Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed my Vortex Adjustable rearsets this weekend. Went on easy, look really nice. No instructions whatsoever included in the box, but it was easy enough to figure out.

Have them set at the highest and furthest back location and will see how I like that once I get back on the track.

Coverted to GP shifting as well. Took a few times through the gears with the bike on the stand to see how it worked. It is going to take a bit of getting used to.

Not having a lot to compare them with, I will give the Vortex rearsets a thumbs-up.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bet you could jury rig the stockers to GP shifting, would just need an aftermarket shift linkage.

I'll see if I can borrow a digi-cam from someone and post up some pics. When you see it, it is pretty intuitive.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The shifter eats the life of my leather boots? Is it just me or do all shifters do this? (I bought my bike with the vortex rearsets installed)

·
Registered
106 Posts
RockyR6, I have heard different things, and wanted to ask you how strong you think they are? I want to get some, but haven't because I heard they have a tendancy to snap off. I do a lot of stand-up wheelies, and wouldn't want to snap off a peg and dump the bike as I fall off the thing. So I have just been sticking with the stock ones.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just as RockyR6 said You can turn your stock rearsets to GP shift. I took the GP shift rod from my woodcraft rearsets on my 01R6 and put it on my 03R6 with the stock rearsets. I tried mounting the woodcraft rearsets but it didn't fit.
The woodcraft GP shift rod is bent and goes outside of the frame instead of through the frame. Then all you need to do is remove the forward shift link and reinstall it 180 degrees up. Woodcraft will sell the shift rod separatley. Check the website for the cost.

GP shift is best to learn on the street first. You don't want to be on the track near redline and downshift accidentally. It won't be pretty!

I bought the vortex adjustables for track purposes too. I hope their good?
:jump

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
Big_Perm said:
I want to get some, but haven't because I heard they have a tendancy to snap off.
damn, i just ordered my set last week. i never heard of these snapping apart, until now. now i am wondering if i made a bad purchase. anyone know, are these strong enough to bounce a stand up wheelie?

·
Registered
93 Posts
The Vortex design is not intended for GP shifting. They should have included all parts necessary for GP shifting if that is what they claimed - for standard and reverse shifting pattern.

There is no shorter 6mm bolt for the GP shifting. When the bolt is reversed, it interfered with foot movement during left right transition. If you ride like I do, press on foot guard and hook left knee on tank while cornering right, that bolt constantly makes you aware of it's present.

When I email Vortex, Eric Brown returned my mail stated that I will have to get my own shorter 6mm bolt. What the hell! How can they expect their customers to stop what they doing, installing the rearset with dirty hand and tools over the garage, to go out and shop for a shorter 6mm bolt?

Vortex has very bad business practice. They don't think for their customers.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Slowtestrider, please check all your facts when blasting a product.

The Vortex Rearsets come with two shiftrods, so you can set up for standard or GP.

Here is my review http://r6-forum.com/nuke/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9586

with pictures :jump

I say, these are the best out there for the price. I torqued everything and used locktite on all the fasteners. After a short ride, I checked everything again. I ended up needing to torque down one of the pegs a little tighter, but it was not going to come off the bike. I come in at about 190lbs and I stand on my pegs all the time. Solid and well made. AND they are adjustable.

·
FL45HM3
955 Posts
RockyR6 said:
I bet you could jury rig the stockers to GP shifting, would just need an aftermarket shift linkage.
You can. My buddy did this on his '04 and he ablsolutely loves the GP shift mod. It's something I've considered, but for right now the stock shift pattern will do. :hammer

·
Registered
374 Posts
GP (reverse shift) makes it easier to change up a gear when fully cranked over as your foot does not need to be under the gear lever.

Ground clearance is the issue for racers.

Also now you are stamping down on the lever to change up which generally means more positive shift (especially as you consider that most fast riders do not use the clutch to change up) Less missed gears

2 major benefits. :poke

·
Registered
305 Posts
oh yeah i went for a test ride on a R1 at a dealer and the dude there just happen to forget that the bike had a reverse shifter on it, just tells me to watch the tram tracks cause its slippery. Anyway i take off and thought it was a bit sluggish (clicked down thought it was 1st but im in 2nd) so doing about 70kmph and click up.... ohhhhh boy the rear ends dancing like ricky martin. So im like "whoooooaaa what the ****" ride it out and go back to the shop.

I just had a feeling the bike was an x-race bike so ditched that and bought the R6 next to it.

·
What what what what.
1,074 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts