders Workshop this month.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dan.

This video was my very first session. Trying to get more comfortable and finding the right lines. Later that afternoon I figured out all of the faster line for example turn4, 5, and 6. Turn seven cut inside and less braking. The roller coaster can be taken with quite a bit of speed. I believe at one point I was carrying so much speed that it really felt like a roller coaster and then wide open throttle at exit. My gopro was fogging and most of my videos were too horrible to see. Yes, VIR North is awesome. I hope to see you around there in the future. Thanks again Dan.

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,251 Posts
Thanks Dan.

This video was my very first session. Trying to get more comfortable and finding the right lines. Later that afternoon I figured out all of the faster line for example turn4, 5, and 6. Turn seven cut inside and less braking. The roller coaster can be taken with quite a bit of speed. I believe at one point I was carrying so much speed that it really felt like a roller coaster and then wide open throttle at exit. My gopro was fogging and most of my videos were too horrible to see. Yes, VIR North is awesome. I hope to see you around there in the future. Thanks again Dan.
You did great! That can be a tough track to get fast on (I'm still working on sections). VIR full is fun too, and you've got to hit that once or twice. Couple of really FAST sections, but a good rider on a 600 can do very well all the way around.

There are about 20 or so of us on the R1-Forum (and some R6-Forum riders that are starting to hit the days as well) that go to VIR a few times a year. We hit tracks all over. If you are on Facebook, search for Eastside Motorcycle Trackdays and Events (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_158378201210). We arrange a lot of events there. I'll make it a point to start cross posting more of the events that I am attending from the R1-Forum to here.

Hope to see you out there some time and maybe run a few sessions :toocool:

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
Thanks Chief!

I am on Michelin Power 1's competition tires.
I decided to take Cornerspeed School so, I can be eligible to race provisional with WERA or CCS. I've never really ridden the 1098 as hard as I used to ride my R6. I highly recommend attending a race school if you want to better skills. The one thing that I was really concentrating was late braking. My 1098 carries more torque and speed compared to my R6 so, I was really suffering at braking. By the end of the day I was getting deeper and deeper into the braking markers to the point of comfort.
Getting a good speed into the turns really depends on the apex. Really hard to give someone pointers without seeing them ride. If you have any videos on youtube I will take a look and see what you are doing wrong.

Chief you made my day and a boost in confidence.
:cheers

Awesome bro. I will post up a couple videos from California Superbike School (went Tuesday) and will link em here.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turbo Joe VIR is pretty nice compared to other tracks. Although, race cars go there too and tends to beat up turn 7 and 17. Besides those two you will have fun. I will be riding with Cornerspeed on the 30 May. :)

·
n00b
2,325 Posts
Turbo Joe VIR is pretty nice compared to other tracks. Although, race cars go there too and tends to beat up turn 7 and 17. Besides those two you will have fun. I will be riding with Cornerspeed on the 30 May. :)
I am going to try make to a Cornerspin class this year sometime. Then after I have a bit of track time under my belt I am going to take the cornerspeed class.

Summit Point gets destroyed by drift cars lol

·
You see me trollin'
1,910 Posts
very nice man. post up some vids

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've only posted one video. If my gopro did not fogged up I could've produced more. :( Have to experiment with a vented gopro case next time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts