Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have my stock shock on my 06 r6 and it has 70k+ miles on it. I was given a 07 or I think 08 shock off an r6 with a 1/10th of the mileage and an eibach spring on it. I think the shocks are the same so mounting it up shouldn't be a problem but I can't figure out the part number and what weight the spring is for. I know it came off a track bike and I do 10+ track days a year so I'm thinking it could be beneficial to me to do the swap. Anyone have any advise on if I should do this or not even bother?

This is the information I have found so far:

Part # 0600.225.0525 Eibach Spring 2.25" ID - Length 6", Rate 525

With gear I weight around 200 and have never messed with my stock spring just set the base suspension as much as you can.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
If you have it in hand, put the thing on and then try to set your sag. You can know the numbers and people can swear up and down what size will work for whatever weight, but none of that means shit if you can't set up your sag properly. There are also a lot of variables that people tend to forget. A bike with race bodywork will weigh less. Is the weight that someone uses to suggest a spring with or without gear? Lots of people wear different gear.

If you aren't into doing it yourself, or checking it yourself, take the bike to a local suspension shop and have them set you up.

That said, you have the spring rate right there. 525 lbs/inch

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Is there a way to calculate that into actual rider weight?
Not really, every bike is different and depending on your type of riding you might need a different weight. Talk to a suspension guy. R6's are usually pretty common at the track so they will have an idea of what you need. I'm new to the R6 world so I don't really feel comfortable giving any advice on that.

I'm honestly surprised that nobody else has chimed in from this site. I figured with all the knowledge and track guys here somebody would jump in. I guess everyone is too busy arguing about which color hid's and ebay fairings they should get.

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
The stock spring is a 9.8 kg/mm spring (approximately 548 lb/in if I calculated correctly).

Your weight would call for around a 10.7 kg/mm spring (approximately 600 lb/in; again, if I calculated correctly).

The 525 lb/in spring would be in the 9.3 kg/mm range.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The stock spring is a 9.8 kg/mm spring (approximately 548 lb/in if I calculated correctly).

Your weight would call for around a 10.7 kg/mm spring (approximately 600 lb/in; again, if I calculated correctly).

The 525 lb/in spring would be in the 9.3 kg/mm range.
Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you sir. Guess I will see about finding another shock when needed.

Anything I should look for or do as far as maintenance for my stock shock with the mileage it has? Forks I know but don't have any experience with the rear shock.

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you sir. Guess I will see about finding another shock when needed.

Anything I should look for or do as far as maintenance for my stock shock with the mileage it has? Forks I know but don't have any experience with the rear shock.
Most suspension shops will service a shock (all consumables: oil, nitrogen, seals, bushings etc) for around $150 or so. So it may be a good time to just ship it to someone and buy the spring. Plus side is they typically don't charge for the spring install since the old one has to come off for service. If you had a deficiency with the shock or were making a large spring change I'd recommend new valving to match the spring, but often going up or down one spring rate doesn't make a huge difference in my experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts