Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a lot of gas caps out there (Driven, JPR, Evotech, etc...), but it seems like the hottest selling gas cap is, the Vortex V3 gas cap! Everywhere I turned it was backordered, until I found a seller on Amazon! I had $89.48 worth of AMZ credit, so it cost me $30.51 for the V3! (
) Ordered it last Monday (6|11) and got it today (6|19)

The weigh of the Vortex V3 gas cap...0.422405 lb

Some pics of the stock gas cap...

What you need to install the V3 gas cap, T4 socket...

Remove the 5 bolts with the T4...

Open the cap and remove the 1 bolt...

The stock gas cap off with the 6 bolts removed...Only going to be reusing the 3 tall bolts...

The weigh of the stock gas cap...0.769192 lb!

Not quite 55% lighter than stock, though! :thumbdown

Doesn't hurt to clean the base with some brake clean...

Remove the stock gasket and cut to fit the V3 cap...

The Vortex V3 gas cap installed...

Gas cap locked...

Gas cap unlocked...

Cap unscrewed...

I now, see why this item is selling like hot cakes! :secret Another excellent product made by Vortex! No wonder, why AMA teams uses Vortex products! Can't really compare the V3 to other gas caps though, first aftermarket cap for me! Install was easy! Took about 30 minutes! Hardest part was cutting the stock gasket to fit the V3 cap! Very happy with the cap! Great design! Very lightweight! Can't say enough! A+

·
Yeah Science!
7,318 Posts
Nice!, I would want a keyless gas cap, but too worried about someone putting shit in your gas tank.

·
Meh
9,233 Posts
I've got (had) the previous version on my track bike, and it didn't vent for shit. I'd unscrew and the gap would jump an inch into the air as gas fumes rushed out. Eesh!

Have you run the bike out in the heat with the new cap yet? I'm curious how it does, since I just had my cap come off while at the track. How the f that happened, I do not know.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Nice!, I would want a keyless gas cap, but too worried about someone putting shit in your gas tank.
Which is why this is primarily a track bike add on.

I've got (had) the previous version on my track bike, and it didn't vent for shit. I'd unscrew and the gap would jump an inch into the air as gas fumes rushed out. Eesh!

Have you run the bike out in the heat with the new cap yet? I'm curious how it does, since I just had my cap come off while at the track. How the f that happened, I do not know.
Been using the Vortex V3 since they first were released, no problems with venting.

·
Meh
9,233 Posts
I just leave mine open a wee bit, and it vents all right.

Not too hard to just turn it open every so often, and vent it.
Mine was getting explosively pressurized over the course of a single track session last weekend. Granted, it was 38* (yeah, that's right, I converted to C for you) out, but still, getting sprayed with gas every time I went to refuel is annoying.

If I drop $100 on a new one, I want it to not be a problem anymore.

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
Mine was getting explosively pressurized over the course of a single track session last weekend. Granted, it was 38* (yeah, that's right, I converted to C for you) out, but still, getting sprayed with gas every time I went to refuel is annoying.

someone correct me if im mistaken, but doesnt the tank have a pressure vent line built into it the dumps out by the oil filter and kick stand???

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
overflow.

·
Suk it, Lee
19,052 Posts

Ya... I see where you're coming from. It wasn't quite that hot my last track day, but pretty close. I've just never really had that problem with mine. I dot tighten it up all the way, and it seems to do the job like it should.

Maybe I'm lucky though. Cause that really is sketchy.

·
Meh
9,233 Posts
someone correct me if im mistaken, but doesnt the tank have a pressure vent line built into it the dumps out by the oil filter and kick stand???
Yup, but I'm pretty sure the gas cap assembly acts as part of the overflow? Either that or the Vortex cap setup I have (not the V3) is interfering with it. One of the control riders at the track used to have the old Vortex and had the same issues.

·
Meh
9,233 Posts
Ya... I see where you're coming from. It wasn't quite that hot my last track day, but pretty close. I've just never really had that problem with mine. I dot tighten it up all the way, and it seems to do the job like it should.

Maybe I'm lucky though. Cause that really is sketchy.
Is the one you have the V3, or the older style that isn't 1/4 turn and doesn't have the lock?

Like this:

·
Meh
9,233 Posts
Interdasting. Maybe mine is installed wrong or the vent is plugged. I have noticed that the overflow tubes below the coolant reservoir seem to be missing.

I kind of need a new cap anyway, since mine is laying somewhere out on the track at Willow Springs, and the female threads on the base are kind of mangled.

·
Suk it, Lee
19,052 Posts
:bowroll well ya, a new cap would probably help but...

I can take some good pics of what exactly I have going on with my cap later, and post them here of you'd like, an see of you maybe did something, the opposite of right.

·
Meh
9,233 Posts
Well, the track bike is someone's ex race bike that I bought. I didn't install that shit, or it'd totally be working right and not have mashed up threads. At least that's the story I'm sticking to.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.